What goals should tournament players have?

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Taking big risks early in a tournament in order to build a stack big enough to go deep might be a reasonable strategy for the superstar pro, but it’s not the best strategy for the rest of us. Instead, our primary goal can be simply stated as: Cash first — win later.

Steve Selbrede has given us a little insight on what goals should be as tournament players.

Poker Strategy for the Rest of Us: Cash First, Win Later

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just please don't apply this concept for $0.1 turbo MTSNG/MTT.
It works only if getting this money back is crucial for you. Which most likely means that you are playing too expensive and your bankroll can't handle it.
This article completely ignores the future prospects of every stack size.
Doubling up from 9 to 18 bbs won't change much of your playstyle, however, getting to 40 bbs instead of 20 changes things quite a lot.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st goal is to enjoy the game! 2nd goal is to create the table image of a brain dead maniac! 3rd goal is to win all the chips! But i guess early risk taking is important to make the middle stages less taxing when the blinds come around. And you can't win unless you cash 1st of course!

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know for the Poker pro they probably have their sites set on making the Final table but for me I know just making the money is an accomplishment and every time I play a tourney I hope to cash and then from there play to move up the pay scale.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has always been my position in all the tournaments "Cash first - win later" I think that in the conclusion of the article tells us all the important thing is to try to survive until the bubble burst, after that try to climb positions and see if You can win the tournament. for me, this applies to all types of tournament from a live tournament with a big buy-in to a free. Thanks for the article, enjoy reading it a lot

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Tournament strategy

One important thing for tournament strategy is table presence & table image. What kind of image & presence do you want to portray to the table? Well first you need to find out who your playing against by taking notes the first 30 minutes to an hour at least maybe more.

Then use this data you have accordingly against these players & what types they are or the way they play.
Take mental notes of what hands you get to see they play & how they played it.
Look for tells with their eyes, head movement, body language, way they handle the chips, how they talk or speech play which are one of many & possibly more.

Once you have all this data then you can proceed with an agenda or how you plan on using the data & knowledge of them against them or their play.

That's only the first step. But a good starting point. Good luck at the tables!

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to disagree strongly!
First of all, this is very close to "fold AA pre-flop" logic because we don't want to get beat by KQo near the bubble and therefore lose money!

Tournaments are not satellites, and winning just a small amount by barely getting ITM is not going to generate profit over the long run.

First of all, if you are ITM in around 20% of MTTs which is considered to be a great stat then you need to win 5x your buy-in on average to be profitable in the long run.

For all those who are playing short-term poker, (once in a while sit at the tables and have fun) then yes, fold your way to the money. If someone is trying to be good at this game on all levels (especially profit-wise) then folding strong holdings just to get ITM is just not good enough!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Overall I play for the fun as I love playing this game. When I play I play for the win and nothing else and will take calculated risk. Now when we are at the bubble and if my stack is not so good I will then play for the cash and once that's secured I go for the win but overall I am going for the win.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking big risks early in a tournament in order to build a stack big enough to go deep might be a reasonable strategy for the superstar pro, but it’s not the best strategy for the rest of us. Instead, our primary goal can be simply stated as: Cash first — win later.

Steve Selbrede has given us a little insight on what goals should be as tournament players.

Poker Strategy for the Rest of Us: Cash First, Win Later

My goal is to make the final table, then I'll go for the win.