What do you do about people raising and not letting you play

BoaSafra

BoaSafra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait for premium hands to 3-bet or 4-bet, AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AQs,
almost 3'4 of the time they are raising with shitted hands, so the probability to win for you is very lucrative

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
What do you do about people raising and not letting you play?

I always Set a Trap for them, start complaining about it so they feel encourage and even stars.... and then wait for the Munster hand, start slowly until they bite and then... Got Them! :)

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Correction of the range of your starting hands. Play more tight.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you to everyone who posted, some of you posted pure gold. Thank you.

James_Moria

James_Moria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think, that in such situation you need to be very patient and you are to wait for a good hand, but it can take much time......Good luck, next time!

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do about people raising and not letting you play?

I always Set a Trap for them, start complaining about it so they feel encourage and even stars.... and then wait for the Munster hand, start slowly until they bite and then... Got Them! :)

I love the "fishing" analogy in this bit of advice!:D:D

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play normal and wait for good cards then punish them lol

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F

FearlessPhil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of these responses seem to imply that you should just wait for a really big hand. Unfortunately, these don't come along often enough to make this a successful strategy in most situations. In order to combat the raisers and reraisers, you have to be willing to attack them with some mediocre hands. If they are really raising that much, most of the hands they are raising with are going to be mediocre and they are going to fold them to a strong raise.

If you can't win some pots with mediocre hands, you are going to just bleed out waiting for that monster.

HennieP

HennieP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's the thing. Some tournament players are scared of losing all their chips before making it to the money so they tend to shy away from getting all their chips in the middle. If you're playing a MTT you don't just want to make it to the money you want to make it to the top 3 because THAT is where the money is.

When you play tournaments don't be afraid to get your chips in the middle with good hands. Yes, you will sometimes be outgunned or run into some bad luck but in the long run it's a better strategy to accumulate a big chips stack that will see you all the way to the final table than to only start playing aggressive after you made it to the money.

This is why it is so important not to play tournaments with buy-ins that you can't afford to lose. If you play good, strong poker you will make money but you have to be willing to lose a few on the way. It's better to go out with a fight than be pushed around until you're blinded out.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of these responses seem to imply that you should just wait for a really big hand. Unfortunately, these don't come along often enough to make this a successful strategy in most situations. In order to combat the raisers and reraisers, you have to be willing to attack them with some mediocre hands. If they are really raising that much, most of the hands they are raising with are going to be mediocre and they are going to fold them to a strong raise.

If you can't win some pots with mediocre hands, you are going to just bleed out waiting for that monster.

Playing mediocre hands with someone constantly raising/re-raising can be a huge leak. It gets far to easy to call a raise, miss the flop, and have to fold. You HAVE to avoid this. You have to pick your spots and go with it. I would agree with you, if we were in a cash game, but I think in a tournament the chips have a lot more value.

The OP seemed to let someone's aggression affect him, this is a mistake. Personally, I don't care who raises/re-raises a pot when I'm not in it and I"m not going to extend my range to play with you just because you raised the last 5 pots.

When a hand is in my range, I'm okay with playing a big pot.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A poker game that does not like hurry! You need to learn the style of the players with whom you sit at the table, and then decide how to act! Many people like to bluff! You need to play very carefully, have an excellent card!

F

FearlessPhil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing mediocre hands with someone constantly raising/re-raising can be a huge leak. It gets far to easy to call a raise, miss the flop, and have to fold. You HAVE to avoid this. You have to pick your spots and go with it. I would agree with you, if we were in a cash game, but I think in a tournament the chips have a lot more value.

The OP seemed to let someone's aggression affect him, this is a mistake. Personally, I don't care who raises/re-raises a pot when I'm not in it and I"m not going to extend my range to play with you just because you raised the last 5 pots.

When a hand is in my range, I'm okay with playing a big pot.

I did not suggest calling. You would NEVER want to do that. I was suggesting that you push back on them and try to take the pot down without seeing a flop. I don't believe that playing passively is a winning tournament strategy.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Man this kind of players at a MTTs you must know they're willing to risk their chips with medium hands so they're range is a lot bigger so don't be afraid to go with a strong hand this is because some guys are willing to risk this part of the tournament at this early stage so they could build a big stack and have better chances to get to the final tables or at least ITM...

This is more often on the freerolls and micro buy ins due to some guys have money or a really high bankroll... so what do you do be first to raise as soon you get a medium hand everyone behind you has fold don't LIMP! try to beat them in they're game yo will see how they tend to do it less often a carefully so that's my advice in this case the best defense is ofense!

Hope this helps you Good Luck at the tables!

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have any problem with the same players raising. I pick my cards to reraise and prepare to go all in.... That will slow their game, it usually does...

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope the correct hand, I only pay the bb, when he increases game everything on the table! And we will see the result, if we win it is to run to the embrace

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No limping!

I would rather play a hand I can raise before I enter a pot. Otherwise, I am wasting chips.

515bastos

515bastos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Think its Their strategy...You have to look for tournament styles that it better for avoid this

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a fan of limping in, because you really don't gain any information on your opponents hands. You're probably seeing a lot of raising and re-raising because your opponents have noticed you fold a lot, it's an easy way to get you out of the hand. Try some re-raising of your own and see what happens.

smpolak

smpolak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best to wait them out and only play premium hands.

Marinade23

Marinade23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait for a good hand and then I see or re-raise their bet. In some games I kick them out the tour but in other games they win with 3-Q while I have J-J for example so I am like.. wtf??

I get tired of those kind of players so I pray for somenone to throw them of the table :D

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The real question is why are you hoping to limp? Do you find you are calling more than you are raising/3 Betting. It is not good to always reraise and if there are two of them at your table you can hunker down and really make some chips on a good hand. Don't always be one way or the other. You need to 3 Bet the people you notice are acting like you are right now to steal pots with mediocre hands, then you also need to be more conservative when there are raisers at the table. Change to play against each different table and don't always do one thing or you will be easy to pick out and play against.

ankitantil

ankitantil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in that situation.You can take risk when you feel like that you have something good in your hand.... like there is chances of flush or staright.

C

CHAVIKI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy

What I do with raiser players is wait for a good hand and raise before them, the mos likely option is thy'll go with watever hand they have, pay for the raise and wait the flop, this move will encourage other players to raise and pay putting the raisers odd too low, and either they loose their money or stop raising, specially after loosing a big amount

A

ats272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Often have to deal with sush aggressors.In this atmosphere i cant do one patience.I'm trying to counterattack,even with not the strongest card.Naturally,my game depends on the position and how many players in the bank.Not always, but often enough i get to punish the aggressor. ------------------------------------------------------------ NO RETREAT,NO SURRENDER!