Turbo Tournaments, how to play them ?

K

KLDUFF1987

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I am really liking the turbo tournaments on fulltilt but I never seem to cash is it the way I am playing or is it just bad luck.

I play soft more aggressive than I would be playing on normal tournaments, should I play lest softer and play tight? what's your opinions ?

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turbos atrack a lot of gamblers, becouse they are cheaper and the cash is bigger. I wont be talking about early, mid and late stages general strategy. I ll just assume you are familiar with it. If not there are a lot of threads on the forum, youtube or poker books that you can learn from. You should play tighter till those gamblers bust out. Its nearly impossible to put them on a hand and dont even think about bluffing them. Being aggresive can be really good style of play in the mid and later stages of the game. Dont overdo it though. Remember that there is not much place for mistakes in turbos unlike in regular tournaments. GL on the tables.

K

Koksi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play very tight in early position and very blinds 20-30 and more agressive from CO and BU.For example you have A9o and 8BB you are on CO and push all in.You have 13BB you are on UTG 2 you have K10o this is fold acording to me.I play that.

MoeJurphy

MoeJurphy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only played a couple and no major cashes, my strategy for these 5min blind structure would be to play very tight in the early stages and just build and survive until the mid/later stages. Now in the mid stage of the tournament you can open up your range steal some blinds to get above average chips. The late stage of the tournament you should be on the attack and playing very aggressive as the blinds are getting big and all the short stacks are getting eliminated quick, this is the part of the tournament I normally go bust playing over aggressive but, your not going to get to the final table short stacked and if you do what difference will it make.

Omar Kassas

Omar Kassas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah turbos is always good,because when you play tight in early stage the game gives you at middle stage and testing you from middle to late stage if you get tilted or try to steal small pots..

Olgert1992

Olgert1992

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo not better frerolls, it is needed to play aggressively, often to move and go all-in. Other not to win.

L

leandr0s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nahh you should play tihgt in the beggining. but dont go really passive or you will be exploited. be thight with your preflop range. but dont go expecting to hit the nuts. people in turbos are going to gamble a lot. especially when the blinds become more and more valuable. try not to go with -implied odds hands like small aces or hands like Q10o, K10o, A9o etc. when you have it raise big, and rarely if ever try bluffing them. but yeah these are tips you are gonna find anyway. turbos are more about middl and late stage game. so i guess experience is key. and also understanding ranges. preflop game becomes a must to own because really quickly you get off deep stack game and it all comes to understanding fold equities, shoving ranges, calling ranges and stack sizes. having a HUD is really useful, maybe even more than in a deep stack game. because in here it really is all about preflop for the most part. much less complex than cash games or slow tournaments. definetely a good way to start off your poker career but you need a big bankroll to overcome the huge variance it involves

MasterTur

MasterTur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when I play turbo tournaments, I have some issues, because i play real tight in the begin, and when i get in the middle, have a small stack, so need to play more agressive to stell blinds, but, always in the table has someone big stack... then this people always call and sometimes lose to this peoples.... even when play KK x Ax from this people, and they hit the A in flop,turn or river.... so i dont know how much is good to play tight in the begin.

If anyone could help given adivices?

MAdesG

MAdesG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be tight at the beginning , just play with pairs because if you go with cards like AK JK the must of the time you won't have nothing when you see the flop and when you get in the middle try to play with well cards or cards Like TJ or 89 T9 but don't go all in preflop , see the flop first and if you don't have something just fold and the rest of the tournament play as well as you can and try to go up with your stack and if you got a high stack be aggressive sometimes stealing the blinds and putting pressure to the others players but be careful to not make a mistake

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in turbo is simple, choose good hands playing aggresive and hope to get luck, turbo tournaments are impossible to win without luck and it's quite important to check your stack, with less than 12bb play more agressive but if you have a stack over 25bb don't take high riskes with hands that are not premium, that is a big mistake ( i used to do it before)

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I know there are some top "CC members" that kill It In turbo's. Of top of my mind Johny W, Kcnauck, and MTcashman are members that come to mind. Only suggestion I can give Is to send them a message asking for tips.

Turbo's are about being fierce and taking those small edges, IMO but than again I suck at them. So like I said talk to them, best advice I can give

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky play lucky play lucky play and pray and do it again lucky play.........

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play scared money, be aggressive with good hands, you will need every chip you get, don't be scared of bubbling and these sort of stuff, you gotta play money that you can spend and don't feel unconfortable.

Good luck at the tables, mate.

B

bizbakol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think on the beginning of the tournament you have to play more hand, because anything come up to win with. When the blind goes up, you have to play less hand as the time goes.

N

nermis13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tighter, and always takes the best spot to win record .. will this line you will see some results soon

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if the stack is small it is better to play tight and win more chips at the loose opponents. it will grow then play aggressively

J

Jalapano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them pretty much the same way as regular tournaments. The 10bb rules just comes faster and more often. If I'm not making a call in a regular tournament there really is no reason to make a call in turbo just because blinds go up a little quicker. Now if we are talking hyper turbo then yes just find decent cards to jam and hope for the best

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbos atrack a lot of gamblers, becouse they are cheaper and the cash is bigger. I wont be talking about early, mid and late stages general strategy. I ll just assume you are familiar with it. If not there are a lot of threads on the forum, youtube or poker books that you can learn from. You should play tighter till those gamblers bust out. Its nearly impossible to put them on a hand and dont even think about bluffing them. Being aggresive can be really good style of play in the mid and later stages of the game. Dont overdo it though. Remember that there is not much place for mistakes in turbos unlike in regular tournaments. GL on the tables.

Pkaying tight is good idea .. suppose you are in turbo turney . waited too long for good card and finaly you got A K you raised and 2-3 player call that raise on flop 7 4 J .. whats your move here?
Suppose you checked One opponent raised half pot. What you do then?
on flop you raised first all opponent call your raise and you didnot hit a pair on turn and river. whats your move then?

garfield89

garfield89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me to be playing all hands while the small blinds, blinds because growing fast and chips disappear, signs at an early stage igrti as many hands so that he could later to play more aggressively, to me it is the only way to turbo tournament to succeed something to accomplish, otherwise they will eat and blinds

L

Lincon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In turbo tournaments have play more tournaments than other medium pairs more aggressive gain the value KT, QT, J9.

K

kdr723

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is to play loose-ish in the earlier stages so I can see as many flops as possible, hope to hit big and build my stack early.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a hyper turbo...
look for some extra premiuma hands to jam asap ex QA KA and pocket pairs more that I can think of but those are give mes as the blinds increase people should start shoving with mediocre hands try to get in and take down as many pots as you can just make sure you dont go for a family pot because sometimes so many people shove that 910suited has a higher probability of winning keep in mind as the blinds increase people will tend to shove with Ace high as would I under certain situations if Im about to be knocked out.