Tournament Winning Percentage

S

_stevo_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondered what you would consider a good average for reaching the cash out level in tournaments. I am reaching about 1 in 6 ..buyings from $3 to $7.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't worry about at % in the money. If you are cashing too often in MTTs you are playing incorrectly. Making decisions to make it more likely to make the money while passing up +EV gambles is bad. The only thing that really matters is ROI and even that is misleading because you can run hot or cold for stretches of thousands of games.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As long as your roi is in the green it doesn't matter but just as a point of reference my cash % at Full Tilt was about 12% as I recall and at poker stars where i played alot of satellites it was over 20%. My ROI was pretty decent at both sites. If you play to go deep your win rate will be low but your cashes will be larger. Im not sure I've ever seen a consistent winner with a win rate of less than 8%. Of course there are always the one hit wonders who donk into a big cash.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends a lot on average field size and also your style of play. As stated, it is better to focus more on winning MTTs than it is to just cash in them.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea if you play stars tourneys with like 6000 man fields you probably don't have a large enough sample size to even analyse your itm yet.

J

jimmyd1953

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These replies by baub and 4 dogs are excellent replies. You hit my weakness in mtts.I always play to get ITM first, then I go for final table ane then i go for win.
To be honest ,I do not know how to change that. Im 58,I have multiple heath problems and I am only making some extra cash to pay bills.
When I was young, I won a lot,I sometimes lost a lot. I did make quite a bit playing all kinds of games in the 70s.
My suggestion is to follow the advice of B and 4 dogs if you can

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's probably not too difficult to change it, just be a bit braver and take those marginal shoves or moves to build your stack and not just maintain a small stack to squeeze into the cash.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson's half-brother ITT.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These replies by baub and 4 dogs are excellent replies. You hit my weakness in mtts.I always play to get ITM first, then I go for final table ane then i go for win.
To be honest ,I do not know how to change that. Im 58,I have multiple heath problems and I am only making some extra cash to pay bills.
When I was young, I won a lot,I sometimes lost a lot. I did make quite a bit playing all kinds of games in the 70s.
My suggestion is to follow the advice of B and 4 dogs if you can
How to change it begins with making a mental adjustment, which can be difficult, especially if you're conservative with your money in general. That's largely because you have to make a leap of faith. You can be told over and over again that cashing somewhat less often but somewhat higher on average is more profitable, but until you discipline yourself to play accordingly, it's moot.

As for how to make said adjustment, I'm afraid I don't have a magic pill to offer. It has been a long process for me, and it's still not complete. I can tell you that my ROI is improved. As others have pointed out, that's a far more important stat than ITM%.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An easy way to properly adjust is to drop down to a lower buyin (something really small) and just play to win. Once you are comfortable with this approach, bring it back to the higher buy ins.

beanstalk

beanstalk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are actually approaching the bubble, I think it is fine to try and cash. Trying to cash when there are still 20% or more of the field left is a dire mistake though.

10% of field cashes. Min cash is at most 2 buy ins. Par is doubling your money 1 out of 10 times, for a loss of 8 buy ins every 10 tournaments. That math pretty much forces you to play for first. It's impossible to min cash half your MTTs and break even.

This of course raises the concept that if you are not playing massive volume in MTTs, they are very high risk, and this is why the min cashing approach feels attractive in the first place.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This of course raises the concept that if you are not playing massive volume in MTTs, they are very high risk, and this is why the min cashing approach feels attractive in the first place.

Hi Beanstalk - what would you consider to be "massive volume in MTTs" ?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you mean ITM or ROI?
Roi would be about ~15-20 for a reg and 20-30 for a good reg. Obviusly it will varty from field size and the game. Most omaha proes have Better ROI that NLHE... but are forced to play less MTT in a month.The proble with The BI you were taling about is that they are HUGE and that meance the varience is HUGE so you have to play tons of MTTs to have "somewhat" of an idea about your ROI. But if you chec shrakscope you will see that most regs/regs+ have Roi around the numbers I told... unless they are in some insane heater. Just be carefull a shatrkoscope will count stelites as regualr MTTs and theat is wrong.
GL =)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
about 15-20% I think the norm for the player playing a plus!