What do you prefere near the bubble - to be slow and tight or agressive and steal?

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you prefere near the bubble - to be slow and tight or agressive and steal?

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends on my stack size and those at my table. If I got a large stack I’ll definitely put pressure on the med stacks. If I’m short and we are close then I’ll hope to squeak into the money and fold all but AA,AK and KK. If I’m average I’ll play as usual for the most part but will fold if large stack pressures me too much.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends on many factors. Am I big middle or short stacked. How close to the money and what player types are at the table. I can be a NIT or a LAG. I tend more aggressive but I also bubble a bit more than others.

L

Luqitazzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to my chips, if you have secured the pay jacks, I prefer not to go up and wait to enter the pay jacks, I have doubled a couple of ASES, imagine!

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Like others said, definitely depends on many factors, but mostly chip stack size at the time and if I'm in position in any given hand. Definitely is worth playing aggressive and steal blinds or small raises if the opportunity presents itself.

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how the table is playing - Tight & slow = play agro & steal often.
If they are agro and steal then I tighten up amd slow down.

It depends on chip stack too. 30BB or less and I am tight and slow
50+ BB and its stealing and agro.

Hope this helps,

GLGL
HOUDINI9

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play to win This advice is closely related to the previous one, but applies even later in the tournament. The payout structure in MTT is built in such a way that the largest payouts are received by the players at the final table and above at the expense of those players who barely survived the bubble. The main goal is to maximize the number of hits in the top finalists, even in cases where the difference in prizes is negligible. Using any, even small, advantage, applying pressure in small spots helps to build a large stack, and this is already a groundwork for a deep run. In other words, the more profitably we play, the greater the chance of getting into the top finalists.

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to admit that I get really nervous when the tournament fase is near the bubble .I cross my fingers and play really tight.Maybe I even fold aces or kings

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my stack, and on what kind of players I’m play. Putting pressure is mandatory in bubble if you are going to run for final table, but with some reasonable hands, not with every hand you have.

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the amount of chips I have, if I have many chips, I would logically press a lot, otherwise it would be more passive, but hey, it goes in the strategy of each player.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to look at your position and the situation at the table. This is a very simple law, when the bubble is close. Bubble, is a special stage of the game and it is necessary to play based on many factors. Therefore, I think, the general question of what to do and how to do it is absolutely not correct. A lot of players don't think about it and then complain that the bubble is killing them, but they could change this if they were more careful... :(

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play to win the tournament and not winning $.

In heads up situations I am pushing any edge I believe I have. So if I am getting the correct pot odds to make a call or I believe I have 50% + equity of winning the pot I'm pushing my edge. Fold Equity is one of the calculations I use. I might have 35% real equity but i figure i have at least 15% fold equity as well so i put all my chips in the middle.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on my stack, if I have more chips than the rest of the players and if I think I have the opportunity to be aggressive against those who are very close to the bubble, I do it, but sometimes it also depends on how aggressive the other players are playing , there I would play very carefully not to donate my chips, also if I have enough chips to resist the bubble stage I play very tight

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It all depends on the stack I have, if I have a lot of chips I would play aggressively against those with few chips

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My bubble strategy has changed up a bit and i prefer to play tighter near the bubble to give myself the best chance of cashing.

While my goal in mtts is not to just cash, I also think it's important to not give up guaranteed spots where you can cash and get some profit. I look at cashing in mtts as a bankroll cushion.

Lets say 1 run deep and make the final table in 1/10 $1 mtts. Assuming I finish within the top 5 spots, thats where my profit is coming from. The other 9 mtts, lets say in 4/9, I guarantee a cash and run as deep as I can. Well, those cashes are going to just cusion my bankroll and I'd rather be break-even in 9 mtts than be down 4 or 5 buy-ins in 9 mtts because I gave up guaranteed cashing spots. 4 or 5 buy-ins isn't a lot and I'll still be profiting overall because of my deep mtt run to the final table, but it adds up over time. In a 100 mtts, giving up those 4 or 5 buy-ins equals to 40-50 buy-ins given up. Even if I'm still profiting overall, I'd rather have those extra 50 buy-ins in my bankroll than not.

This isn't to say I won't be attacking other players near the bubble if I have a stack to do so. I'm just saying I'm more cautious near the bubble and wont put myself in situations where I might lose a guaranteed cash spot.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have no strategy presented, it depends on who is at my table and how they play and then there is my stack, how much do I have can also play a role. I usually play a bit straight from the start, so I usually continue to play as before, but I don't think that one should proceed strictly according to plan. you also have to be able to vary and adapt to the situation at the table. So if it suits me then I can get a little more aggressive just before the bubble

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me explain these concepts
you want to be picking up those pots preflop that arent contested nearing the bubble

but you become the person making the mistakes
and you always want to be the one capitalizing on the other players mistakes

against a very tight side of the table i could aim to steal a specific 2 players BB and no one elses,
aka designated bubble money players

you'l notice other players raising to often and is often a great time for a squeeze/reraise when theyr'e pfr % is too high

you need to be doing one of these things or you will risk being card dead due to reduced range at that stage of the mtt

If your are not stealing
then you need to be re-stealing

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends

Depends on your need to cash at that moment in time & what stacks are in front of you!
Some people shove any A with over 20bb when there are stacks covering them or crippling them, like I just did someone on a daily who shoved A6 into my AK on the BB on the bubble, couldn't fold!!
Also it's best to consider WHY FLIP? sometimes especially like even post bubble when you're top 3, I never understood those plays!!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Definetely the stack size is a very important factor , mine , the others' on my left or all the players , ifI am very low stacked , I will probably try to make it ITM , using some times the time bank lol , trying to survive , sometimes ITM bubble seems like an eternity , especially on satellites lol

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course i would like to steal but I am just sit and wait especially when I¶m short stack, playing like a coward. sincerely i feel shame, and when i decide to act with some suited connectors or whatever i just find the nuts at the villain...

T

tourpro99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say this is very situational. Depends on my stack size, the stack sizes of the others at my table, the buy-in, the payout for making the money, the distribution of prize money, etc etc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the number of chips and how aggressively my opponents are playing !!!

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Depending on the stack and the opponent, you can be aggressive or wait and play slow to enter prizes and then return to normal play.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to risk too much but I'm not afraid to put my chips in when I think I have the best of it.