Standard spot bustout - still frustrated

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I've been back at the tables after a layoff of a couple of years. I remember like the big MTTs because of the thrill of being able to beat out a large field.

So I thought I'd try my hand again at it and started small.

I decided to play the big 0.55 which ended up having around 6-7000 registrations (excluding rebuys) and I found myself playing relatively well doing the standard things - outplaying weaker players in late position and abusing my large stack during the bubble.

Eventually I cruised my way into the top 300 when I found myself in the following standard spot:

blinds at 1000/2000 ante 150 (or something)

The loose big stack (350k) in UTG+3 limps for 2000 and the cutoff (semi-aggressive player) raises to 8800 (out of 35-40k)

I have 55k remaining (which is a little below average) and I wake up with AKo. I ship it in and the big stack turns over TT and the cutoff folds.

I bust but don't feel to bad about the play itself, which I consider is pretty standard.

However, I do realize that this is basically a part of tournament poker that can't be avoided unless you are on the big stack. And even staying on the big stack is a task in itself when you are priced in from time to time to call all-ins.

All-in-all I realize this mtt game will keep taking its toll if I can't get used to this. You end up playing well for a couple of hours (in the past even for 10+ hours) and eventually you're going to be in coin flip situations like these. Or even in dominating positions and still bust.

How do you deal with this? :confused:

scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer your question, I chalk it down to a cooler and move on to the next game. Its all part of the game. Do you multi table? I find multi-tabling makes the coolers more bearable as I am focused on more than just one or two games.

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you played your hand pretty standard squeeze although the stack sizes suggest there was wiggle room to play post flop and leave yourself with a playable stack if you need to fold on the flop or turn. In spots like that especially with an UTG limp I am always a little more cautious but like I said nothing wrong with a squeeze there especially if you think you have their range crushed.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as standard as it gets, you will need to win tons of flips and hands ur behind in to win tournaments with such big fields, no matter how good you are, id rather stick to slightly higher buyins with less people if possible so that you have a realistic chance of getting something out of it instead of trying to chase 5k+ fields wins

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as standard as it gets, you will need to win tons of flips and hands ur behind in to win tournaments with such big fields, no matter how good you are, id rather stick to slightly higher buyins with less people if possible so that you have a realistic chance of getting something out of it instead of trying to chase 5k+ fields wins
You may be right there. I remember playing the limited field size MTTs and I liked the fact that the time spent is also much less.

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer your question, I chalk it down to a cooler and move on to the next game. Its all part of the game. Do you multi table? I find multi-tabling makes the coolers more bearable as I am focused on more than just one or two games.

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you played your hand pretty standard squeeze although the stack sizes suggest there was wiggle room to play post flop and leave yourself with a playable stack if you need to fold on the flop or turn. In spots like that especially with an UTG limp I am always a little more cautious but like I said nothing wrong with a squeeze there especially if you think you have their range crushed.
I actually try not to multi-table anymore. I used to do around 4-6 in the past, but found that my game became too much ABC and tilt actually flowed over to my other tables :mad:

What I really try to avoid is playing cash games and mtts at the same time for that reason. I clearly remember playing huge 3/6 PLO8 pots and messing them up, because of some minor bustout in an MTT. Very expensive....

scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually try not to multi-table anymore. I used to do around 4-6 in the past, but found that my game became too much ABC and tilt actually flowed over to my other tables :mad:

What I really try to avoid is playing cash games and mtts at the same time for that reason. I clearly remember playing huge 3/6 PLO8 pots and messing them up, because of some minor bustout in an MTT. Very expensive....

that makes sense, if I ever do go on tilt it 100% affects all my games, playing cash or sngs its not so much of a big deal as I can just finish up the hands im playing or my set of sngs and take a break but with MTTs you are kind of stuck and if you are tilting its not ideal.

I usually have some sort of distraction at hand if I am only playing a table or two, maybe a live poker video on youtube or some training videos for background noise, I find that helps take my focus away too much from bad beats and coolers.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

I've been back at the tables after a layoff of a couple of years. I remember like the big MTTs because of the thrill of being able to beat out a large field.

So I thought I'd try my hand again at it and started small.

I decided to play the big 0.55 which ended up having around 6-7000 registrations (excluding rebuys) and I found myself playing relatively well doing the standard things - outplaying weaker players in late position and abusing my large stack during the bubble.

Eventually I cruised my way into the top 300 when I found myself in the following standard spot:

blinds at 1000/2000 ante 150 (or something)

The loose big stack (350k) in UTG+3 limps for 2000 and the cutoff (semi-aggressive player) raises to 8800 (out of 35-40k)

I have 55k remaining (which is a little below average) and I wake up with AKo. I ship it in and the big stack turns over TT and the cutoff folds.

I bust but don't feel to bad about the play itself, which I consider is pretty standard.

However, I do realize that this is basically a part of tournament poker that can't be avoided unless you are on the big stack. And even staying on the big stack is a task in itself when you are priced in from time to time to call all-ins.

All-in-all I realize this mtt game will keep taking its toll if I can't get used to this. You end up playing well for a couple of hours (in the past even for 10+ hours) and eventually you're going to be in coin flip situations like these. Or even in dominating positions and still bust.

How do you deal with this? :confused:
To get even deeper in tourny's,,,i find you have to make 'big folds" also,,,,which means folding in "standard" situations like you had,,,,just fold,,,and wait for a better spot.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To get even deeper in tourny's,,,i find you have to make 'big folds" also,,,,which means folding in "standard" situations like you had,,,,just fold,,,and wait for a better spot.

I agree totally with you, when I had “big folds”, I find myself in really deep stage of tournaments, most of the time on the final table.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This part of the game. It is necessary to take the game for what it is. Here there are good points and bad. But not to be upset, it is always possible to play only with KK and AA. :D