What do you think about rebuys and add ons?

L

Leifhackman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all!

I personally don't like rebuys and addons. I don't like to find myself thinking "but I can rebuy!" and calling when I should not. Of course it is a way for poker sites to make more money but I think it is not good for the game. In my opinion, after buyin everyone should be in the same situation without giving an edge to those to who just go all in all the time and rebuy.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a big misunderstanding, that people gain an edge by "going in all the time". Sure they might have a higher chance of cashing, but since rebuys are not free, and they are making negative EV plays, they have a lower chance of winning money.

It is however also negative EV to play with "scared money". So if you often find yourself in situations, where you go to lengths to avoid being all in in a poker tournament, you are almost certainly not playing well either. Even if rebuying is not possible, you still need to be prepared to risk all your chips at any point of the tournament, if it is the right thing to do.

As for R+A tournaments, if you dont like them, dont play them. There are lots of regular tournaments without add-ons to choose from instead. If you do play them, you should always have at least 250 times the buyin in your bankroll, because you are going to be spending money on add-ons and rebuys in top of the original buyin. So for instance 550$ for a 2,2$ R+A, 1,250$ for a 5$ R+A etc.

As for shootouts you can find some of these as well. However I have to say, that a lot of people talk about, how terrible it is with endless rebuys and long late registration periods. But apparently these people dont put their money, where their mouth is. 888 Poker recently introduced a new series called "the classic", which are shootouts with only 70 min. of late registration. And they have largely been a failure forcing 888 Poker to already take away the 10$ event and reduce the price guaranty of the 25$ event.

So dont be surpriced, if in the future you will only be offered games with unlimited rebuys and late registration running, until a starting stack is less than 10 blinds. Because apparently these are the games, which the majority actually play, and which are therefore able to make money for the poker sites.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like rebuys and addons.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it is the worst way to stack because it is not chips won by your own metiro but by simple repurchase, I like to take those chips from the recreational players because they always despair and then the face they put is the best hahahaha

cloroquiner

cloroquiner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's ok, and it's a good way to grow up de prize of the tournament

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-buy MTT's can be profitable for players who've adopted solid old-school style of play because of the many speculative all-in moves especially in the early stages. Still i don't like fast and more gambling based structures.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don´t like rebuys and add ons! I prefer always play the freezeout tournaments :):)

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think rebuys in tournaments are good, they help you to be better off in that tournament.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me it is not the rebuy and add ons its the late reg. some go on for hours.

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think they are good for helping to increase the payout, especially in micro tournaments. But I avoid repurchasing and adding as much as possible.

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like rebuys nor add-ons,I always prefer playing freezeout tournaments,but there aren't many of those nowadays,unfortunately.

L

Leifhackman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see this question from the point of view of playing profitable game or not. To me they just kind of ruin the fun. Especially early in MTTs it seems like it is in many cases flipping a coin for a good while. More than anything it's boring.

zvezdadelije

zvezdadelije

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They both can be beneficial under the right circumstances. There are certain tournaments like the hyper structure which can give you a significant edge over the field.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a fan of rebuys or add ons, it encourages players to splash more for the chance of building a stack. I have always enjoyed a freezeout format, when you bust you're out. I like it where you can pressure players into tough spots or have them hero call with worse with no chance to enter again.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rebuy and add-ons are okay. I avoid ones with 3 hours of late reg, and a low re-buy cost. Hate to have to knock out the same player 3-4 times.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hello all!

df3e5507a9d990f318402682fe7aaa38.png

You have to go into the game with a set amount of rebuys that your willing to make and stick to it.

:top:​

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a good +EV strategy then in my opinion it's ok to addon. As far as rebuys are concerned I feel it's ok to rebuy early on; maybe after a bad beat. Other than that if you lose and it's too late in the tournament I don't think it's worth the investment.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like them, but I can see how useful they are. It can get pretty frustrating sometimes when I spent 1+ hr accumulating chips, getting to top 20 with 10k, but then suddenly drop to top 50 because other players added on 10k chips. I guess it's just part of the game and you just need to keep playing good poker to take full advantage of those add ons.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can get pretty frustrating sometimes when I spent 1+ hr accumulating chips, getting to top 20 with 10k, but then suddenly drop to top 50 because other players added on 10k chips.

You should also purchase the add-on chips. If this is not your intention, they play tournaments with no add-on. For me I dont really care, which format I play, as long as I am winning. But the R+A is a somewhat strange format, so if you dont like it, then just avoid. There are still plenty of regular MTTs to choose from online.

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are good, there are tournaments for all tastes, 1 entry, with buyback, satellites, low, medium and high, we cannot complain about all the varieties that there are, and they are always adding new versions;)

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is however also negative EV to play with "scared money". So if you often find yourself in situations, where you go to lengths to avoid being all in in a poker tournament, you are almost certainly not playing well either. Even if rebuying is not possible, you still need to be prepared to risk all your chips at any point of the tournament, if it is the right thing to do.
But the problem is that you will not be able to play your pocket AA or KK well, not 3 bet not 4 bet does not scare opponents who make rebuy and you can just fly out on the last street. In General I don't like them)) But tournaments without rebuys and Addons are usually twice as slow which is also not always good since it requires at least 10 free hours.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I like the rebuy option but with its limits it should be around 2 or 3 max and definitely don't like the add on is like buying yourself almost a min cash sometimes and you don't actually min cash cause you rebuy and add on expenses

C

capujoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Difficult to play against the "All-in" addicts.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rebuys are okay that means more money added on the prizepool. Add-ons is a bit unfair for me because you're buyin chips to have a decent stack against your opponent.