tournament tips

K

KingsolanoCR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning, greetings from Costa Rica, I have about 4 months playing daily and studying my game I would like to know some advice regarding strategy at the beginning of tournaments, which is what you recommend the most to make me quick with a good amount of chips without playing too many hands

I thank you :)

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good morning, greetings from Costa Rica, I have about 4 months playing daily and studying my game I would like to know some advice regarding strategy at the beginning of tournaments, which is what you recommend the most to make me quick with a good amount of chips without playing too many hands

Play tight early. Don't play hands out of position. Don't play too many hands. Limit your mistakes. Don't get married to big hands and fold your garbage hands. Use your tight image to bluff and squeeze the right spots.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a race.

Good luck at the tables.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

split up your bankroll. Never bet all the money at once.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't win tournaments in the first few levels, but you can lose them in the first few levels. Don't try to do to more than you normally would with a marginal hand or decent hand to try and knock out the entire table with a fancy play. There's a lot of bad players at the early stages but also some good ones. Play like you normally would with a deep stack and slowly build a bigger stack so when you get into he later stages you are more equipped to handle the better quality play. Play tight and aggressive early on and you'll be making the money more and more

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Premium hands only with no suited connectors until you get a big stack. Miss the flop fold on any bet.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Welcome to our community.
Good and right question.
I am convinced that our free course will help you find the answer. Try it and see for yourself.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loose aggressive play is the best way to get chips fast, but there's a big variance.
That requires serious practice and routine.
Maybe. :)

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main rule for beginners is don't rush to play all in :) All the textbooks say that you need to sit and wait for good hands to play, but it can be very long and when it happens, the table may be absolutely not for you. Therefore, the beginning of the tournament is a small blind and a great opportunity to expand the range of your cards, play a lot to increase your stack in the tournament :) Do not be afraid to play not the strongest hands, do not rush to immediately increase your stack by 2-3 times, for this there is a middle stage of the tournament. Don't play really bad hands and don't forget to throw away if you're unlucky with a good card :) it's better to throw away and keep most of it than to hurry up and lose everything ;) good luck)

AmidamaruRu

AmidamaruRu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play from the card and most importantly on the bankroll

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting

The only way to get a large stack while playing few hands is to play the hands you do get with large bets.

You have AA open to 8bb
Get called in multiple spots bet 3x pot on flops that are better for you than them.

Make your bet sizing on each street large enough for you to get all-in by the river.

Also play hands that crack big hands . JTs-56s. You have to call big bets early but dump post flop when you do not hit big draws. When you do hit big draws you have to raise them on the flop with the intention of getting all-in before you hit the draw.

Call with small pairs for set mining. Then when you hit make big bets to get all the chips in.

The most common way for stacks to get all-in is a big hand vs a big draw. So this strategy will result in you being knocked out of a lot of tournaments or having a big stack.

This is not the most EV+ strategy but it does do what you asked more chips/ fewer hands.

You will need a large bankroll for this strategy so play at the lowest stakes until you learn to use it effectively.

Hope this helps
:):)

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight early. Don't play hands out of position. Don't play too many hands. Limit your mistakes. Don't get married to big hands and fold your garbage hands. Use your tight image to bluff and squeeze the right spots.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a race.

Good luck at the tables.

Yes that is great advice.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience at the beginning. I like looking at stack size and don’t need to steal blinds early. Observe who is tight and folds and who more willing to go to the river
Who plays more hands. I just play basic poker until the blinds get tight Try to take advantage of shorter stacks. Try not to mix with bigger stacks who play well
I try to take a stand when about 20x rather than wait until 10 x big blind. If there an opportunity to go all in as short stack then go in rather than getting blinded out.
There always a few moments during a tournament when tournament life is at jeopardy even if I make the final table.
There is strategy for bubble play and when table sizes gets smaller too. Just have to nimble and pick your spots. It’s a long distance race and more survival so keep your energy level up and rest during break The game for me is have a healthy stack size through the tournament and not to make any crazy decisions

Poker Tips