What hands to play on freeroll tournaments

D

Devspuch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! My names Zakhar!
I noticed that on freerolls I can live a maximum of an hour.
Sometimes I'm at the top sometimes at the bottom.In regular tournaments, everything is fine, I can win, I can lose. But on freerolls in 65% of players, beginners do not understand. And they can go in the first hand all-in!! (with 2-3 suited) (just man pressed all-in with A 4 unsuited)

I have 2 question - How win freeroll tournaments? And what hands to play??

Last edited:
infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me personally, a freeroll is no different than any other tournament. I always try to be patient and play the right game, no matter the cost of the tournament and no matter who my opponents are.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
High pairs and suited connectors are the best way to me.. sometimes flert a low pairs.. bluffs.. ever atention with your position..! GL!

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on your same path, I think you have to take more time to study the table and those possible players to break the scheme, and from there they just develop the strategy to follow with them

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you know this you can now take advantage of opponents light shoving. I would recommend keeping the best notes you can on any opponent who jams because you might run into them again. In the note, write what hand they shoved, what position they were in, was it an open jam, jam over, or call, and of course write what hand they flipped over if you get to see it. This will allow you to get a read on their shoving ranges. Important because some players in freerolls also know many others do this so they will shove with their premium hands instead of the open raise they normally would do. They know others will think everyone going all in is usually light and they have a good chance of getting called when they do this with a strong hand.

As far as what hands to play, I would say play the hands that are your normal range. Your normal range is your call as some player are 12/10 players and some are 30/22 players. The only difference early you have to make in my opinion is if you have one of these all in nuts to your left you will have to tighten up otherwise you will be open folding to a jam a lot. When they are to your left, only open hands you are willing to get it in with. If you have to play nitty, thats fine. Worst case is you will bleed down to 15-20 BBs and then you can play push/fold.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why play freerolls if you are doing fine in regular tournaments ?

Basically i think there is no difference between freerolls and paid tourneys.
It's the same game. The same cards have the same odds in both of them.

Only difference: In freerolls you are paid for your monsters far more often.
There are more bad players and that means you get many chances to win
large pots easily.

Unfortunately that also means you will suffer more bad beats. There is nothing
you can do about that. You can only play well and try to get as much info on
your opponents as possible. Once you figured out who the donks are -> Take their stack,

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi! My names Zakhar!

I have 2 question - How win freeroll tournaments? And what hands to play??
Freerolls usually play two ways early, everybody limping every hand or somebody going all in or huge bets with trash. I think with either, you need to start with a overly tight range.

UTG - AQ+, 99+
Middle - 77+, AT+, KQ
Late - 55+, Axs, QJ+, 78s
If the table is full of limpers, you can set mine small pairs with a limp or min raise.

You can raise your strong hands more than your weaker hands. Nobody will notice. Don't bluff. bluffing doesn't work in freerolls.

Don't be afraid to over bet. If you hit the flop, try 1/2 pot sized Cbet. They usually call. If you think they are chasing, bet huge. They expect to hit that flush or straight and will call.

When calling all ins early, I like to have QQ+ or AK. There is no reason to risk your stack calling with AQ or 99.

Freerolls require patience. You might survive for an hour before you hit a big hand. Or you might double up quick and then the good cards leave. You can't rush the poker gods. They will tempt you with pretty suited connectors like QJs when you're UTG, with J9s in middle position, with K8s on the button. Playing hands like that will chip away at your stack. Wait for the best playable cards for your position. If you do, you'll have enough chips left to punish the villains.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls usually play two ways early, everybody limping every hand or somebody going all in or huge bets with trash. I think with either, you need to start with a overly tight range.

UTG - AQ+, 99+
Middle - 77+, AT+, KQ
Late - 55+, Axs, QJ+, 78s
If the table is full of limpers, you can set mine small pairs with a limp or min raise.

You can raise your strong hands more than your weaker hands. Nobody will notice. Don't bluff. Bluffing doesn't work in freerolls.

Don't be afraid to over bet. If you hit the flop, try 1/2 pot sized Cbet. They usually call. If you think they are chasing, bet huge. They expect to hit that flush or straight and will call.

When calling all ins early, I like to have QQ+ or AK. There is no reason to risk your stack calling with AQ or 99.

Freerolls require patience. You might survive for an hour before you hit a big hand. Or you might double up quick and then the good cards leave. You can't rush the poker gods. They will tempt you with pretty suited connectors like QJs when you're UTG, with J9s in middle position, with K8s on the button. Playing hands like that will chip away at your stack. Wait for the best playable cards for your position. If you do, you'll have enough chips left to punish the villains.

This is really good advice! I've been playing freerolls for a while now and your post makes so much sense. I will try to start applying some of that in my game. Thanks!

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! Depends on which freerolls. If there are several thousand participants, of course, the variance is large, the chances of winning are small. But you still need to play as usual. Track players, weak ones can be well caught and take their chips. The main thing is not to play with garbage cards, as most people do. Well, it depends on how fast the blinds grow. As a rule, many freerolls are hyperturbo. This is even more of a lottery. Here you need to open more hands (+ cards with pictures, connectors, ACE high )

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usually you should play tight good hands and taking advantage of crazy players who are always giving away chips :D

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This is really good advice! I've been playing freerolls for a while now and your post makes so much sense. I will try to start applying some of that in my game. Thanks!

I also like the advice only to call an early Allin with Q-Q+ or A-K, I lost too much of a call with 7-7 against 8-8 / A-Q against A-K or similar situations.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in freerolls you need god cards at the beginning of the tournement so you can call many all-ins ,and when you have a big stake the other players go not so often all-in and you can play looser ,I think that is the only way to get in the money

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think there is a big difference between a regular tournament and a frerroll. because the more you advance in the game, the better the playing level of your opponents will be in both cases. it is true that at the start of the game. you can meet more fish on a frerroll but in my opinion it is an advantage. against a player who does not understand the game. It is advisable not to bluff him and to play against him with good hands. but above all to be patient and let him make mistakes in order to benefit from them.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are 90% luck :) it's true. Of course, no tournament can be won without luck, but when you enter the tournament for free, you do not risk anything, but you can earn this is the main thing! You should understand that the players who are in the tournament (Freeroll) make a huge pot, this is due to super aggression and luck. You can't play the Freeroll passively. You need to be very active especially after the middle of the tournament, and have a chance to take a risk to increase the pot. Players are not afraid and take risks because they see a free prize, remember this! Take a risk and you will see how you pass on and on ;) good luck ;)

Absolutely bad hands are not worth playing, but hands that have a very small chance, of course it is worth playing! Freerolls are very large hand ranges!

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still not win any freeroll, but my strategy is - just fold first 3-5 hands, except monsters. After few first hands many and many "random all-in players" will decrease or loose all theirs bank, and you will be able to play as you usually play)

Last edited:
L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls and smaller stakes tournaments, there are players who play very loosely. I recommend watching your opponents play and recommend a tight aggressive style.

GGthiagoXD

GGthiagoXD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi! My names Zakhar!

I noticed that on freerolls I can live a maximum of an hour.

Sometimes I'm at the top sometimes at the bottom.In regular tournaments, everything is fine, I can win, I can lose. But on freerolls in 65% of players, beginners do not understand. And they can go in the first hand all-in !! (with 2-3 suited) (just man pressed all-in with A 4 unsuited)

I have 2 question - How win freeroll tournaments? And what hands to play ??

GGthiagoXD

GGthiagoXD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone knows I love poker playing makes me feel good and happy, but I'm not doing well because I've been nervous playing for 11 years Poker and I've been studying the game. The cardschat freerolls are the best I've ever played and I didn't make any results I have lost in the emotion I'm not playing comfortable if I feel comfortable working with patience my mindset is better now the focus is on applying what the best poker pro teaches us so it's there in my mind, studies just dominate my mind and don't let the game go with the wrong cards. but to play is to play cards with gameplay and to play well implies falling playing the right way if we make the cards and the results will do the rest, I still haven't made any results but that alone has made me evolve in the understanding of the game. GGthiagoXD

GGthiagoXD

GGthiagoXD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to be a professional poker player so I won't look back Jeff Gross gave me this incentive and I will comply. the structure of the Freeroll has to be comfortable so that beginners can work on their game what they learned calmly, structure 100 bbs or regular Deep Stack is a good opportunity, I am not happy with my posture I was unable to develop my A game in the freeroll I want to be in the heads but I don't expect to win all freerrol cardschat but playing well in position with the correct cards doing what should be done identifying the players etc ... but playing well the best I can this is my duty as a poker beginner winning or losing !! XD ThiAGo

Darkray

Darkray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alin pockets win with a 70% chance, I advise))

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
There is no magic formula to win and well you have to be able to guess the future to know with which cards to enter a bet, you just need a lot of patience and follow your instinct, you yourself just said that in the premium hand bet with 2-3 , A-4 etc, I could say good bet with AA but that does not mean that you are going to win

K

Keith557444

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight the 1st hr let the fish get knocked out play your top hands only the only hands i play during early stage of a freeroll tourney is AA KK QQ AK sometimes depends on who is playing and dynamic of table in the first hr after that i open up

K

Keith557444

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hink most freerolls alot of players go all in and get a big stack right away but then they lose it all before money because they think because big stack they can play every hand so i only play top hands AA KK QQ AKs during the first few levels then i will open up because most will start playing better and tend not to shove every hand. Play smart like a reg tourney and you will do fine

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally, a freeroll is no different than any other tournament. I always try to be patient and play the right game, no matter the cost of the tournament and no matter who my opponents are.

My feelings exactly. Same goes for non-poker too. In everything I try, I usually approach it with a similar mindset. In poker, I play freerolls like it was real money on the line. My hope is that it will make the transition to real money feel more natural. Many people play differently with real money or not (tempting to call off players and pay to see hands with games of no real money etc.), but I think that is a psychological mistake. You play how you practice. If you train to play with real money, then why would you play differently without said money on the line?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands