SnG to MTT

M

Murraydan17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I got back into poker over the last year after being out since high school, early 2000s. I was never a great cash player but ok at tournaments. I hopped back in to 2/5 micro and of my 6 sessions busted each time. I played a few MTT and ran for a couple hours every time but busted before the bubble. I’m not a fan of spins and have had mediocre success. (50/50ish). I started playing the Sit n Go’s pretty hard over the past week and of the past 13 I played, I’ve cashed 10 with 6 being 1st place. All 2/5/10$ buy ins 9 handed. What I’m curious about is should I try MTT again or keep grinding the SnG. I seem to do well in the first part of MTT usually top 1/3 at the first break, but then I get stagnant, get a band beat or play a bad hand and fall apart from there. Looking for advice if anyone’s had a similar situation and how you progressed in MTT. Thanks!!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

I got back into poker over the last year after being out since high school, early 2000s. I was never a great cash player but ok at tournaments. I hopped back in to 2/5 micro and of my 6 sessions busted each time. I played a few MTT and ran for a couple hours every time but busted before the bubble. I’m not a fan of spins and have had mediocre success. (50/50ish). I started playing the Sit n Go’s pretty hard over the past week and of the past 13 I played, I’ve cashed 10 with 6 being 1st place. All 2/5/10$ buy ins 9 handed. What I’m curious about is should I try MTT again or keep grinding the SnG. I seem to do well in the first part of MTT usually top 1/3 at the first break, but then I get stagnant, get a band beat or play a bad hand and fall apart from there. Looking for advice if anyone’s had a similar situation and how you progressed in MTT. Thanks!!

Thank U 4 Posting

MTT's cashing 1-6 would mean you were a very strong player -as you are rusty (lol) you could easily be looking at 1-10 or more cashing for a while if you do not run hot.
Some would say you need 100 buy-ins at MTT the low side would be 50 buy-ins and yet you still might get broke.

Staying focused is often an issue with MTT play as they run so much longer than SNG. You mentioned playing a hand poorly so that may have been a focus issue.

If you do move to MTT you may want to try the shorter period late reg tournaments as you will not have to grind as long to get into the money.

As to busting before the bubble the factors that matter are:
1 Was the play correct in the hand?
2 Did you try to accumulate chips earlier?
3 Did you protect your stack correctly?
4 Where you playing to finish top 3 or did you adjust your play to min cash?

Hope this helps
:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing the Sit n Go’s pretty hard over the past week and of the past 13 I played, I’ve cashed 10 with 6 being 1st place.

13 is a meaningless small sample, and you basically just get lucky and went on a heater. You cant even begin to get an idea about your true winrate, until you have played at least a few houndred.

What I’m curious about is should I try MTT again or keep grinding the SnG.

It depends on your preferences and schedule. MTTs obviously require more committment, since they will last for hours, and you dont know in advance, how long you are going to be there. SnGs are more flexible, since you can always choose to end your session with around an hours notice.

On the other side MTTs have way more upside potential and also more postflop play due to generally deeper stacks. And for me at least I like to have the regular hourly breaks, when I play long sessions. For me the lack of such breaks have always kept me away from STTs to some extend.

It can be a fine solution though to start practicing with STTs and then move to MTTs later. It gives you experience with payjump situations and short handed play including heads up. all of which you need to navigate the final table of an MTT.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try playing MTT knockouts, I am sure you will enjoy playing there. As for me, this is better than SNG as there is a chance to compete for big prize money :icon_thum

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I transitioned from grinding sngs to mttsngs to mtts (though I still play a wide mix of all these formats in large part so that I have enough tables to play during my sessions).

Specifically, I started with 9-man super turbos on full tilt which was approximately 100 years ago now 🤣 What helped me the most was being aware of my strengths and weaknesses. I became great at shove/fold pretty quickly while playing (and studying like crazy) at the super turbos. I knew I needed a ton of work on my deeper-stacked game in order to eventually play mtts. So, I actually studied and played cash for quite a while since I thought that would best way to hone the skills I needed.

I’d suggest thinking about which game you most want to be playing, and slowly but surely work yourself up to having the best possible skill set for that game. Best of luck! [emoji4]

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT

Hey everyone,

I seem to do well in the first part of MTT usually top 1/3 at the first break, but then I get stagnant, get a band beat or play a bad hand and fall apart from there. Looking for advice if anyone’s had a similar situation and how you progressed in MTT. Thanks!!

The MTT is unlike anything else. At each stack level in MTT the strategy needs to be different. You need to know the stack and arsenal for each tournament level. In addition, give up your pockts pairs is normal in MTT.

GG

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is keep grinding SNGs keep studying hard and make a larger sample so you can see how you feel about this type of game and also if you're really good at it or just got Lucky ... Hope you let us know how it goes good luck !