Thoughts on Rebuys in MTT (Micro/Freeroll)

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just started out, as i'm sure some of you are, and I take my freerolls and micro-tourneys seriously as a way to learn and build a bankroll to get into bigger games. There are obviously players that dont take this seriously and just go All-in on every hand. Great, good luck, except they can buyin again for a couple pennies and do it again. It literally ruins the game for everyone else at the table (maybe just me??:eek:) and turns it into a game of bingo. I know every table isnt like this but it happens a lot. I know the house has to make money somehow off these freebies, but it just encourages bad play imo.

I just played a game on pokerstars where someone literally shoved every hand. He lost and rebought. I waited and waited for a table change, folding good premium hands along the way. Anyways I ended up getting dealt a pair of kings. It was right after he doubled up on a huge suckout with his rags, so he had me covered.

He shoved holding 3 2 offsuit....

He Hits Quad 3s on the Turn :mad:

Anyways, whats your thoughts on this, and is there anyway to deal with these types besides just ignoring them until a table change. Its so hard to resist calling when against someone shoving any two cards.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you on rebuys too many abuse it

I posted a thread recently, "rebuy bullys", described a guy who was shoving, just because he didn't mind spending money to stay in the game. (Donk ended OTM, 82nd).
Main thing is to ignore players like this. It's not a freeroll if you are spending your hard won money.
In freebies, there are a lot who don't take it seriously, shove all the time, till they eventually lose it all. In rebuys, the rebuy bullies are the same, they rebuy frequently for, say, 20 cents early. But later in tourney, when it's more expensive to rebuy, they aren't as eager to lose a dollar a rebuy.

You're doing well by looking at what other players say, we are a community that likes to see members excell.

B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuys lend to much looser play as is, especially in a freeroll. The people going all-in every hand will eventually get waned out but a couple will stack up a few times. I think this just kind of comes with the territory. I generally avoid rebuy tourneys.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just started out, as i'm sure some of you are, and I take my freerolls and micro-tourneys seriously as a way to learn and build a bankroll to get into bigger games. There are obviously players that dont take this seriously and just go All-in on every hand. Great, good luck, except they can buyin again for a couple pennies and do it again. It literally ruins the game for everyone else at the table (maybe just me??:eek:) and turns it into a game of bingo. I know every table isnt like this but it happens a lot. I know the house has to make money somehow off these freebies, but it just encourages bad play imo.

I just played a game on PokerStars where someone literally shoved every hand. He lost and rebought. I waited and waited for a table change, folding good premium hands along the way. Anyways I ended up getting dealt a pair of kings. It was right after he doubled up on a huge suckout with his rags, so he had me covered.

He shoved holding 3 2 offsuit....

He Hits Quad 3s on the Turn :mad:

Anyways, whats your thoughts on this, and is there anyway to deal with these types besides just ignoring them until a table change. Its so hard to resist calling when against someone shoving any two cards.
Your story sadly is not unique, almost everyone you may ask who has ever played online poker will verbatim describe the same situation during some of their games.
As a matter of fact I just finished playing a low buy in spin & go on PS about 30 minutes ago, I found myself playing heads-up against a typical GA (Gorilla Aggressive) Russian, but this particular Russian went beyond GA status, he was playing extremely dump against a player like myself (lol), yes he tried the preflop allin shoves on over 85% of the hands that we were fighting for [9x ROI] note: in case you do not understand the lingo…… ROI = Return on Investment.
Anyways, I just folded 99% of his shoves but still had a slim chip lead on the donk and then he made his final lack of skill shove with a A8 off, I in turn called for all his chips with a sweat 9X ROI with my AQ off.
End of story …… lol
Anyways back to your issue, all you can do when dealing with these fish is play your game, in the long run your good play will win more then you lose on suck-out against these fish.
So don’t get discouraged, play your game plan and stay focused it will pay-off in the long run. :D:D:D

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are obviously players that dont take this seriously and just go All-in on every hand
You can't change anything about that; all you can change is your attitude or stop playing in rebuy tourneys.

You should accept that this is a normal situation for freerolls/micros to have a certain percentage of such players in the player pool. And as such you can use this as an opportunity to build up your stack. Due to variance this won't be always successful but in the long run you'll be fine.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't change anything about that; all you can change is your attitude or stop playing in rebuy tourneys.

You should accept that this is a normal situation for freerolls/micros to have a certain percentage of such players in the player pool. And as such you can use this as an opportunity to build up your stack. Due to variance this won't be always successful but in the long run you'll be fine.

I have found the same to be true in mtt playing 5-10 dollar rebuy tournies. I just wait until my gut tells me to call.and it works 90%. Play the player and then your cards when the feeling is right and have a lot of patience to know when you actually have that gut feeling.

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes this just happens. You have to try your best to laugh and move on and play your best game. In the long run this will work in your favour and you will crush players who have this strategy.

As for rebuying, it’s very dependent on the situation in the tournament so hard to pinpoint imo

N

NJW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s actually very easy to play profitable against someone who is shoving 100% of their range.

There are many hands that have a huge equity all in preflight against that range.

Do some work in pokerstove about what kinds of hands you can profitably call with 65+% equity against someone shoving almost every hand (hint: it’s a lot of hands).

Keep in mind this is a high variance strategy but will help you to get a big stack in rebuy tournaments early on. Also when thinking about calling a loose shove, make sure you are aware of the players behind you left to act or preferably be closing the action yourself.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted a thread recently, "rebuy bullys", described a guy who was shoving, just because he didn't mind spending money to stay in the game. (Donk ended OTM, 82nd).
Main thing is to ignore players like this. It's not a freeroll if you are spending your hard won money.
In freebies, there are a lot who don't take it seriously, shove all the time, till they eventually lose it all. In rebuys, the rebuy bullies are the same, they rebuy frequently for, say, 20 cents early. But later in tourney, when it's more expensive to rebuy, they aren't as eager to lose a dollar a rebuy.

You're doing well by looking at what other players say, we are a community that likes to see members excell.

Your story sadly is not unique, almost everyone you may ask who has ever played online poker will verbatim describe the same situation during some of their games.
As a matter of fact I just finished playing a low buy in spin & go on PS about 30 minutes ago, I found myself playing heads-up against a typical GA (Gorilla Aggressive) Russian, but this particular Russian went beyond GA status, he was playing extremely dump against a player like myself (lol), yes he tried the preflop allin shoves on over 85% of the hands that we were fighting for [9x ROI] note: in case you do not understand the lingo…… ROI = Return on Investment.
Anyways, I just folded 99% of his shoves but still had a slim chip lead on the donk and then he made his final lack of skill shove with a A8 off, I in turn called for all his chips with a sweat 9X ROI with my AQ off.
End of story …… lol
Anyways back to your issue, all you can do when dealing with these fish is play your game, in the long run your good play will win more then you lose on suck-out against these fish.
So don’t get discouraged, play your game plan and stay focused it will pay-off in the long run. :D:D:D

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I gave it another shot today. Stuck to my normal strategy and resisted calling All-in's until deep. I felt I played well, got some lucky breaks of course and ended up winning TOP PRIZE!!! :D
Only 1st-9th get prizes (1200+ Players), which was $3.30 Tourney tickets, so I will get to take a shot at that soon. Gonna practice some more first tho. Also finished 20th out of 670 in a similar MTT, but sadly only top 9 spots got a prize there too.

https://imgur.com/A7XSgmH

N

NJW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the win mate. Keep it going and best of luck in the $3.30

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I also like to take very seriously what I play, whether freeroll or not, it is true that many abuse with rebuy and more if they are for very little money, sometimes I think they like to bother, that often makes you lose control to the players, I guess that's their plan

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take all poker play seriously...I agree that the all ins from people get annoying...I guess you just have to practice patience...although that doesn't help when you finally call with big pair and get beat by rags...but the odds of the happening are low...I just started playing on ACR and find their rebuys/late reg last forever...kind of annoying...

J

Jkendrick888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These guys can be annoying, but also very profitable. You can call shoves from these guys with a wider range. Yes suck outs happen but if the odds are on your side you are making money in the long run. If it frustrates you too much then just dont play rebuys.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...i dont play rebuys much, can not understand villians thinking to shove constantly, no profit there...i will wait for better spots...thanks darrell

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In low stake rebuy games, I find the game is harder to get a bluff through because the guy will say to himself, if I lose I'll just rebuy, so he plays loose and calls more often. He must have a deep bankroll. However, when the rebuy period is over everyone tightens up and you can steel a lot of blinds. with that said I like to enter the game late just before the rebuy ends. just sayin

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game, sometimes such people beat you, and sometimes you make a good stack with their help

stillgotouts

stillgotouts

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy tourney's are deceiving. It makes it look like you can afford to play for such a small amount of money. And you can! But like you've experienced, the variance is much much higher because of rebuys. Plus, if you do get lucky and double up once or twice before the add on stage, you probably still want to do an add on.
I've been preferring playing .50c on demand tourney's because of less variance, limited buy in, etc.
In any MTT, you're kind of hoping to get lucky at some point anyways. In those rebuys, that luck needs to strike multiple times.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will always use a rebuy at the start giving me a stack advantage, will play aggressive but will also end when losing after a few rebuys , more so when they are lasting for an hour, easy way to drain ur bankroll