Those who are winning tournaments How do you play.

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those who are winning at playing tournaments, how do you play? Are you playing 20% of your hands? What are you doing that has made you a winning player? How long did it take to get to winning and not losing? What has made the difference in you being a winning player and not a losing one? thanks

P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i cashed once,
have played around 8 touraments
SO dont have any advice unfortunetly

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not know the percentage of hands that I play, I just know that many times I have a lot of patience so I do not enter so many plays, other times I just risk and follow my instinct, which makes me enter many plays, it depends on the tournament that this playing and the importance that I give to that tournament, it also depends on what I see from the other players, if I must play more aggressive I must play more hands than if I play passive

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
patience during the tournament and a great strategy
Have Fun

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To simplify your question, do you want to know why people win?

There is no one successful strategy for playing poker. To do this, you need to have experience of the game, understand the game of your opponents, be able to conduct a good analysis of your opponents at the table, see your mistakes, understand when you need to fold, even if you have a very good card.

Do not forget that the tournament is divided into different stages, and you need to study the game plan for each stage and try to successfully pass each stage according to your game plan :)

And always remember that you have a chance to press the fold button and stay in the game and continue the fight :) You can out at any time ;)

But all this can be crossed out by luck in the tournament. I'm 100% ready to say if you're unlucky, but you're a super pro, you can't win the tournament...

You need to feel the spirit in the game to completely relax and enjoy the game. I'm sure, it doesn't matter what you do, but if you can't relax (constantly worrying and thinking about the result) you won't win anything... When you are ready to lose mentally it is already a success and you can play in a completely different way and feel very confident :)

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Television has made tournament poker look glamorous and like a competition where skill prevails.
The truth of the matter is that luck plays a much larger factor in tournaments than in ring games.
Think about it this way:
at a regular no-limit game, if you started with $2,000 what is the cance that you would end up with
$2 million before the night was over?
Zero.
However to win a tournament where each player has 2k starting chips and 1,000 people enter, you would need to
win two million in chips to win the tournament. Not an easy feat to do unless lady luck truly smiled upon that day!

But here 4 tips for your tournament career:

1.) Play tight and aggressive.Tight means that you don't play everything you can get your hands on.
There are some hands who look good, but they are still not, for example King-Jack.
After the flop, you don't have to cling to every pair. Knowing when to be beaten or the stakes are unreasonably high and can save you a lot of money. Aggressive means that you get the most out of your strong hands. Bet big if you have your strong hand and don't try slowplay.

2.) Play pocket pairs. Poket Pairs can be a low stakes opportunity dust off big pots. When one or more players are already in a hand a call can be very profitable. You speculate to hit a drilling. Then you can often win a lot of chips.

3.) Limping is not an option. No Limit lives from aggressive play. You should raise or fold.

4.) Place continuation bets If you raised pre-flop and a player or two called your raise, you should bet the half pot on the flop. This move is called a continuation bet.
The following requirements must be met for this:
• You are in the hand with a maximum of two other players.
• You represented a strong hand before the flop and are in the hand with a raise got in.
• No other player has raised on the flop.
• The flop is not draw-heavy and you can present a strong hand.
Example of a draw-heavy flop: JT8s
Often your opponents can do something with this flop. That means someone will call your raise. But with a c-bet you want all your opponents to fold.

Example of a good flop for c-betting: A84r.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no luck with luck, i.e., loosey goosey just never pays off for me. Tight-Aggressive, NOT Loose-Aggressive is the style I employ those days that I have the patience. Those are the days I win, or at least don't lose as quickly. Of course that requires that I actually get some playable hands. As soon as I start to get a little cocky and play more hands and/or in trickier situations is when I start losing.

Shoving/calling shoves is zero-sum for me. I lose the vast majority of those (80+%) regardless of whether I'm favored (65 - 98%) or not. I rarely lose the ones where I'm 100% when the shove occurs. :):):) But, never say never.

Last edited:
sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no people who constantly win.there is a category of professional players who play in plus.We are still young for this, but sometimes we win tournaments mostly because of luck.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Becoming a winning player is different for everyone. Some use TAG, some LAG , some in the middle, some use both. It depends on your understanding and what you are comfortable with.

I will say, unlike cash games you have to adopt multiple strategies to be successful in tournaments.

For example, TAG is successful early but because of the blinds and Antes moving up as the tournaments progress you simply can't wait for premium hands.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those who are winning at playing tournaments, how do you play? Are you playing 20% of your hands? What are you doing that has made you a winning player? How long did it take to get to winning and not losing? What has made the difference in you being a winning player and not a losing one? thanks
To win a tournament, there must be many factors-because this is a very dispersive poker discipline! Learn strategy and play a large number of tournaments and wins will come!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It probably depends on the stakes of the game and the poker player play-style. As said already, there is no single "winning" strategy or play-style. Many styles can be effective and it is up to you to discover which winning style best suits you. It is also worth noting that the best players all adapt their "style" to the situations. Even if a winning TAG style playing 10% of hands works for you, it is limiting if you don't adjust to the situations.

(for an extreme example: you are at a table FULL of NIT players who literally only wait for AA. Well now your 10% of hands is actually missing out on the situation. You can widen your range a lot to exploit the table and if anyone plays back at you, then you can confidently fold right there and know for sure they have exactly AA :D All right, this is a dramatic example as even NIT-players usually play wider than only AA, but it illustrates the point that it is beneficial to adjust strategies sometimes)

The simplified question asked here seems to be: "What do consistently winning poker players share in common?"

To this I'd answer several things such as:

- A lot of determination to not only continue playing through variance, but also an important determination to keep learning and improving their poker game.

- bankroll management. Doesn't matter how good you are at poker, you WILL go broke with bad bankroll management (or lack thereof). Having a disciplined bankroll won't 100% eliminate the chance of you going broke, but it will make it a lot less likely and this is a must for any long-term player.

- Table selection. This is connected to bankroll management. Table selection isn't always possible (like an MTT where you don't decide where you sit), but even there is sort of is because you decided what stakes/buy-in to play. Do you want to play softer tables and grind it out for the money or do you want to seek the tough tables and improve your poker game (while almost certainly losing money there for a while)? It depends on what your poker goals are, but table selection is very important.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I run between 17-25 VPIP depending on the type of event, table dynamics, and opponents on my left. I play tournaments exclusively and mostly 8max or full-ring.

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing tight early and looser later is would I find to be what wins tournaments. Alongside with that is winning flips, a couple of bluffs that take down pots, and getting lucky a few times where you behind by a mile. The more players in a mtt generally the more lucky you have to get meaning you might need to win while behind a few more times, bluff a few more times, win bigger pots and win a few more flips.

Some players play extremely loose in the early stages bascially gambling often with the worse of it and build a stack that way then tighten up a tad bit until the situation arises to play looser again. 'They often go through serveral buy-ins before they build a stack and then can put the pressure on without getting knocked out themselves doing so in the late stages. This essentially gives them some lifelines if they get unlucky or get it in with the worse of it and lose.

Also actually playing a lot of tournaments gives you a better shot of winning tournaments.

Last edited:
black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I only play with strong cards and patiently wait for good situations and mistakes of my opponents. This conservative strategy gives quite good results and my deposit grows regularly.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously there is more to tournament strategy than a certain VPIP. But yes my overall VPIP is actually around 20% for tournaments. Which is probably a bit on the tight side actually, since there are shorthanded situations, where its supposed to be higher. I think, the very best MTT players are probably closer to something like 23-25% overall. If it start to get into the 30`s, the player type typically shifts more towards a recreational player. Someone taking on a few to many spots, because they are looking to get in there and battle and have some fun. Or if they are passive, looking to get lucky and hit some hands.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Players dont win that often. I cant remember who the pro was but he was a great winning player and he said when he played a tournament with 500 players he felt he should win one time in 400. That's how hard it can be to win.

As for how to play, there is not true easy answer. I have gone deep in tournament playing on 13% of hands and won a tournament where I played over 1/3 of the hand dealt. It will depend on the card and the players around you.

How to become like those players, Study the game. Be open to learning and be prepared to make mistakes. Also realize it take a long time to become like those players you would like to be.

L

louis627

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play about 25% of my hands and bluff maybe 5%.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I manage to get a good place in a big tournament it's not just my hands. Very lucky.

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seeing the flopso much and so cheap as possible

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patient, looking for good spots for double my stack l, then wisely bully my table until late stages of the game.

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The big answer is "it depends". I think what you are going at is what can put you in the track of winning poker tournaments. The moment you get out of your head that you are going to win every tournament because I am good. It's not the case. The best players in the world don't decide to get up and say they are going to win a specific tournament. There is an understanding that many variables go into winning tournaments. Variance is a beast, table draw plays a huge part. All a player can do is make the best decision on each hand dealt to them to have a positive outcome to gain as much chips and lose as little chips as possible.

Advice is to study hard to build your ability to play the best poker you can. The decision is 40 seconds so your off the felt study on the grind is imperative to learn every spot of every situation in the many situations, stack sizes and stages of game. Its a long road and can't just wake up and know. Takes patience, determination, thrive to learn, humility to lose to learn over and over and over again. There is a lot of rinse and repeat. Just get in there and learn away!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I started online in 2007, so I was winning very quickly. I have developed a strategic style of play over the years by observing the tendencies of the majority in an attempt to figure out how to exploit the weakest parts of their game. For this reason, my "style" varies from game to game, but also from hand to hand. If (for example) I find an MTT table to be too passive/tight, I can easily adopt a "steal the blinds" mode of playing and attempt to win many hands with my lowest risk approach possible. If I recognize that my table is full of multi-tabling predictable as ants regs, then I adjust in a totally different direction. The style that is most successful is the chameleon. :cool:

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The champions dont told his secrets!!

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Formul Magic

I think there isn´t a formul magic. Every time do you need analisy the opponents in the table and play more agressive or tight

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Before you take up poker strategy and learn how to win, learn the rules of Texas Hold'em. Do not start your acquaintance with poker with several varieties at once, focus on Hold'em. Do not sit down at the table with serious bets until you master the rules perfectly, and most importantly – be sure to consolidate your knowledge in practice. For this purpose, a free game at the table for conditional chips, which is provided by many poker rooms for beginners, is suitable. The most suitable time for online poker is late at night. It is at this time that many poker fans (often in the company of alcohol and tired of everyday work head) are ready to lose part of their blood. The main thing is that this does not concern you: try to remain cheerful and clear-headed by the evening. And use the time zone difference to your advantage.