What Percentage of Flops should we play? (Freerolls/Micro MTT)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Cardschat, Im wondering what is a good percentage of flops to play, or what would be considered a normal percentage for a large field freeroll/micro MTT.

Im just going over some basic stats from my last few tournaments. (Large Field freerolls) and would like to share them in hopes to better understand the information provided. These are regular format, not turbo.. if that makes a difference. I feel like I play a little bit tight, rarely opening anything but the goods from EP (AQ+,TT+). I also do not try many blind steals with garbage, as in these tourneys u will get called often very light. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. (Number of flops played is marked in bold)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Finished in 197th place (out of 1489 players)

94 hands played and saw flop:
- 2 times out of 11 while in small blind (18%)
- 6 times out of 11 while in big blind (55%)
- 10 times out of 72 in other positions (14%)
- a total of 18 times out of 94 (19%)

Pots won at showdown - 3 out of 5 (60%)
Pots won without showdown - 7
------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished in 46th place (out of 2809 players)

126 hands played and saw flop:
- 1 times out of 13 while in small blind (8%)
- 8 times out of 15 while in big blind (53%)
- 7 times out of 98 in other positions (7%)
- a total of 16 times out of 126 (13%)

Pots won at showdown - 8 out of 9 (89%)
Pots won without showdown - 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Finished in 86th place (out of 1514 players)

110 hands played and saw flop:
- 6 times out of 13 while in small blind (46%)
- 8 times out of 13 while in big blind (62%)
- 9 times out of 84 in other positions (11%)
- a total of 23 times out of 110 (21%)

Pots won at showdown - 3 out of 6 (50%)
Pots won without showdown - 8
----------------------------------------------------------------
Finished in 43rd place (out of 3326 players)

178 hands played and saw flop:
- 3 times out of 20 while in small blind (15%)
- 8 times out of 21 while in big blind (38%)
- 11 times out of 137 in other positions (8%)
- a total of 22 times out of 178 (12%)

Pots won at showdown - 8 out of 10 (80%)
Pots won without showdown - 4
----------------------------------------------------------------

- All combined a total of 79 times out of 508 (16%)

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t have exact numbers, but I think my percentage of flops played when I used to be competitive on pokerstars was around 20-25%. The early game pre-antes would always be much lower. As soon as the antes raised the number of chips to be won with a small raise I would begin attempting steals from position, as well as raising for value with my legit hands. I’m always interested in acquiring chips!

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The question depends a lot on how the table is flowing at the moment. In the case of frerolls, usually with 30 min we already have half of the players out of the game, you understand? Anyway, their results show a constancy, which is a good sign.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls early on people go all in regularly with junk. You need to play tight and let them shoot themselves unless you got a monster hand. Your percentages seem decent and probably a bit higher than mine.

Later on when the blinds get high with antes you need widen your range more and try to steal some pots. Hopefully with the image you have this will work in position unless you’ve moved tables a lot.

Be interesting to see the flop percentages based on early, middle and late tournament. You seem to be cashing well, unless there a lot of misses you didn’t include.

Good luck.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls early on people go all in regularly with junk. You need to play tight and let them shoot themselves unless you got a monster hand. Your percentages seem decent and probably a bit higher than mine.

Later on when the blinds get high with antes you need widen your range more and try to steal some pots. Hopefully with the image you have this will work in position unless you’ve moved tables a lot.

Be interesting to see the flop percentages based on early, middle and late tournament. You seem to be cashing well, unless there a lot of misses you didn’t include.

Good luck.

Hi, thanks for the tips. When the blinds get higher, I have a little trouble pulling the trigger with less then stellar hands in attempt to steal blinds. No matter how tight my image is, I always find myself getting called light and losing the pot. (It also doesnt help to stop them from stealing my blinds.. grrr) It really depends on the opponent and if I have been watching the table (no HUD). This is something I need to work on, as I think these small uncontested pots are the difference between a good run and a great run.

As for the start of the tourney, I play pretty tight and try to see some flops with speculative cards. If I hit a decent made hand, I get as many chips as I can in the middle as the fish will be calling and willing to go to showdown with pretty much anything. I will avoid any All-In in this stage from fish unless I have KK/AA (This was my biggest issue when starting out, I would call with KQ+, 88+ and end up busted a lot of the time).

The further into the tournament, I completely drop the lower suited connectors and will only play lower pockets pairs and middle suited connectors if there have been several limpers before me. (good pot/implied odds). Mostly stick to Big Aces,Kings, some suited Aces, Suited Broadway Connectors and of course big pocket pairs. If my stack gets low, I play a push/fold strategy that is very tight unless Im really on life support.

I played all of these tourneys in one day (Was my best cashing streak so far of 3 in a row), and I was running pretty good. I dont do this well everyday of course :). I looked up my stats on sharkscope and there was a few stats there I felt are pretty solid considering this is my first month playing poker that wasnt of the wsop/Zynga variety.

- Average % of field beaten - 67.7%
- Average entrants - 1818
- Late finishes (Top 10%) - 31.9%
- ITM% - 29.8%

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you win freeroll you are monster poker player ;D

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
win freeroll its hard because peoples are playing so stupid and gambling with all card range ...

Freeroll Passwords