What is the meaning of tournament speed designations

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the difference between regular, turbo and hyper turbo tournaments.
I don't understand how game speed can be controlled.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They are talking about starting chip stacks & for length of blind levels. Hypo-Turbos for instance have, I believe, 3 minute blind levels, Turbos & regular games have longer blind levels.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1

They are controlling the speed by how fast the blinds move up. If you look in the lobby a regular tournament may have 10 min blinds, turbo 5 mins blinds, hyper 3 min blinds.

This matters because in a regular tournament you have lots of time, you have a far better chance of being successful as a TAG player because you can wait for your hands and pick your spots.

In a turbo tournament, things change quite a bit. Very often the levels go up every orbit. While this doesn't seem like much when the blinds are 10/20, once they get bigger it certainly changes the dynamic of the game.

A hyper turbo is just lottery.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course its the blind progression speed. I had not thought of that.
Thanks for the info.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its about blind levels. On normal tournaments blinds hold for longer time than in turbo for example.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Speed of tournaments is about blind changing ....If blinds are raising fast for example.Hyper and turbo tournaments are faster than regular.I prefer turbo and hyper MTT because it is fast and you got a lot of value if you win .

M

Monkhouse1991

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, as many others have already said, it's blind progression levels. I vehemently try to avoid hyper turbo's. If you have somewhere/something else to do, I would take a chance at trying them, but they generally end within 3-4 hours depending on the capacity of people in the tournament, but after the first two hour mark; it becomes an all in shove party.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
the difference would be the time in which the blinds change, which in my opinion influences the pressure that the player would have to win chips, the hyper tournaments that I have seen play them push-fold for the need to win chips, the tournaments that time regular the player has a little more chance to get further in the tournament