What is your mindset entering a MTT

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

The title pretty much says it all, so I am curious if you guys have a mindset if you're joining an MTT/SnG's tournaments and if yes what is it?

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
More generally for MTTs ideally I try to put myself in enough profitable situations to go deep in the tournament and to give myself a shot at winning or finishing in the top three.

These finishes will be where the majority of your profit has come from at the end of the year.

Stay aggressive, take what the table is giving you, and don't be afraid to get in there and mix it up with loose and inexperienced opponents.

Good luck to you! :D

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
My mindset basically is this:

I play wild as hell and love coinflips (I only play survivalist if I notice that the others are willing to kill each other off to get me ITM)

I play TP early on but go randomly TAG with extreme AG as the tournament goes on and at the ending I am totally LAG I do not give a single damn.

Tournaments are luck and no matter how you look at it, cash game is where real grinders make disciplined money because they are not adrenaline junkies.

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More generally for MTTs ideally I try to put myself in enough profitable situations to go deep in the tournament and to give myself a shot at winning or finishing in the top three.

These finishes will be where the majority of your profit has come from at the end of the year.

Stay aggressive, take what the table is giving you, and don't be afraid to get in there and mix it up with loose and inexperienced opponents.

Good luck to you! :D

very great information and thanks for the tip! :D

Good luck as well!

nyjah0

nyjah0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Russ - Prosper (Prod. Scott Storch) NEW 2017 - YouTube

I play wild as hell and love coinflips (I only play survivalist if I notice that the others are willing to kill each other off to get me ITM)

I play TP early on but go randomly TAG with extreme AG as the tournament goes on and at the ending I am totally LAG I do not give a single damn.

Tournaments are luck and no matter how you look at it, cash game is where real grinders make disciplined money because they are not adrenaline junkies.

I like the way you change your gear in different scenarios and I'd like to say that's the perfect gear routine in tourneys and it would just depend on your skills for you to actually win it. :D

and yeah they say cash game is where the real poker player grinds and the tournament is just like the dessert of it but at the moment I only play in freerolls. :)

P.S: I ****ing love Russ music and that in particular :D

P

PepeTurtle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always focus on my decision making, I think every decision while playing must have a 'why' and if I am not 'extracting this why' from every act I know this the 1st step to commit mistakes.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the way you change your gear in different scenarios and I'd like to say that's the perfect gear routine in tourneys and it would just depend on your skills for you to actually win it. :D

and yeah they say cash game is where the real poker player grinds and the tournament is just like the dessert of it but at the moment I only play in freerolls. :)

P.S: I ****ing love Russ music and that in particular :D
I've found that a lot of more thought-out rap lyricists have scarily accurate lyrics to the lifestyle/mentality of a poker grinder. If you replace 'rap game' with 'poker' and replace 'slaying beats' with 'sucking tables dry' etc, there is so much linkage between rap and poker.

There is an artist, Chris Webby, who literally makes ACTUAL poker references in his raps and I don't know if it's intentional and if he began as a poker grinder or something.

Listen to this rap and analyse his metaphors, there is so much poker referencing in it even shark-like simile at some point I think:

russ looks a lot like I do especially the hair and stuff. If I didn't wear a bandana normally or kept my hair more trimmed and was a little darker than I am then we'd basically be twins (I'm actually half sri lankan just happened to be a lot whiter than brown).

Last edited:
Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty tight and looking to get it all in when I have a monster. I will let aggressive players take the lead when I have a monster and let them hang. If that's not working out for me I don't mind taking some coin flips, you are going to have to win a few of those to do well.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Russ - Prosper (Prod. Scott Storch) NEW 2017 - YouTube

Interesting perspective. It seems to be better to risk falling early, but if not fall and farther than the first to get in the money and then fall.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always played to try to get into the money, often without success, maybe it's time to try to be aggressive to fall soon or try to go further.