What does it take to win at poker in the long term?

J

joeyvegasboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

I busted out of a shot of a satellite today in higher stakes than I normally play in a single tournament to be in a tournament way high stakes than I normally play (lol),

and I wondered, what does it take to win in the long term in poker?

For instance today I made 2 crucial mistakes, 1 where I didn't call with a lower pocket pair despite because I was on that 20-30 BB Range and put the guy given the tournament structure etc. exactly what he had (higher pocket pair) QQ where I had 88's and folded pre flop to a 2.5 BB raise and of course a dang 8 came on the flop. And then later on putting the guy again on a higher pocket pair grilled me when I called his 3 bet and hit my J of AJ and he shoved with QQ's (unknowingly) while I had only 8 BB left so i called him and got the bad news (basically saying to myself theres no way I have him beat). So I understand these are 2 leaks I need to plug. Maybe this is a rant idk but what does it take to win in poker long term?

Is it balancing your ranges? Is it playing GTO? Is it the combination of GTO and exploitative play in regards to tournament structure? I always notice and when watching live high stakes poker tourneys it seems everyone is so dang loose in a sense but really I assume it is because they know when and how to cover/exploit every bit of edge? Is it simply just bankroll management/game selection? A bit of all I guess?

Im curious to your all thoughts Ive been playing now for about a year and a half and although no doubt have improved I am just trying to get a better sense of the bigger picture! Thanks! :)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always notice and when watching live high stakes poker tourneys it seems everyone is so dang loose in a sense but really I assume it is because they know when and how to cover/exploit every bit of edge?

I have bad news for you. Watching videos of such tournaments is not the best way to understand the game. Moreover, they often gather in such a way as to show the weakness of the players, or the effectiveness of stupid decisions. "Fish" should not think, she should pay!

Very often, when you see famous guys playing at very expensive video bets, you should understand that they are not playing for their money. In fact, for them, these are candy wrappers, because players from the poker room team play for the money of the room itself. Their game is paid. They can afford to win or lose without looking in their wallet. The main thing is to make an attractive game. Attractive for new players who do not understand anything in the strategy, but thinking that winning is very simple, it is often enough to put all-in with 96o. Poker is interesting because if you want you can justify almost any action, calling it fold equity, bluff, gto, and many other buzzwords. However, some decisions and justifications may contradict others ...

Do not be scared. Just stick to your strategy, watch your bankroll, and you will succeed, sooner or later.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the name of Churchill at the conclusion of the Second World War, it will involve "blood, sweat, and tears" to complete your life trials and emerge victorious.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for almost 10 years. The last four years I manage to get regular income from the game. That is, I spent about 6 years to study and gain experience.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
But honestly, I play poker for fun, not for the sake of money.

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to play poker for a long time and then you will find the answers. at the initial stage, learnibg basics and a lot of practice are needed. gl and hf with poker!

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In one of my favourite video game's quote "Endure, in enduring grow strong." So just keep on playing and learn from mistakes.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it takes patience and good cards

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me poker is fun I don't think I will never master it. I try to play hands at different times which I feel are going to win. AAs don't hold up all the time. For me it is a feeling I get at times and position.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it would take a good amount of discretionary funds and time. I couldn't imagine just jumping in and trying to make a career of it starting from scratch, or even starting with a lump sum if I didn't know I had a safety net. I know people do it but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say that for every example of a success story, there are a ton of examples where people have failed.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have bad news for you. Watching videos of such tournaments is not the best way to understand the game. Moreover, they often gather in such a way as to show the weakness of the players, or the effectiveness of stupid decisions. "Fish" should not think, she should pay!

Very often, when you see famous guys playing at very expensive video bets, you should understand that they are not playing for their money. In fact, for them, these are candy wrappers, because players from the poker room team play for the money of the room itself. Their game is paid. They can afford to win or lose without looking in their wallet. The main thing is to make an attractive game. Attractive for new players who do not understand anything in the strategy, but thinking that winning is very simple, it is often enough to put all-in with 96o. Poker is interesting because if you want you can justify almost any action, calling it fold equity, bluff, gto, and many other buzzwords. However, some decisions and justifications may contradict others ...

Do not be scared. Just stick to your strategy, watch your bankroll, and you will succeed, sooner or later.

Well said!

I have also been struggling with the idea that "I am just kidding myself with this game". I think i have a good understanding, though I lack the guts to pull off some of the "big plays" that it seems like it takes to win. My biggest problem is that I feel i am playing great and then i get beat by some 2 outer (4%) or a miracle runner runner (4%) and then i am sent packing. I know i can't wait for the nuts, because they don't come often enough, but it sure seems like a 96% equity is more than enough, but it just isn't. I am at a loss as to where to go next and what else I can do.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience and BRM ......

If you're good at poker the above two things are what is needed.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Studying, practicing and patience.
When finish this cycle, do it again, again and again. Do not follow the lady luck, but, if she comes, treat her very well.

It could be take years.

Best of luck for you.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Discipline and studying I think.

B

Blakepc91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline and passion for the game.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can defnitely make money in tourneys, but the variance is incredible, which is why you need to be prepare and discipline.
in the short run can play for fun and hope to win.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people make big money from the very begining of they journey with poker, some of people are playing many, many, many years and still learning without any big income. There is no answer for that, luck, skill... nobody knows :D
But practice, practice, practice :) Never give up :)

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

I busted out of a shot of a satellite today in higher stakes than I normally play in a single tournament to be in a tournament way high stakes than I normally play (lol),

For instance today I made 2 crucial mistakes, 1 where I didn't call with a lower pocket pair despite because I was on that 20-30 BB Range and put the guy given the tournament structure etc. exactly what he had (higher pocket pair) QQ where I had 88's and folded pre flop to a 2.5 BB raise and of course a dang 8 came on the flop. And then later on putting the guy again on a higher pocket pair grilled me when I called his 3 bet and hit my J of AJ and he shoved with QQ's (unknowingly) while I had only 8 BB left so i called him and got the bad news (basically saying to myself theres no way I have him beat). So I understand these are 2 leaks I need to plug. Maybe this is a rant idk but what does it take to win in poker long term?

Is it balancing your ranges? Is it playing GTO? Is it the combination of GTO and exploitative play in regards to tournament structure? I always notice and when watching live high stakes poker tourneys it seems everyone is so dang loose in a sense but really I assume it is because they know when and how to cover/exploit every bit of edge? Is it simply just bankroll management/game selection? A bit of all I guess?

Im curious to your all thoughts Ive been playing now for about a year and a half and although no doubt have improved I am just trying to get a better sense of the bigger picture! Thanks! :)
if you know how to play well consider and understand the position on the table and make the right decisions in the cards, then you should be able to win, maybe in the first game and not succeed, but in future games you should be able to win, just in the game you need to reset even very strong cards to lose less - and at some points you need to play even aggressively to raise and win more, with experience in the game you will get somewhere to win and take good prizes, so I wish you good luck in your yes neyshih games!

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
keep playing, remember variance is a total bitch that will hurt you but you can overcome with patience and methods. play gto, lag, play OMC if you want to. just keep playing and analyze your play and hands. play in alot more lower stakes, it will give you more experience. try playing a bunch of 3man sitngos, i find they're great practice for final tables or when you're short players.

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to change the way you think, brother. You will never become a good player being results oriented. Hitting the 8 doesn't change whether it was the right play or not.

To be good long-term you need Bankroll Management, software, study, and game selection.

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all,

It takes tons of patience, tons of discipline, and at times...a little bit of luck (good cards).

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You must be more patient! Try not to put so many in your thoughts, and be simple. As much as you play you will gather more experience. Do not give up and do not jump to fast conclusions, be patient!;):)

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making sure to spend just as much studying the game as you do playing. Which means finding a group to study with, that understands next level thinking...

The ability to know when you are ahead and lose compared to when you make a mistake. While being able to handle the losses where we make the right decisions, and still lose. Cause they will happen....

And the ability to comprehend the infomation you learn in study seshes, and adapting those techniques in game.