Strategy for Ax on button

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm becoming a little more cautious of how I play hands like A2 and A3 offsuit on the button as well as in the cutoff. Deep stacked I am of course raising, but as the blind level decreases to 15bb or so I play it differently. A lot of players will call you OOP with weak hands like A6 or K8. When you both flop an ace that is bad for you, or if you miss or pair a 2 or 3 it's difficult to play. And then if you decide to limp a lot of the time you will get jammed.

I have haven't made a raise in several rotations or I catch Ax sutited I'm probably raising though. You are looking for of course for a flush, wheel, or 2 pair against the donk who slowplayed AK or KK.

I really do try to be cognizant of what my table image is though. Have I raised the blinds one too many times and are they going to put me to a decision their weaker holding, or is my raise going to be respected? v

E

ElmerS

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your struggle.
With 15bb on the button with A2o and the table folding to me I prefer to shove all-in.
As you said the hand is to strong to raise and fold after a shove and to weak to raise and call. You will mostly pick up the pot and when your opponent wake up with something you are still alive with around 30-35%.

I personally split my ranges in 3 categories.
Raise-fold, Push and raise-call.
Raise-fold my hands which are to weak to push profitable and raise-call are my strongest hands

Button 15 bb
Raise-call: 88+ AQ+
Push: 77-22, Ax, K9o, K5s, Q9, J9, T9 and most suited connectors
Raise-fold just a couple of hands below my Push range when I feel I can punish my opponent for folding to often

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At final tables and in SnGs ICM is also really important, so who are in the blinds might be more important than, which exact two cards you hold. If you are a middling stack and opening into the chip leader, its certainly not crazy to simply open fold rag aces with 15BB and wait for the short stack(s) to bust.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At final tables and in SnGs ICM is also really important, so who are in the blinds might be more important than, which exact two cards you hold. If you are a middling stack and opening into the chip leader, its certainly not crazy to simply open fold rag aces with 15BB and wait for the short stack(s) to bust.

My thought exactly - why not just fold? Others might discribe Ace rag - even Ace suited rag as too strong too fold too weak call - so jam?!?

I'd rather just fold - any lose player is calling your jam with ANY other Ace hand, off suit or not - that will have you dominated, or even worse - ANY pocket pair - 33s+. Unless I have VERY tight players to my left - this is an easy fold for me.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a stack of less than 15 blinds, it is better to play a push-fold and no limps. But personally, I can open 2 blinds from the button at 15 blinds because I have knowledge of who can open A 2 and who can not.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Under 20 BB I stopped playing A x unless its Ak AQ
A-rag ( especially suited) is playable with a healthy stack
when short stacked
I may not ever get the river
And with not much chip behind even I hit my two pair/ boat/ flush , don't enough have enough chips to get paid off
Short stack I have to change my strategy drastically and stop play A rag

But even with a healthy stack How I play Ax is the biggest difference making getting higher in tournaments
Ax ( assuming its not Aq AK) is a limp for me with healthy stack ( over 20BB)
if im early postion and usually folds to raises preflop most of the time
If I last-to act with limper than A8 or higher is raises for me
I generally confident in my post flop moves with Ax if I see flops with limper or callers to my raise

Last edited:
katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Any hand that includes an Ace is my favorite hand. I kind of prefer these hands to mid-low pocket pairs. While I wouldn't shove anything below A9, I would still make 2-3bb raise on the button and 2bb on cutoff for A2o-A8o

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raising 2 or 2.5 bb is the best play with any ace on the button or cutoff if no other players had entered in the pot. players will most likely respect you raise specially if you have a low vpip and pfr stats. also players tend to play more tight when they have less bb, so position is important in order to increase your stack.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The following has happened to me live more than online - I don't know why.

But there is a raise and a few callers - and I am on the button with Ax suited -usually A2 to A6.

So I flat the button and sure enough I flop an A-high flush. Which I usually slow play and pray that the board does not pair.

The only reason I would hesitate is that I know or feel that the original raiser has a big hand preflop.

So basically a flush or wheel is the only thing I can hope for - maybe two pair. It is tough to bluff 4 players into folding - and remember I know that at least one of them has a big hand.

But I have felted AA in this situation - he is out of position and at some point he shoves.

This has been extremely profitable - especially in tournaments.

Good luck !

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking, without ITM/ICM situations you shouldn't fold any Ax from the BTN (too tight)... in shallow stacks -15bbs the off-suited Ax you don't want to raise/fold must be shove as they have +EV considerable.

Remember, your BTN VPIP should always be high 'cause only have 2 players left to act and you'll have position against them, so you should try to play a lot of hands.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

With an Ace, he is a good player but it all depends on the accompanying card, if it is a card greater than or equal to 10 I like to raise pre flop, but if it is a low card, I play it only if they are of the same color.

C

Complx_Poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am far more likely to play Ace 2-5 than Ace 6-8, because Ace 2-5 has more equity because of the wheel. I think it just boils down to position for what I will do. Early position it's an insta muck. Mid position depends if they are suited. And late or on the button, It's a shove if I feel the SB/BB is likely to shove into me and make a play(I.e. They think I'm raising light on the button so they always come in over the top if I raise. To stop them making this play I shove, then they will fold most of their holdings regardless. Maybe they fold their Ace 7 when I had an Ace 5 ). If not, then a raise on the button is still fair regardless.

yango

yango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we have an option when playing A in this position of the button once we understand the type of play of all the rivals then it would only be necessary to increase or pay the bet if in any case we have an option to withdraw by a re-raise then it is better to take that path

speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing works. All strategies fail with many bad bet

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have pretty much stopped playing Ax unless it's AK, AQ and sometimes AJ. I feel like I'm just throwing my chips out the window no matter how I try to play Ax most of the time. I just don't connect, so 99% of the time, I'm folding those A2, A3, etc.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have pretty much stopped playing Ax unless it's AK, AQ and sometimes AJ. I feel like I'm just throwing my chips out the window no matter how I try to play Ax most of the time. I just don't connect, so 99% of the time, I'm folding those A2, A3, etc.

I go back and forth with this. If I’m short stacked then the correct play is play only AK and AQ
If I deep stacked. Raised with Ax at the button with limpers can steal the blinds And if there is reraise can fold or play depending on situations. If there is a call. The other player mostly doesn’t have AK or AQ and could be played cautiously hopping player has a smaller Ax or just a pair

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont do it unless you have confidence you will get folds often enough.
Suited is fine though. Offsuit muck it mostly.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position on the button in poker makes it possible to make the most profitable decision, taking into account the actions of all opponents on the table. If everyone falls to the button, always hands Ah will raise and if the blind will be 3 bet depending on the opponents in the blinds and their style of play, I will decide whether to call, fold or 4bet. It's the same if loose players open hands from early positions, I will often 3-bet. But you should always keep your head up with ace and weak kicker hands. Very often I saw how players playing such hands and seeing an ace on the flop gave the whole stack to hands with a stronger kicker. By observing your opponent, his range and playing style, you can play your hands correctly.

P

Pleshe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, it's become much easier for me once I realize that hands like A9o and below are really not that valuable just because you have an ace - depends on your position and stack size of course. Great thread :)