Tourney-Poker Literature

T

Tieferausch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
after many years of unsuccessful tournament poker, I would now like to approach the thing more professionally, I got myself some literature.

Specifically, I have 3 books, which show great differences.
I suppose that the game changes very quickly and so old strategies are certainly "outdated".
Or is it not true to say that?

Books:
Harrington On Holdem 1-3
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker 1-3
Kill Everyone

I started with Secrets of... and I find the style very aggressive.
Though I rarely sit there with 100BB + and raise A5s and small pockets from first position.

What are your opinions on these books?
I would be very happy to hear some experiences.

Greetings,
Sebastian

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I also bought the Harrington series...they helped me a lot. They are old, it's true, but in my humble opinion they are as current as any other, and written by a really amazing player too. You can't just give them a quick read through...that won't help...you have to really think deeply about it all to reap the benefits. All the best !!!

T

Tieferausch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does someone know if the newer "Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker " is preferable to the old ones?

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,
after many years of unsuccessful tournament poker, I would now like to approach the thing more professionally, I got myself some literature.

Specifically, I have 3 books, which show great differences.
I suppose that the game changes very quickly and so old strategies are certainly "outdated".
Or is it not true to say that?

Books:
Harrington On Holdem 1-3
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker 1-3
Kill Everyone

I started with Secrets of... and I find the style very aggressive.
Though I rarely sit there with 100BB + and raise A5s and small pockets from first position.

What are your opinions on these books?
I would be very happy to hear some experiences.

Greetings,
Sebastian
Books are undoubtedly one of the elements of a player's success, but certainly not the only one. And certainly not the most important one. After all, often players who have read a lot of literature have not reached the desired heights. Why? There are several reasons for this: Reading the book does not provide an opportunity to automatically apply new knowledge in the game. Most of the players do not understand the information received, and it settles like a dead weight in the head. poker books become outdated quickly. In today's world, and even more so online poker, things are changing very quickly. Much knowledge has already become useless in modern realities.
Constant reading distracts the player from the most important thing in his career - constant practice at the gaming tables. The last point is perhaps the most important. Surprisingly, most high-level professional players admitted that they had hardly read any books. All their experience is based on overcoming
Studying literature is definitely not a futile step. But it is very important that you do not stop at the stage of just reading. To become a true professional, you need to constantly play, learn from your own and, moreover, others' mistakes, not be afraid to drastically change your style and use what you could not even imagine before. Books will give you the information you need. But how you apply it and what your own ideas will grow on its basis is up to you. Reading and work together are bound to bear fruit!

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it more effective to watch videos, and it is true, poker is played differently now, but you have to create your own style of play.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also read now books by Jonathan Little "MTT Secrets" 1-3. And i'm interested in the opinion of experienced online tournament players how relevant these books are today and if they can greatly help improve your game.