Tournament late registration.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people use late registration to quickly enter the tournament. Indeed, a few successful allins can help you get to the dough. By the way, congratulations 3rd place is a great success. Try this option in a more expensive tournament. The prize may be higher.

Thank you brother, I hope, to increase my stack to start playing in more expensive tournaments, is that I follow a risk management in my stack that helps me not to break because of anxiety!:D

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i really find the arguments for and against very compelling, and indeed worthy of serious consideration. I, for my part, prefer the good old Knock-out tourneys, which don't give you the best odds registering late. Very interesting thread though. I,m going to try this tactic on a normal tourney just to see how it feels.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes it can work out and your normally only starting with 15bb so with a double up or two you again have a workable stack I've done this and final tabled and won tourneys.

I've also done it and had to shove almost immediately on Saturday I late reg 3 tourneys not like 5 mins to go but like 30mins and I lasted around 6 hands combined I picked up AK first hand with 12bb shoved and got called by pockets 8s and they held. 2nd hand of next tourney AQ shoves into AA and 3rd tourney 3rd hand pocket 10s walks into kings.

So while late reg into tourneys cuts out the slower early stages having to shove from the get go can go against you as most players at your table have you well covered and will call wider. Or you could be just crushed as I was in 2 out of 3 tourneys

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer late regging when you have about 30bb starting stacks

When I reg too early, I end up grinding for 3 hours and then losing everything because I commit 100bb with a 2 pair and get out 2-paired or some silly thing like that and it gets really frustrating (did I just wast 3 hours for nothing to show for it???)

When I reg too late <20 bb, it becomes push fold and pray I win a flip which is not ideal

30bb is just right :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In addition, I won't be losing a ton of ROI just because I didn't start at the beginning, because in reality the ROI at the beginning is very low in the middle and at the end of the tournament is where the biggest ROI rises!:)

I have to disagree with that. When you are down to a stack of 10-15BB you are finding literally no edge over your opponents, because even bad players can only make small mistakes in the push-fold game. This is the same reason, why the winrate ceiling is way lower in turbos than in MTTs with regular speed.

Of course when you get lucky and win the first flip or two, so that you get up to the tournament average or above, then you can find some edge later. But you are going to have a lot of events, where you basically play 1-2 hands, and then you are out. And overcoming a 12% rake this way is not going to be easy.

Also while there is a lot of threading water early on and small pots, which wont really matter much to the final result, it is also early on, that you are most likely to run into really bad players, who are ready to dust off a stack to you.

With all this being said late registration can be a way to increase your hourly winrate, because you are spending less time on each event, and you are concentrating on spots, where more chips are at stake due to higher blinds. In that sense its a bit like playing Zoom poker. But as with Zoom the only sure beneficiary of late registration is the poker site, because you end up paying more rake per hour.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really find the arguments for and against very compelling, and indeed worthy of serious consideration. I, for my part, prefer the good old Knock-out tourneys, which don't give you the best odds registering late. Very interesting thread though. I,m going to try this tactic on a normal tourney just to see how it feels.

Yes bro the old tournaments are much better hahah, but good luck in your test, i hope everything goes well:D

Sometimes it can work out and your normally only starting with 15bb so with a double up or two you again have a workable stack I've done this and final tabled and won tourneys.

I've also done it and had to shove almost immediately on Saturday I late reg 3 tourneys not like 5 mins to go but like 30mins and I lasted around 6 hands combined I picked up AK first hand with 12bb shoved and got called by pockets 8s and they held. 2nd hand of next tourney AQ shoves into AA and 3rd tourney 3rd hand pocket 10s walks into kings.

So while late reg into tourneys cuts out the slower early stages having to shove from the get go can go against you as most players at your table have you well covered and will call wider. Or you could be just crushed as I was in 2 out of 3 tourneys

Yes brother, I also think it is totally feasible to do this type of strategy and the part as you said, eliminates the slow part of the beginning and so you have more concentration and focus in the middle and at the end of the tournament;)

I prefer late regging when you have about 30bb starting stacks

When I reg too early, I end up grinding for 3 hours and then losing everything because I commit 100bb with a 2 pair and get out 2-paired or some silly thing like that and it gets really frustrating (did I just wast 3 hours for nothing to show for it???)

When I reg too late <20 bb, it becomes push fold and pray I win a flip which is not ideal

30bb is just right :)

I agree with your opinion, the same thing happens to me when I have 100bb, I go into many hands in which I would not play in positions that are bad, and I end up wasting my time in the end, I much prefer the late registration even having this disadvantage from BB!:(

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chs2051

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play tournaments with late reg from the start, i do much better entering near end of registration, looking to hit some all-ins, also don't like long tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with your opinion, the same thing happens to me when I have 100bb, I go into many hands in which I would not play in positions that are bad, and I end up wasting my time in the end, I much prefer the late registration even having this disadvantage from BB!:(

If you are not very good at 100BB poker, then you can protect yourself from making mistakes by not registrering, until blinds have gone up, so that a starting stack is only around 30-40BB. With that stack size you typically cant go completely wrong by stacking off two pair or a good top pair, unless the board is obviously straighty or flushy.

The better solution however is to learn to become good at 100BB poker, so that you can take advantage of other tournament players, who are not. The best way to practice 100BB poker and also just postflop in general is to play cash games. So even if you know, you are eventually going to go the MTT route, there is a lot of value in getting at least 100.000 or prefarably more cash game hands under your belt.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you think about late registering to tournaments ?
Few weeks ago, i late registered at the last possible moment to the 1.1 hot tournament at pokerstars, and ended up becoming 3rd, managed to get 151$.
It is quite frustrating to play for an 1-2 hours and fall out without geting nothing.
While you max late reg, if you win couple all-ins, you are ITM.
So what you think ? Could you possible print money even if you will max late reg to every tournament ?

I prefer to play the tournament from the very beginning. Especially knockout tournaments, because the larger the stack, the more opportunities to knock someone out.
But if the tournament has a smooth structure and a rather long late registration, then I don't see anything wrong with going at the end of it.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think in your case you are just lucky. Apparently it was your day, and regardless of the stage of registration you would get a good result. For me personally, this is a matter of my mood. If I want, then I register and play, and if I don't want, then I don't play.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I have a positive attitude towards late registration. and therefore I often use this option. And it's especially nice when you quickly get into the prize zone.:)

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play tournaments with late reg from the start, i do much better entering near end of registration, looking to hit some all-ins, also don't like long tournaments.

Yes bro, I also prefer to enter the end of the record and try to hit some all-ins:D

If you are not very good at 100BB poker, then you can protect yourself from making mistakes by not registrering, until blinds have gone up, so that a starting stack is only around 30-40BB. With that stack size you typically cant go completely wrong by stacking off two pair or a good top pair, unless the board is obviously straighty or flushy.

The better solution however is to learn to become good at 100BB poker, so that you can take advantage of other tournament players, who are not. The best way to practice 100BB poker and also just postflop in general is to play cash games. So even if you know, you are eventually going to go the MTT route, there is a lot of value in getting at least 100.000 or prefarably more cash game hands under your belt.

Yes bro, I don't feel very comfortable playing tournaments with many blinds and long tournaments with a blind duration of 15 min, for me this is very exhausting!:(

I have a positive attitude towards late registration. and therefore I often use this option. And it's especially nice when you quickly get into the prize zone.:)

Yes bro, I also love late registration for that matter of being closer to the prize:D

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is good you played well late registration is not always good because the blinds will eat up your stack for a couple of hands if the cards do not come to you and with a bad hand go to olyn very little interest on winning.

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is good you played well late registration is not always good because the blinds will eat up your stack for a couple of hands if the cards do not come to you and with a bad hand go to olyn very little interest on winning.

Yes bro, in this game there's always a little luck:D

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like late registration, I don't want to lose extra 2 hours.Either I double up quickly and everything goes on,or I leave the tournament.Everything is very easy and simple)

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I totally agree that the late 20-30 bb record is my ideal record if I'm going late, but I prefer to get in early and try to be in the top 10 / top 20 early

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few weeks ago, i late registered at the last possible moment to the 1.1 hot tournament at pokerstars, and ended up becoming 3rd, managed to get 151$.
It is quite frustrating to play for an 1-2 hours and fall out without geting nothing.
So what you think ? Could you possible print money even if you will max late reg to every tournament ?

Luck has a lot to do with it. If you are lucky that day you will get lucky late reg or no late reg. Also by registering late you are kinda force to play a bit more aggressive since blinds are bigger so that can work to your advantage. I normally dont do late reg since I feel like I'm missing opportunities to double up and see flops for cheap, hands I dont normally play when blinds are big. Last tournament at the Venitian I arrived late and lasted 3 hands. First hand folded KQ would have flopped a straight but guy who went all in with AA hit a runner runner for the nut flush vs someone else. Second hand I get AA and lose to a straight on the river. Hand after that I get KK and lose to QQ when they flop their set.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to late-reg into bounty tournaments a bit later a lot of people with under starting stack high blinds makes it ideal to get it in ax into weaker hands like jq who wouldnt call early stage. with like 100bbs but would with 0-16bbs

wouldnt recommend doing so in rebuy games. :D

some tournaments on ACR i late reg last second and if you waste your timebank a little bit you get itm (wouldnt fold premium hands tho just to get itm) not all games just a few and depends how many players want out quick enough at the last few min of late reg

but a few $ richer just by wasting some timebank is nice :)

and gg on your 3rd place :)

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it really depends on what kind of tournament it is really, i like to play late registration when the blind levels are 12 min or more.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still remember the days when there was no late registration at all. there were a lot of overlays and the number of players in the tournaments was not so impressive. Now late registration lasts from 2, and in some rooms it even reaches 5 hours! I am against it and would like it to be reduced to at least half an hour in tournaments with a regular structure (10-12 minutes), but alas, no one will listen to me)

Marcus_Trivinho

Marcus_Trivinho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like late registration, I don't want to lose extra 2 hours.Either I double up quickly and everything goes on,or I leave the tournament.Everything is very easy and simple)

Yes bro I love late registration mainly because of this reason of not wasting too much time with the beginning of the jog, playing hands in which I should not play:)

I totally agree that the late 20-30 bb record is my ideal record if I'm going late, but I prefer to get in early and try to be in the top 10 / top 20 early

Yes, on the one hand 30bb is still a comfortable stack to play, but the good thing about starting to play at the beginning of the game is that you can analyze who are the fish that will catch the bb during the game hahah:D

Luck has a lot to do with it. If you are lucky that day you will get lucky late reg or no late reg. Also by registering late you are kinda force to play a bit more aggressive since blinds are bigger so that can work to your advantage. I normally dont do late reg since I feel like I'm missing opportunities to double up and see flops for cheap, hands I dont normally play when blinds are big. Last tournament at the Venitian I arrived late and lasted 3 hands. First hand folded KQ would have flopped a straight but guy who went all in with AA hit a runner runner for the nut flush vs someone else. Second hand I get AA and lose to a straight on the river. Hand after that I get KK and lose to QQ when they flop their set.

Yes bro this happens because of the variance of the game, so you must play on many tables so you can break this variance of the game, yesterday I lost 10 hands with AA, and 3 with KK, it happens but at the end of the day I managed to stay in 3 of a 4k gtf tournament and my bank doubled!:icon_joke

I like to late-reg into bounty tournaments a bit later a lot of people with under starting stack high blinds makes it ideal to get it in ax into weaker hands like jq who wouldnt call early stage. with like 100bbs but would with 0-16bbs

wouldnt recommend doing so in rebuy games. :D

some tournaments on ACR i late reg last second and if you waste your timebank a little bit you get itm (wouldnt fold premium hands tho just to get itm) not all games just a few and depends how many players want out quick enough at the last few min of late reg

but a few $ richer just by wasting some timebank is nice :)

and gg on your 3rd place :)

the tricky part of this strategy is that when the tournament is KO the players with a big stack will call their all in with QJ and will probably lose, because the range of these players are very bad considering the size of the chips:icon_joke

it really depends on what kind of tournament it is really, i like to play late registration when the blind levels are 12 min or more.

Yes, it is a good strategy to play the tournaments with 12 min bb when you have late registration:icon_joke:flute:

I still remember the days when there was no late registration at all. there were a lot of overlays and the number of players in the tournaments was not so impressive. Now late registration lasts from 2, and in some rooms it even reaches 5 hours! I am against it and would like it to be reduced to at least half an hour in tournaments with a regular structure (10-12 minutes), but alas, no one will listen to me)

Yes on the one hand it is good, but on the other hand it is bad because tournaments tend to take longer due to new players entering, but on the other hand it is good because the pot gets fatter:D

If you are not good at playing with a lot of bbs, I recommend that you enter the middle of the late registration. It is not recommended with a minute to close. It would be a bad idea.

I like to play deep but, as I am very anxious I cannot play the game correctly because in my mind the bb are very low and I have more chips than I can spend

i dont like a long late registraion

I respect your opinion, some don't like me

_xgeb_

_xgeb_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
If you are not good at playing with a lot of bbs, I recommend that you enter the middle of the late registration. It is not recommended with a minute to close. It would be a bad idea.