Those who are winning tournaments How do you play.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to double up as much as possible in the beginning since blinds are small you can see a bunch of flops and streets if reasonable and don't be afraid to go all in. the more the blinds go up the more tight you have to play and pick you fights. you want to be the one raising for the most part instead of you calling someone elses raise. once you have a big chip stack you don't want to give it away little by little by calling just because you can afford it and have the chips (this is the mistake most people do once they have a chip lead and don't even make it to the money) instead you want to be more careful and pick out 1 vs 1 battles and try to have good hands to take as much as possible and keep building.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to double up as much as possible in the beginning since blinds are small you can see a bunch of flops and streets if reasonable and don't be afraid to go all in. the more the blinds go up the more tight you have to play and pick you fights. you want to be the one raising for the most part instead of you calling someone elses raise. once you have a big chip stack you don't want to give it away little by little by calling just because you can afford it and have the chips (this is the mistake most people do once they have a chip lead and don't even make it to the money) instead you want to be more careful and pick out 1 vs 1 battles and try to have good hands to take as much as possible and keep building.

This is a very solid general approach to MTTs.

Also, understanding that making it to the money is priority #1 (while maintaining the balance of remaining aggressive in good spots). This balance is the art of poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Try reading some basic strategy guides (&/or books) if you're very new to the game.

It is difficult to say "how do you win tournaments" in one post here. Honestly it takes time... time playing MANY hands (many tournaments) and LOTS of studying. Your game will evolve over time as will your intuitive thought processes.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who are winning at playing tournaments, how do you play? Are you playing 20% of your hands? What are you doing that has made you a winning player? How long did it take to get to winning and not losing? What has made the difference in you being a winning player and not a losing one? thanks

Also, start observing what the successful players are doing at your target stakes you'd like to be playing. Take notice to how the winning players are playing. :D

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FYI here is one of my graphs...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-074031.jpg
    Screenshot_20210423-074031.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21
micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play very few hands overall, I’m happy to double up once an hour in big mtts
So many factors to always consider, position, stack size (of you and opponents), players styles (tight,loose)
I play looser early on as blinds are cheap and you might luck some monster hands,
tighten as costs go up, many players play too tight near the money which makes it a good time to steal, then tighten up after the payout position since many people start shoving mediocre hands again.

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Main thing for me is patience and play my game.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never won but..

I've never won a tournament, have gotten ITM occasionally. No advice except: play your normal game that is successful for you. Also, get really card-lucky. Lastly, don't bet too light, make a heavy, risky bet early to build your stack, to give you a chance to withstand the higher blinds.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Play tight-aggressive.
2. Play a wider or narrower opening range depending on the position.
3. Make a game plan before each session that will make you successful.
4. About two years of theory and practice, at least to start winning.
5. You will become a winner only if you work hard on yourself.

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Oh man I love having a massive chip lead going into the final table. Idk if it's the right thing to do or not but I will definitely be the bully. I will control the action. This forces the smaller stacks to play mediocre hands and make mental mistakes. This is a rare happening tho, usually at final tables it's pretty even with a couple of stacks barely alive. In 20 years of playing idk how many final tables I've been on, but only 6 times in multi table tournaments have I ever finished on top.. so take it as you may...

Last edited:
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Play in position
Learn what hand ranges are
Learn to read boards
Understand player profiles

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament play…

I really enjoy tournaments…. I play very similar to cash games. However, I tend to fold small pocket pairs early on in a tournament- depending how betting plays out- if its cheap to see a flop- then do it. I think it depends on how your gut feeling and intuition leads you.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key to success is to enjoy something,and not play it for money.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be patient, pay close attention to the actions of other players and adapt to each one to take advantage when possible, study hard and practice.