Are tournaments with up to 4 hours of Late Registration Worth it?

S

sharky132

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well you can sit way too long

L

Laynester

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NO do not play that late reg if you're playing for real USD

Really you need to be in the game from square 1.

All the sharkies like to take prey in the 1st hour. They're very easy to spot.

So DO NOT do a late reg. The odds are ALREADY asgainst you 45% - 50%. You'll win less that 5% of the time. Do the right thing. Don't!!

Thank you for listening....:icon_bigs

AMAQ12

AMAQ12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 hour LR is a long time, i would more than likely not LR. However, looking at the average chip stack and where you will be placed in the field with your starting chips stack can give you a better idea of what kind of pressure, if any, youll be under as a Late registrant.

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with these very long records, you can enter an hour or an hour and a half later and still have a good stake. 50 bbs are very playable.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's too long for me !!! Usually I enter such a tournament somewhere in the middle of the tournament !!!

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate tournaments like that. I don't play such tournaments only when there is a high prize pool. I definitely prefer tournaments where there is no late registration or the maximum time is 1 hour.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
4 hours of late registartion , lol , better lowetr the prizepools , you have unlimited reentries and that's not enough , you also need 4 hours of late registartion , lol man . Very bad for poker , and yyour healtth overally , thes tournaments lasting 10 , 12 hours , more , wtf , and sometimes you play for 3 hours and an idiot in late registartion comes and SB vs BB he mips and outplays you , and doubles up and send you to tilt. I hate so long late registration .

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to register for a tournament in the middle of late reg, since I don’t like the early phase of the tournament so much.
So in a situation like this, you have to decide which phase of the race you prefer!

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 hour late reg

$ hour wait reg sucks. It makes the game way longer than it has to be. And encourages bad play. I hate it. So no it is not worth it.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking at a $2 + $0.20 tournament that is $2k gtd. It has four hours of late registration.

Is it worth it try to enter one of these? That is a long time to hold off against players re entering. It's double most tournaments. Usually its about 2 hours of LR I believe.

If you were to enter, do you want to be there from the start or come in right as late registration ends? More chips versus being a lot closer to ITM from the start.

Worth it? Yes No?
Enter early or Enter late?

the answer to this question will be succinctly simple. in tournaments with knockouts, it is best to register at the very beginning. no knockouts - you can jump with a stack of 30BB but not less. registration at the very beginning will not be an error either. the only difference is with or without tournament knockouts

B

bonart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still working out whether to go in early, middle or late registration in these tournaments.

Tried last minute and made the money but hard to go further.

Tried middle, and mostly bust as under pressure to compete against the big stacks.

went in early and much easier, but need to be better disciplined as 2 bad beats and I'm out of the tournament.

See which you prefer and can do well.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If late registration in the tournament lasts 4 hours, then you need to prepare for 6-7 hours of the game at least, I probably don't have enough patience, it's better to play spins and try to win more.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I exactly know the tourney, you are asking about. I had 10+ final table on it, I won it once in the last half year, on the 2$ buyin range on that specific site, it is one of the best micro. Even the blind levels look pretty strange and the hole structure is different from any similar tourney. I know that keeps plenty people far from it. You must play it as a PKO some phase, because of the strange structure.

Register from the beginning, or within half hour from the start, as you must build a stack around 200-250K until the late registration ends. Do not re-enter more than twice, (sometimes I see players re-enter 8-10times, few times, on tilt i did it, too, just waste of money.) With the breaks, the late reg ends after 4 and half hours, but after half an hour you reach the ITM, if you have a mid stack in that time, easy to reach the last 3-4 tables, then you need good cards and a bit luck, sometimes you must play with out of range preflop hands, without that, the blinds eat you.
It is quiet unique structure, but not bad, they have these 4 hour late rage, same structure tourneys in all level, i did not see it in any other room, it is their idea, anyway, i think, not a bad one.
Reach FT takes around 8 hours, sometimes more, hole tourney 9-10 hours, I think it is good, basically it decides in the first 2 hours for me, how it goes, as you must go for double up at least 2-3 times, if i relegate 2-3 times, I've done, if not, and built a bit higher stack, waiting for the good chances to collect the forced allins, because of blind structure.
Even it does not look like that, I consider it as a turbo, I prefer the turbos, super turbos, gives me better result, waste less time, if they find the river 1-2 card nuts, they find it within 1,5-2 hours, not after 5-6 hours and the result is the same....

Good luck! and re-enter max 2 times, never more

S

SoulMan87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure it's worth it. You just need to start from the begining and you should be ahead in compare to players that registered late.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play poker if I have enough patience to sit at my computer for the next 8-10 hours in a row... and on those days, its easy to play in the 4h or even the 5h late-reg tournaments because I already know I'm prepared for them.

But even I will admit it's just too long of a time period, I quite often play 3.5 hours and get knocked out right before the end of late reg and its maddening to have wasted so much of my day. But that's poker, and the next time, I get right back on that bronco and try to ride it yet again. :)

Sunday is always a must-play day, I'm always prepared to play 12 hours in a tournament on a Sunday. I hope I can make it that far!! But on weekdays I really struggle to play any of the long tournaments and rarely do (and I'm retired so I have all day to play! But it's still tough for me and I just won't play if I can't focus 100% and play my patient A-game).

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not a fan if these are rebuy. The ones that are knockout give you a chance to build chips if you start early and enjoy learning the competition. There are people in them that think they need to build their stacks because they are late and do aggressive moves that increase your stack. This is about patience and can be good if you are trying to learn how to get into bigger tournaments. Take a look at how long the registration is for WPT or wsop. These can be over several days. This is preparation for these types.

That said, they can be a drag, but help when you are getting periods of being card dead. Build your stacks when you get cards and relax when you do not. Making mistakes at lower cost tournaments and learning from them means you know how to handle the big time easier. I would not do one daily, but once or twice a week is not that big of a deal. Saying this, I am not someone who plays multiple tables, so I focus on the tournament I am in.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I guess not so many people like this kind of tournaments and really do not understand why poker rooms still doing that. It is ok with high buy-ins in series like WSOOP or something like that but for 2.2 dollars-no way. But if I play in this I just jump at the end of late registration and try to build stake up because spending 4 hours for me it is ridiculous.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 4 hour late regs that have short stacks to start are pretty much rake traps. IF the stacks are 200+ they can be cool but you have to be on your game because typical LL and ML players often act like they are wearing suicide belts and will blow lots of people up with spaz jam type plays.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking at a $2 + $0.20 tournament that is $2k gtd. It has four hours of late registration.

Is it worth it try to enter one of these? That is a long time to hold off against players re entering. It's double most tournaments. Usually its about 2 hours of LR I believe.

If you were to enter, do you want to be there from the start or come in right as late registration ends? More chips versus being a lot closer to ITM from the start.

Worth it? Yes No?
Enter early or Enter late?
How much a tournament is worth to me is inversely proportional to the late registration time. I prefer sit & go or freeze out.:cool:

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
everything after the middle of late reg is too late, unless you have too much money and like to gamble

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only for opportunists..

Básicamente creo que es para jugadores que aprovechan solo su suerte y en arrinuarle la buena racha de quienes comienzan del principio. En general, es solo para jugadores oportunistas...:eek::rolleyes:

M

MichaelTyler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's annoying the have long re-buys and late reg. when you want the tournament to not go on forever, but I don't make the rules so it's whatever. Plus it gives more people the opportunity to add to the prize pool, which is always good.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many are coming. But of course there are few chips and the blinds are already big. The case is higher.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 hours seems like endless, I personally won't register in any tournament above 1-2 hours of late registration.
It seems like it might end up kind of unbalanced.