What strategy do you use for satellites?

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As freerool games at poker stars decrease, satellites are the best opportunities for players on a limited budget. With that in mind, what strategy do you use in these tournaments?

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is only one strategy here-to assess the situation-the satellite is friends with the strong.I think that ace high and shove will not work.You have already been there-tell me what you did not succeed?Maximum exposure to match the prizes.Playing in the top is what I do.But not always, and it helps).

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play as a regular tournament on the beggining, close to the bubble I try to steal blinds when favourable.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As freerool games at Poker Stars decrease, satellites are the best opportunities for players on a limited budget. With that in mind, what strategy do you use in these tournaments?
A player in such a tournament should play more conservatively than in a regular tournament. On the bubble, play should be particularly conservative. Moreover, it should be more conservative than in SnG tournaments. This tactic is due to the fact that in the prize zone the value of the last place does not differ from the value of the first place. In addition, if a player can get to the prize zone, it will not matter much how many chips he has left by this moment. Depending on the stage of the tournament, the strategy of playing in satellites also differs.If the size of the player's stack does not provide him with getting into the prizes, and the player is below the prize places, he needs to pay attention to opponents who are in a similar situation or are close to it. The tactics of the game should be aimed at ensuring that such opponents leave the game before the player, increasing his chances of getting a prize. To achieve this goal, the player can use a common technique - stalling for time and making a decision in the last seconds of extra time. In this case, there are more hands at other tables, and the blinds come faster and more often to players with small stacks. As a result, such players can be eliminated from the tournament faster.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in short: Just like any tournament. You don't have to play any other way just because it is satellite.
So I recommend that you play these to the best of your ability! :)

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Tks!

I don't know how long you've been playing, but in the past PS had more freerool games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play good and safety. If you happen to build a large enough chip stack dont compromise losing it by calling everything just because you have the chips. If you are guarantee a prize then no need to play any hands if you can cruise your way into the next round.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think your game strategy should be any different when you play satellite. You must definitely increase your pot at the start of the tournament to be able to compete for tickets. A big risk, aggressive game at the start of the tournament is a must. But to win multiple hands or all-in situations, you have to be lucky.

I don't think that in fast satellites you need to study your opponent carefully and play very smart. Of course, you should not play exclusively all-in, but very bad hands should be thrown away. You can't sit around and be completely passive for too long, it'll kill you... Aggression is very important and I think much more than in normal tournaments at the late or middle stage...

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
As freerool games at Poker Stars decrease, satellites are the best opportunities for players on a limited budget. With that in mind, what strategy do you use in these tournaments?

most satellite's are hyper so i play only premium hands and when deep play premium, suited connectors and one gappers

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the main advantages of playing satellite tournaments is facing a generally weaker field, as professionals do not usually invest so much time in satellites. In addition, many play as if these tournaments are the same as all other tournaments, which we will show here that is not true. Answer quickly: would you fold an AA after an opponent's preflop all-in? The natural answer is “never”, as it is the strongest hand pre-flop, isn't it? Be aware that in satellite tournaments it may be correct to drop AA pre-flop. For example, imagine that you are the second in chips in a turbo satellite tournament that rewards 20 players and there are 21 players alive, meaning you are in the tournament bubble. The player with the least chips has the equivalent of two stack blinds. The chip leader goes all-in and you look at your AA. The best thing to do in this case, oddly enough, is to fold the AA. That's because, being second in chips, you will certainly be in the top 20 and win the prize. It is a matter of time before one of the short stacks is eliminated, so even though your AA equity is approximately 90%, the other 10% risk of losing your hand (and consequently the prize in the biggest tournament) makes it call a bad move. Simply drop AA and just wait to beat the satellite. Did you notice how satellites require a different strategy than other tournaments? Strategies like "playing to be champion" and "pressing the bubble" sometimes lose their validity in this type of tournament, for the reasons mentioned here.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellite should be played relaxed and waiting for your hands, the best thing to do is to fly out as many as possible in the time you fold yourself, so play patiently and wait for your hands

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate them, so id like to not play it

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The strategy in satellites is exactly the same as in freerolls. Push the weaklings out of the game. And it does not matter whether the cards come to you strong or weak.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have a spare scuba tank with me.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good day!
Exactly the same as in regular tournaments - a good, balanced game, except that in satellites I will not play border pots if I have a passed stack.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play satellites in which addon and rebuy cannot be done.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Have 2 tickets to satellite events in unibet atm with games about to start in 5 mins or so ...

One specific strategy is in mind indeed so guess let's see how bad idea this actually turns out ;)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important part is understanding the icm of the format, some will play like a double or nothing and some like winner takes all. Its a great opportunity gain an edge against opponents who do not pay attention to the icm of the format.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play satellites 6 max 2 tickets, very fast and convenient

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the late stage of the game in satellites, you should not limit yourself to observing the progress of the game only at your own table. Having opened the tournament lobby, it is necessary to constantly monitor how many opponents remain at the adjacent tables. You also need to track your position in relation to the prizes. If at the late stage of the tournament a player has a large or medium stack and is already among the candidates for tickets, then he needs to narrow the range of starting hands as much as possible. At the same time, he should choose a waiting tactic: that is, the player needs to wait for opponents with short stacks to fly out of the tournament and when the distribution of prizes begins. A game in a similar situation can be considered with an example:With a short stack, you should be careful to play against the chip leaders who have a lot of chips. Even a player's all-in can be an insignificant bet for them, and they can open a player with a middle hand without much hesitation.

Poker Tells