Are there any advantages to late registration at MTT online?

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you have a significant edge then starting a tournament on time gives your skill advantage more time to build your stack. Of course less of an edge would also possibly take advantage of less playing time and starting late. Unless a large portion of players start late then the point is possibly mute.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short term long term

To register in the tournament on time, or to use late registration - this topic has recently caused more and more heated discussion among the poker community, as more and more players every year decide to enter the tournament after an hour, or several hours (if this is a live tournament ) after it started. To be honest, there is no iron rule and it all comes down to personal preferences, but still I would like to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.

Obviously its a contro topic. I like starting from the beginning myself for the simple reason of more hands i play the better chance i have to getting a deep stack when the late reg is over. I have done the late reg from last level to mid level and i would say the late late reg has advantage in the sense that if your lucky and hit a rush to get 30+ bb or more then you dont have to sit for hours building a stack. To be honest the late late reg has won me more money in the short term and the on time starts make the money long term. But everyone runs different plays different i can see how curiosity could take you there.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To register in the tournament on time, or to use late registration - this topic has recently caused more and more heated discussion among the poker community, as more and more players every year decide to enter the tournament after an hour, or several hours (if this is a live tournament ) after it started. To be honest, there is no iron rule and it all comes down to personal preferences, but still I would like to discuss the pros and cons of both approaches.
It's really important to come to the tournament fresh. Therefore, late registration is a motivated salvation for those players who need an extra hour or two to rest for various reasons (jetlag, party or just fatigue). By the way, one of the possible reasons why big-name players like Phil Hellmuth go late check-in is ego. Late registration for a poker pro is a kind of etiquette, when you are late for a secular party, walk into the hall and draw dozens of glances at yourself. And it is somehow worthless to stand at the registration desk with other players, then take a playing place in the crowd and sit at a half-empty table waiting for other players.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, of course. The main advantage is that you can play more tournaments. That is, play a long distance in one day.

E

Escalantej89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

For me it depends on the tournament structure, if its a hyper, you dont wanne be late because you will have less moves or chances to act, and the presure of acting fast or going out will force you to make bad moves.

but if it is a slow tournament, ye sure, you can be late, and the advantage would be, you are fresh, wile other players are already a bit tired. jeje

T

terry5758

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
even the small stakes online MTT many times have hundreds of players and go for several hours. late reg cuts the time down a bunch.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The later you sign up, the stronger the field will be, because a lot of the fish will already fly out. If you decide to dive into tournaments to the fullest, you should be careful. bankroll management is a personal matter and depends on external circumstances. You should also consider the variance that comes with late registrations with shorter stacks. That is why we have compiled a table of what a default bankroll management strategy should look like.

oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
For me in particular, the best thing is to register at the beginning, you will have more chips throughout the tournament, to register at the last minute is to fight from below against opponents who have enough chips !!!

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An important consideration is how long you think you can play before your back starts bothering you and/or you lose concentration. I hate late registration and would not even enter but sometimes there are promotions and I get a ticket. I would probably enter fairly late.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play the tournament early on, but playing from late registration gives you the advantage of avoiding full aggressive players

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I registered a few times late at night when I was only like 3 away from the money. That's always a situation that's too good to pass up but generally i would say it is better to play from the start.

adoadoado76

adoadoado76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like from the beginning to the end to follow the game in the tournament in which I of course participate:)

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
I think it all depends on the size of the big blind at the time of your late registration. Among the pluses of late registration is participation in a knockout game. There is an opportunity to knock out lame players here.:)

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the structure of the tournament and your ability to play with a small stack
there are nuances, if you see a benefit, use it

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. If I am playing a MTT that has a lengthy registration, I find it best to enter late. For me, there are too many power trips initially. I wait until most have eliminated themselves. Works for me.

For MTTs without late registration and rebuys, I will join the hunt at the beginning,

Cheers!

Last edited:
uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
good time of day, one of the advantages of late registration in a tournament, if it is a tournament with a PCO, is that by entering the game in the late registration period, you can pick up a good bounty for the knocked-out player

T

TUGIN777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The high-limit regular made a post https://twitter.com/spaceyfcb/status/1142886307426734080 on Twitter with an analysis of the ICM-the benefits of late registration, which became famous in poker circles.
In satellites, it makes sense to regress late, because there is a very strong effect of money. On the other hand, in normal MTTs, especially at micro-limits, a good player will still have a higher ROI (but sometimes a lower win rate in dollars per table-hour*) when registering early due to an advantage over opponents, playing adequately tight and not cutting the entire stack in the early stages without a significant advantage in equity, especially with regulars**. The ICM bonus that late registrants receive reduces the advantage of early registration to a weak field, but not to zero.
Choosing is important only in high roller tournaments, where the field is small, everyone knows each other, getting a position on fish is more valuable, because fish are in short supply, the structure of the blinds is slower, the stacks are deeper, which means that the tables are shuffled less often.

* At the bottom of the download, late registration in a regular MTT (not a knockout) makes a little more sense just because of the time savings, but still less preferable than playing from the beginning in turbo MTT with the same BI that some competitors avoid. At the top, it is contraindicated, because the SWARMS are smaller without it, and the variance is much higher, each extra % of the SWARM is worth its weight in gold, more important than saving time.

** Here it is not a matter of the ICM, but of the Edge over the field. Let's say that a player's starting stack with 30% of the EURO has a value of 1.3 BI for him. Having won a coin very early, he will increase the value of the stack not to 2.6 BI, but rather to 2.4 BI (let me remind you that on average 1 stack = 0.89..0.91 BI due to the rake), because the effective stack against most of the table's players will remain single, and it will become double only against also doubled ones, among which there will be relatively more regulars than among single stacks.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes definitely
If you’re happy to play bingo with a half decent hand
Can save you a lot of time to get a lot of chips real quick��

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are a couple of reasons that this might be beneficial to you...

1) If you play your best as a short stack with lots of shove or fold decisions and your tournament life on the line, this is a good option.

2) Similarly if you lack the ability/discipline/luck to still have at least a full stack as rebuys come to a close, then this is also an option for you.

3) If you lack patience and just want to get to the final table action as quickly as possible, you can do a late buy in. too... But why not just play single table games...then you always reach the final table!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always like to play from the start to settle my nerves.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the tournament has a slow structure, then you can enter even the latest registration, and if it is turbo or hyper, it is not worth it, because only in 1 out of 10 tournaments we will be able to get into the prizes, and then it is doubtful further movement on the prizes, and if you look at the modern prize places, they will not even double us, as a result, it turns out that you should register in advance or in the first minutes of the start.

T

tomatientje

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are a player that is able to keep playing concentrated for a very long time, I think you better join in the early stage. Once closed you will have an advantage in your stack, if you are a player that wants to win a few dollars quickly and will not go for the best prizes, it will be okay to join late and go for the bubble.

Last edited:
S

suehtam05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only like to late register in hyper tournments where you can take your chances on a coin flip to double up. In deep stack tournments i prefer to be early

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually the only good thing about joining a tournament late is that you are providing more chips for the leaders to grab. Only chance you have by going in late is to play aggressive and hope that you hit a few nice pots as soon as you join in. Otherwise your chips will be gobbled up by the larger blinds.