What would you do? Does sportsmanship come into play, or is winning the only thing?

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I want to make it clear that I don't believe there is really any correct answer to the question that I am going to pose. We all have our own opinions on what is the right way to handle any specific situation. I play poker tournaments because I love competition for it's own sake, and I believe in not taking unfair advantage of other competitors. "Unfair" advantage can be a very gray area sometimes, especially in situations like this one.

You are sitting at the table and notice that the player beside you is flashing his or her cards when peeking at them. Do you:

A - Take advantage of the unique information he or she is providing for you?
B - Avoid looking at them?
C - Inform the player of what he or she is doing?
D - Do something else?

My answer is B and probably C as well. The reason being that I believe it would be unfair of me to take advantage of information that none of my competitors have access to. I don't judge someone poorly for taking advantage of it, I just do not think that it is a sportsmanlike thing to do. Maybe it is because I watched so many westerns while growing up, that I have followed my own code for a lot of things throughout my life. So what would you do?

lilunicorn

lilunicorn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I PREFFER TO BE FAIR, MAYBE BECAUSE I'M STILL LEARNING. CAN'T REALLY BE A bluff OR AGGRESSIVE PLAYER, I GUESS THAT'S WHY I'M NOT SO GOOD LOL.

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C - Inform the player of what he or she is doing.

John Wooden once said: “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are…the true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.”

For someone with a moral compass, the answer should be to inform the player they are making their cards visible in the hopes that they correct it. If they don't, you've done your duty and can try not to look at their cards; however, if you keep catching them out of the corner of your eye, you can't really be blamed. If they continued to do it, I, for one, would call the floor to start issuing penalties because it skews the entire game in your favor, and that is not how the game is designed to be played, which would make it less fun. Cheating and/or abusing game mechanics to be "successful" in poker is simply disgraceful. Plus, you're lying to yourself if you think that you're playing well by doing something like this, and it diminishes your character as a person.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Interesting question.
My answer will also be B and C.
In general, to be honest, I believe that it is worth using all possible means to win, but at the same time I will always adhere to my personal moral principles.

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!

My answer is C, with good vibes I warn you that you are showing the cards

Are you showing your :ac4::ah4: :D

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to make it clear that I don't believe there is really any correct answer to the question that I am going to pose. We all have our own opinions on what is the right way to handle any specific situation. I play poker tournaments because I love competition for it's own sake, and I believe in not taking unfair advantage of other competitors. "Unfair" advantage can be a very gray area sometimes, especially in situations like this one.

You are sitting at the table and notice that the player beside you is flashing his or her cards when peeking at them. Do you:

A - Take advantage of the unique information he or she is providing for you?
B - Avoid looking at them?
C - Inform the player of what he or she is doing?
D - Do something else?

My answer is B and probably C as well. The reason being that I believe it would be unfair of me to take advantage of information that none of my competitors have access to. I don't judge someone poorly for taking advantage of it, I just do not think that it is a sportsmanlike thing to do. Maybe it is because I watched so many westerns while growing up, that I have followed my own code for a lot of things throughout my life. So what would you do?

I do B as a firm rule. If the player is holding his cards in a way many people can see them (like holding them up high) I inform them. Personally I dont like it when people show their cards other than when obligated to. I never hesitate when its my obligation to show or show first. I just roll those puppies over. often times i Have insisted that the rules be followed and people show in turn as obligated to do by the rules of the game.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
C - Inform the player of what he or she is doing.

John Wooden once said: “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are…the true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.”
I love that quote. :qh4: Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning and nothing else, there is no truth, sports I leave it aside here

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to take both in order to be a great player and to be followed by the fans.

Takoyaki

Takoyaki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is online there is nothing to think about, we play (by the rules) and we try to win no matter what.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had such situation in home game and just told the player to hide better his cards so option C for me.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars