What would you do? Holdem tourney situation

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tourney situation. So the entry fee is not really an issue. However no rebuys. You drove 5 hrs to reach the event. Public event. A lot of different ranges of experience. From none to pros. You get ready to start the tourney, and your dealt QQ, your sitting (co+1)late table position, first hand. It’s folded to you. You raise 2.5bb, co folds, button folds, and the small blind shoves all in first hand. What do you do sitting with QQ? Would you do the same with KK? You don’t know this person in the small blind, nor have ever played against them.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play live, so take this with a grain of salt.

But I don't see how the drive time to get there should even be a factor. As a fellow human being, I understand how it would be, but I think you need to do your best to disregard this fact and look at the game as the game. It's a poker tournament like all the others.

I think you play the hand the same way you would play the hand against an unknown if the tournament was 5 minutes away from your house.

Seems to me that "not wanting to take +EV risks early in the tournament because it took you five hours to get there" would be a leak?

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If I went out for 5 o'clock to play a tournament, I would fold pocket queens. If the buy-in does not matter, then I came to have a good time to sit in the tournament as much as possible, even if KK came to me, it's very disappointing to be eliminated from the tournament at the very beginning.

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ty for your response.

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! First, with regard to time! It seems to me that time is the most irreplaceable resource in our life. Everything can be replenished, and health, and emotions, and impressions, and even more so money ... but not time. Therefore... - Secondly, with regard to the distribution! I wouldn't go all-in even with AA. I came to play! I was getting ready for a very long time, I was driving for a very long time, I was thinking about this tournament on the way and losing 22 + 2 set for example ??? This is too embarrassing and stupid!

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tough call--good chance you are up against AK--did this happen to you? If so what did you do and what happened?

T

tomazal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney situation. So the entry fee is not really an issue. However no rebuys. You drove 5 hrs to reach the event. Public event. A lot of different ranges of experience. From none to pros. You get ready to start the tourney, and your dealt QQ, your sitting (co+1)late table position, first hand. It’s folded to you. You raise 2.5bb, co folds, button folds, and the small blind shoves all in first hand. What do you do sitting with QQ? Would you do the same with KK? You don’t know this person in the small blind, nor have ever played against them.

I would do the same as Alexey, fold. I came to play, not to fly out after 5 minutes.

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate all the responses. Ty. I folded QQ. I went on to place in the money, low end. I have not been in that situation with better, such as KK, or AA. As for those 2 hands, I probably fold KK. However, I’m almost certain I would not fold AA.
With rockets, I see it a bit differently, I came to play Holdem tourney, If I would get the best hand, first hand, I’m probably calling without much thought. I would rather know early if I have any luck on my side for this tourney. If I get beat by a set, or a suck out AK flush, so be it.

B

Brodenfresg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

QQ can be vulnerable and it is likely against jj, aq, ak, kk, aa. I personally am calling with kks and folding QQs on a freezeout. Rebuy or reentry it is a snap call.

B

Brodenfresg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Chip leader with 6 people left

I am 2 to l chip leader on second place with 6 people left and everyone else is relatively short stacked(less than 10bbs). I am at 100bigs. The second in chips raises button 2.5. I call with a7. flop 10,7,2 rainbow. Check around flop. Turn A. I check raise. He bet twice pot and I raise 90 percent of his stack. He snap calls leaving 10 percent behind and turns his card over. Should I have gotten that involved. I ended with second.

Attachments

• 1010s vs a7.jpg
    1010s vs a7.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 41
M

moularaki

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think you did the right thing by folding
at least you finished in the money and had a good time
that's the only good news

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends. Too many factors: buy in, big blinds, length of blinds etc. But when someone just shove vs you then he is a probably a bad player so I guess I would call.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without knowing the opponent, I would certainly give up. Winning this hand won't make me win the tournament, however losing it leaves us out. Then fold. Kk and AA. Probably call.

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! First, with regard to time! It seems to me that time is the most irreplaceable resource in our life. Everything can be replenished, and health, and emotions, and impressions, and even more so money ... but not time. Therefore... - Secondly, with regard to the distribution! I wouldn't go all-in even with AA. I came to play! I was getting ready for a very long time, I was driving for a very long time, I was thinking about this tournament on the way and losing 22 + 2 set for example ??? This is too embarrassing and stupid!

I'm not picking a side between calling and folding here with QQ. But to the people saying you'd fold just because you don't want to risk elimination early, and that you "came to play"... did you not "play to win?"

Folding AA in this spot is ridiculous. I mean it's fine for rec players, but I don't know why strictly rec players would be asking about the spot in a forum....

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not a call I would make early in a tournament. I try to avoid calling all-in's pre at the best of times, unless i'm stacked. Early in tourneys, I much prefer to see flops & make decisions thereafter, i'm not risking my tourney life on coin flips, pre-flop, within the first few levels.

S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically I wouldn't call with QQ in the first hand you are playing in a tournament, villain can easily have AA or KK and wants to seem like a fish. You still have the whole tournament to go and just wait for a better spot to play.

And for the A7 spot, I would not have called that hand preflop, even if you hit the A your kicker is easily beat by the initial raiser. Just wait for better spots to play the hand.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding QQ???

Really folding QQ? I don't think it matters if it is the first hand or the 100th QQ wins approximately 80% of the time so what is the quandary? I guess you are assuming the all in is holding something better than an 80% of the time winner?? The only time I would really consider folding QQ is on the bubble. close to the money...:):):)

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Risk vs Time

After driving 5 hrs - I wouldn't risk getting slammed on the first hand

Queens is a dangerous hand - I've been slammed 5 times with queens in the past few days - once with BOTH Aces a Kings in the same hand - lol

Just this morning, I was up against 10s and the guy rivered a straight

In poker anything can happen - might be a better strategy to only go all-in pre-flop with AA -

Even then you can get cracked, but the risk is as minimized as you can get

TC

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you bring up a tough situation. if I got KK, snap call. my rule of thumb is if someone comes over the top on me, whether they shove or 4 bet, I call if I have AA,KK, QQ, and big slick. I think time to get there is irrelevant, and wanting to go deep is irrelevant. I wanna win, and if I get one of the best 4 hands in the game, the only way I don't call, or raise, is if an earthquake hits. my only thought is winning the tourney..

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greatly appreciate the feedback on this thread. Ty

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In such a situation, I would fold. After all, the opponent is not familiar to me and his shoving range is about 3%.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules