What do you think about rebuys and add ons?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A rebuy has its place. An add-on is a "protection racket"...(ie it's dodgy as ****).

Let's start with Rebuy. I don't mind letting people blow themselves out, restock and blow up again. To me, that puts money in the pot. Great for me. For the re-buyer, it gives them a second chance. So its win-win and increases the total number of paid positions (or higher paid positions)..

Add-on's though are a con that we should all be pushing back against. The big problem here is that it devalues the position of the tourney's winners so far. There is often a large change in the purchase value also, with the add-on being cheaper than the original buy-in. All of a sudden, those with a solid strategy find themselves having to pay again just to stand still. That is unjust.

Poker sites should not be constantly looking for more ways to make a higher percentage from each game. (I think they are charging too much as it is). Antes and rakes are too high too. (Go on, change my mind!)

It is interesting to me that, when I was a bigger noob than I am now, I loved add-on's. The reason is that in one fell swoop , I was back in the game, with a middling stack without having earned it. Now that I play much more and generally am faring better around the add-on period, it is more of a hindrance to my success than a benefit. Essentially, whatever edge I had is erased. If I choose NOT to buy the add-on, then I am moving backwards. So that means I am FORCED to use the add-on facility, or accept the handicap.
So no. Don't like the options that are solely there to increase table revenues without adding to the game.
I posted in this thread before I read what you had to say. Just wanted to say I totally agree with you! I think add-on tourneys totally suck! Rebuys are OK. Cheers, A

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
poker sites want the money spread around so nobody goes broke fast

. they just take their buyin fees forever , and bleed everybody dry . addons , as mentioned earlier by other posters , give the weaker players a better chance at cashing and do a bit to prevent stronger, and more patient opponents from collecting too much of the cash pool .

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play tournaments I try to win my add on from the ppl at my table.

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you can afford it, I think you should go for both since you start the tournament.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Sometimes i like to play those tournaments, because u have the chance to reenter when u run into a badbeat...add on is also nice, because u can pimp up a lower stack to an important moment of tournament... ;)

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too much time

I think rebuy tournys are great IF they limit the rebuy period. On BOL the rebuy period goes for up to 3 plus hours which is just ludicrous in my opinion. If they limited rebuys for 1 hour after the cards fly then it would be better otherwise it is just good for the BINGO players who push with any 2 cards b/c they know they can just jump back in.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think rebuy tournys are great IF they limit the rebuy period. On BOL the rebuy period goes for up to 3 plus hours which is just ludicrous in my opinion. If they limited rebuys for 1 hour after the cards fly then it would be better otherwise it is just good for the BINGO players who push with any 2 cards b/c they know they can just jump back in.

For serious players, this is discouraging.:smile::smile::smile:

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Hate em. Wish they were all freezeouts. Cut out this all in, all in crap.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello all!

What do you think about rebuys and add ons?
I personally don't like rebuys and addons. I don't like to find myself thinking "but I can rebuy!" and calling when I should not. Of course it is a way for poker sites to make more money but I think it is not good for the game. In my opinion, after buyin everyone should be in the same situation without giving an edge to those to who just go all in all the time and rebuy.
As everything in life is like Poker, it gives you another chance with rebuys and addons to increase your chips and continue the battle.:cool:

K

Kichidk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
irebuys are for maniacs and fish...i dont like knocking the same palyer out 3 times and he rebuys then adds on. there should be more freezouts.

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this gives an advantage to the weak and rich players, and if you are a good player you won't need it))

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I do not like re-buys and add on tournaments.Just play them as a sattelities to the main tourney when there is no any choice to avoid them. But it is ok for me with 3 re-entries.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play these games as if they are not re-buys and if I am having a rough go of it in a particular tournament, often times its just best for me to move on and play in a different one instead. When I have used the re-buy option, often times the variance continues to be somewhat the same in that particular game and its usually not worth it for me.

As for the add-ons, depending on how my stack is doing I might buy an add on.

They are not my favorite type tournament though, as then I need to be prepared for the large amount of time they take and so many people don't take them seriously and therefore a ton of all-ins constantly until the re-buy period is over.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, rebuys and add ons can destroy a tournament. I understand that poker sites wants to improve the revenue but some big tournaments/freerolls have a really bad rebuy configurantion.
It is something that need to be well planned.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. 15 to 20 levels for registration and as many rebuys as a person wishes. It will wear on you if you last. Played one the other night for over 6 hours, crazy, huh?
Dan'O

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the help of these features, poker rooms avoid overlays and offer large prize pools, which attract more players and, accordingly, profit in the form of rake for poker rooms.

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll

i dont like rebuys or addons so i dont play them very often

MsUniverse

MsUniverse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your wallet allows you, rebuy and feed the regular :)

Dmondo

Dmondo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really fun but you should always set a limit. Its easy to get tilted and keep re-buying sometimes.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally don't like rebuys. It stretches the game too long.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to not like em. I like em both for there is more money in the pot.good luck

Jurgensad

Jurgensad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice question.
So, I don´t like rebuy and add on. Cause the players turn the game into bingo.

I don’t like them either. And you are right, they go all in every hand. That is not playing poker.

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone wants to rebuy weather you a bingo player or a pro semi-pro or just a seriously player, if your a serious player why are they bad they give you a 2nd chance and yes can create some chaos amonst bingo players, in my eyes they are adding to the prizepool, so whats the harm?

voljare1234

voljare1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the extra purchase either, because in this case the person is braver as she knows she still has chips and it is difficult to play against her and the game will be longer this way ..