Sng or MTT, where do you suggest starting?

G

georgete321

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Sng or Matt, where do you suggest starting and why?

MazzErati

MazzErati

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I generally want to stop playing MTT, I go to the cache! And he started playing poker from the cache as well. But it's so much better for me, and if I were to start playing again, I would start with sitngo, it takes less time and is a little easier to play.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Starting meaning as a new player?
SnG for sure, better odds for a cash, quick game, and get can practice with final few at a table. Chances are you won’t make much for profit but you can learn the game and study your play
MTTs are great but there’s many stages of the game you must study to play right and run deep

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sng, because it's easier, you'll play small field, where there is little variance, you'll train icm situations with a good frequency, precisely because it's a very short field. When going up to mtts, you have to keep in mind that you will have bigger losses, and days of bigger defeats, so you have to work on the mindset all the time.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For beginners who want to study seriously and start building a bankroll, definitely SnGs.
In it, you will learn the dynamics of a tournament: early stage, mid stage, bubble and heads-up, and also concepts like ICM, Nash Equilibrium, etc.
Here you can even play turbo single table tournaments, but it is better to look for at least 8 minutes of blind levels.

But later, it depends on what are your goals. Let's say you want to be a MTT player: despite SnGs are quite similar, you will not be satisfied playing them in the long run. So, let's say you want to move to MTTs (because here are the bigger prizes, despite the bigger variance).

You can slowly increase the tournament number of players when you feel comfortable before moving to MTTs. There are many SnGs available with 18, 27, 36, 45 or even 90 players. So you can simulate how you would be going in a MTT, because this is what they are, despite being "sit and gos".
Here you will learn the dynamics of a final table.

Another very important thing, easy to say but not so easy to practice: when you are starting, do NOT play too much tournaments with many people or turbo tournaments: the variance is too high. Give it a shot sometimes, specially if it's a special tournament with a lot of money guaranteed.
Look for regular tournaments with less players (like 300 to 500 players).
Patience is maybe the most important thing in the beginning.

ninpo

ninpo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
SnGS are mush so mush easier than MTT's to play

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would recommend starting with the CIS and MTT, but starting not only on one site, playing in different types of tournaments and then you will be able to answer where to start

surfer696

surfer696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
“Without a doubt Sit and Go. With fewer players, there are more chances of winning a prize, and it's easier to develop strategies for this type of game.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon!
Since I don't have much time to play poker, I prefer to play cash on weekdays and play MTT + cash on weekends.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For beginners who want to study seriously and start building a bankroll, definitely SnGs. In it, you will learn the dynamics of a tournament: early stage, mid stage, bubble and heads-up, and also concepts like ICM, Nash Equilibrium, etc.
Completely agree.
Here you can even play turbo single table tournaments, but it is better to look for at least 8 minutes of blind levels.
Ideally yes but this can be a bit of a challenge, since turbos are more popular these days.
You can slowly increase the tournament number of players when you feel comfortable before moving to MTTs. There are many SnGs available with 18, 27, 36, 45 or even 90 players.
This unfortunately is not the case and tells me, its been a while, since you played SnGs yourself? pokerstars still have 18-man SnGs, but apart from that everything is now either single table games or "on demand" type games. ACR still have some 27-man SnGs in the lobby, but they never run, so they are basically just waiting to get taken down. But of course you can also use "on demand" games as a sort of bridge to MTTs.
Look for regular tournaments with less players (like 300 to 500 players). Patience is maybe the most important thing in the beginning.
Completely agree. Or even less than 300 players, which is not to difficult to find these days, especially outside the peak hours.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
To ensure that downswings do not jeopardize your poker career, you must carefully manage your bankroll and never risk too much in a single tournament. Your bankroll is your capital, which must be wisely invested to move forward.Experience has shown that a bankroll of 100 buy-ins best balances your interests in increasing income and reducing the risk of bankruptcy. Don't play a tournament if you don't have 100 buy-ins for it.Never invest more than 1% of your bankroll in a tournament. On the one hand, you must not let a losing streak take you out of confidence and into tilt. Imagine that this ability is one of the essential qualities of a poker player and set yourself the goal of someday learning how to laugh at bad beats.On the other hand, you have to be careful not to let the wave of bad luck run too deep into your poker wallet.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what is the bankroll and is there time to play mtt? there are also multi-table sng.
if you are just starting, I would advise you to play MTT - you will immediately understand if this is for you

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love MTTs! If you do have a deep run in a large field tourney the money is meaningful and the fun of that experience stays with you for days. MTT's are complex animals and you need to also play something like SNG or small turbo MMT's so you get the final table experience often. That way you can get a good feel for ICM and how to play different stack sizes. If you just play large field MTTs you wont make it to FT very often so when you do get there you won't be as comfortable as if you play SNG's. So my answer would be to play both for those reasons. GL!