Is tight always right?

G

German0815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
The name says it all: isn't it the goal is to remain in the game for as long as possible? How does playing tighter accomplish the goal of getting #1?

Last edited by a moderator:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That sounds like a holding your breath contest. In poker your goal is to accumulate chips. Often when players play ultra tight they suffer the same fate as Uncle Broomcorn....they get Ante'd to death. Another thing to consider is that other players or their HUD will notice you are playing ultra tight and when they see you raise your aces ...they will fold.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing super tight will get you far in many tournaments. The problem is your also slowly bleeding chips and once you have a hand you so short you may get called by trash and you big hand will loses. If your deep enough to not get called to light then everyone knows you will have a hand and fold hands you would be beating and make money off of. Even thougt you may say alive longer and go deep into a tournament with this style is does not even garenty you will made the money.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
Playing tight is fine and will get you far in a lot of tournaments, but sooner than later people notice the way you play and start exploiting the way you play. Also as people mentioned, by playing tight you won't be able to generate action most of the time and when you do, you're usually also playing against a person with a very strong hand.
You must learn to read the board and adjust your game. It's also good to switch it up a bit. And especially at the final table or towards the end of tournaments you must adept your game and start generating stack to push with it in the end. You can't just always wait for good hand and go allin with it, hoping that post flop cards are in your favor.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me the most exploitable players at the table, I began playing poker with an uber tight playstyle. It paid to in the smaller comps I was playing, however transferred very bad,y to anything else which is when I started playing the complete opposite at times too lol. Trying to finalise the idea that there is a balance that is met but can’t if I’m honest. Maybe for someone who is engulfed in GTO 🤷‍♂️

Though when I consider that the players I feel/need to target and manipulate are those players of very tight GTO, they must be a threat for my dedication in thwarting then lol,

Last edited:
mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It depends. It is right in some situations but you need to be able to change gears versus different opponent types and different table/tournament situations. I think playing in position is more important than loose/tight.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The name says it all: isn't it the goal is to remain in the game for as long as possible? How does playing tighter accomplish the goal of getting #1?
No style is ALWAYS correct & indeed making the "proper play" based on the information you have at the time, will not ALWAYS result in a win.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Play loose against tight players you can exploit, those that won't compete ie fit or fold. Be much tighter against loose player s who raise and 3bet.
What ever you do don't bluff calling stations, you can't get them to fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The short answer is no. The best tournament players try to build a big stack early, and if they succeed, they use it to "bully" other players later, when there is more risk aversion. But playing tight can be a good strategy in some situations. Like early in the game, if the table is very loose. In that situation there is not much point in raising A4s from UTG and get 5 callers, 3 of whom have position on you.

It can also be correct to play tight, if you are a middling stack on the bubble or final table, especially if you have a big stack on your left. There is no point in opening a hand like QJo or 66, if you know, you are going to get 3-bet or floated a lot, and you are just going to end up folding and donating more chips to the "big stack bully" on your left. Good winning poker is all about thinking ahead and predicting, what will most likely happen, if you do Y or X :)

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are great questions.

If you are new to poker then I would recommend playing tight. As you gain more experience you will find spots where you can play loosely profitably.

I read this post and it really explains why to play tight.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
me personally i have learned for myself at least that being tight is good but being tight the whole time is not good and you will miss out winning pots .

i am playing pretty loose in late positions

i still remember in a real life cash game where i folded Q-7 on the button and the flop came Q-Q-7 . never again will i fold such hands on the button again as long as it is not too much money to call

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you can't hide all the time and not fight for chips, and when you have a strong hand you can just lose your hand to a weaker hand and be eliminated right away from the tournament I think you should always think about and plan how you will play in the tournament

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think a good player is a dynamic player , I mean if you can't adapt they will label you and in the long run they will exploit you more easily!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We generally have this habit of naming all things, but styles and their identifications only serve as a standard basis for identifying players' tendencies and developing a profitable counter strategy based on that. There are tables that it will not be profitable to play tight, there are phases of the tournament that it will not be profitable to play loose, there are stack sizes that will not favor NIT strategies. It is a matter of knowing and adapting.

rivermipasion

rivermipasion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tight means being selective with the hands you play, only playing strong hands and avoiding risky ones. This helps you preserve your chips and minimize losses with weak hands. Higherprobability of winning: Playing tight focuses on strong hands, increasing your chances of having a winning hand. On the other hand, playing aggressive involves taking more risks and playing with marginal hands, which can lead to more chip losses in the long run

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as for me, tight game is good, but good cards don't come in so often, so playing from opponents and position on the table - it will be more profitable at micro limits

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi here my 5 cents,

tight is right. Depending on Stack size and tournament development there are adjustments needed.
There are situations for switching the gears, in tournaments there are phases of complete card dead, then there sometimes the gods decide to give you one good hand after the other. It's like the old song: " you got to konw when to hold them....."

whinwa

whinwa

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am somewhat tight EP. I might play too many hands from LP though :) Still working on my own personal ranges.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
no, not always sometimes a tight player plays a good map)))) sometimes he freaks out)))

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The real trick is just playing sloppy loose, for ages, and then getting super tight, all of a sudden, and cashing in on the resulting confusion.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's especially hard to play too tight in heads-up ))))

P. S. I once played such an overly tight player. It was not a game, but just a fairy tale ))
He folded almost all hands :D

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes tight is right, especially on the bubble, but if I late reg and need chips or if I'm in the blinds with 20BB and a decent hand facing an open raise from a splashy player in late position those chips are going in the middle :) The game is fluid and opponents are varied so tight isn't always right.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
being tight with no luck, or loose with no luck, you don't get very far either way.