What Would You do if This Happened to you ?

B

BeckyFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay , so i am sitting in a heads up , Holdem Match $500+20 .
Usually i never play heads up , But figured since i dont have much time , and i dont play ring games , just sng's and tourneys ill give it a shot .
I join and within a minute another player arrives , Game on it's 5:15pm .
Seem's like a nice guy , Wishing gl before we play and nh , after each hand ....
Its now 5:55 , way more than i expected and we are about even .
He started to slow down just a little bit on his moves and i commented , "Please play a drop faster i need to go" . That was my biggest mistake !
The Guy waited for the time clock to arrive each and every move , Each hand started taking very very long . We are still almost even , i have 1300 , he has 1700 , But its now 7:20pm and i am late to close a federal building .He is waiting for the clock to come on every single hand , every single card dealt , thats slower than on a live table with a really slow dealer . Very upset knowing if i start going all in i may lose my $520 in an unfair manner .
I Really dont want this guy to win now , but then again i can only be so late .
7:45 approx , and i am soon to realize thats it i cant take it !
I Start going all in every hand ..
He takes a long time and folds , till finally he called a hand i had 4-5 , he had QQ ... And ended up winning .
I wasnt thinking , i could have gave a freind my password and had him/her sign on my name and play .. or ??

This happened to me on pokerstars , i would like to hear what you have to say on this ...

I Have searched for this player to offer him a rematch because i felt i had been beat , by someone who used something other than poker to beat me . But when i found him he was on a 5 cent 10 cent table , so i didnt bother

All The Best Becky

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well he really didn't do anything wrong other than exploit the fact that you were in a hurry. I might get a bit miffed in the same situation. Having said that you should never play a tournament if you aren't certain you have the time to finish it. Remember no favors and no friends at poker table when there is money on the line. ;)

O

OrionShadow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that is a very underhanded way to play, but you will come up against people like that when it comes to money. most will do anything when it will almost certainly mean they will win.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True but when there is a time set on how long to act.. There is no set law that one has to do it quickly. It is a strategy that can be used and he used it to his full advantage.

bigjace

bigjace

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it took over 2 hours to play,the blinds would be at least $1000/$2000 and as you started with $1500 in chips its a bit unlikely isn't it?
I like your name though beckyflush!

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm - kind of with Bigjace on this one. 2 and a half hours heads up - first 40 minutes played normally, how many hands would that be? 40-60? then just short of 2 hours with him stretching out everyhand (15 seconds + 45 seconds time bank - is that right?). So say 90 seconds per hand, that's another 70 or so, so you've played 120 ish hands? Am I way off? Seems like you had plenty of opportunity, and just what was the blind structure? Sorry if i've got this wrong but it seems a bit odd!

B

BeckyFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Blinds did not go that high . Look into the room Blinds increase every 30 Minutes .

Cheers Becky

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BeckyFlush said:
...and i commented , "Please play a drop faster i need to go"

Leave the bold bit out next time.

duesXmachina

duesXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tilt till you drop

Unfortunately youve already stated exactly what happened. Your huge mistake in coming right out and saying you were in a hurry to end a 500 dollar match. All he needed was an edge to get into your head so that when you slipped he would be waiting. It did work to a T did it not? I am not trying to be condescending to you, but you seriously took yourself out of the game at that point by giving him a means and a motive to do what he did. Poker must be played by people that can adapt to the kind of game they are involved in right now, in Turbo games people on the bubble who are short stacked will also run the clock to zero, different game different reason; same stratagy. Try not to give your opponent any edge on you, no matter how frustrating his slow play was before, it could not have gotten worse than it did once he knew how to get under your skin for an easy $500. That sux. :frown:

bigjace

bigjace

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BeckyFlush said:
The Blinds did not go that high . Look into the room Blinds increase every 30 Minutes .

Cheers Becky

In that case you've learnt a pretty expensive lesson Becky.He's took the one piece of info that you give him and exploited it fully.Not very sporting but thats poker(and poker players!) for you.You'd have been better off playing a stt as they usually take 30/40 mins to complete.
Put it down to experience and i bet you'll not do that again.

gordo30

gordo30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i,m sorry but i don,t see what the guy did wrong,poker is all about tactics and play.ok you gave him the oppertunity to exploit the fact that you were in a hurry but i don,t see the difference between that bit of info than say him determining what type of player you are and changing his play in order to win.
the only good thing to come out of it is that you have learned not to give too much away.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exploiting small advantages ! Thats what the guy did. You should never give your opponent any sort of advantage over you, especially in such a high buy-in game. Bad player to use it, but hes still five hundred bucks the richer !

Chalk it up to experience and move on !

B

BeckyFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I appriciate all the replys , You guys are great

Cheers Becky

mattisme

mattisme

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im sry that had to happen to you hopefully hell except a rematch and you will win your money back

T

tomdog33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that I would have done the same, as long as its not against a friend.