SNG. back to back monsters

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I am really pissed in how I played the second hand.
let me start by stating this. PS 0.5$ 180 players.
my stats. VPIP 20, PFR 12, UOPFR15, 3bet7, 4bet 22, hands played 59.
  1. SB, AKsc. UTG limps, EP1 limps, CO x3, btn calls, I 3bet x17.5. all fold, except btn, Flop 7sAhAs. I check he bets 1/3 pot, I called. Turn, 2s, I checked, he bets 1/3, I jam he folds.
  2. BB w/ KK PF. EP1 limps, Villain min raise 3 button, 3bet x10.5 villain calls 7s3h6d rainbow 1/2 pot 2 callers, 2d Check- MP1 cheks, BTN bets 1/3 I Raise 1/2 Pot villain goes allin , river 3s. Villain had 3d4d. Im down to 9BB. WTF.
N.B I always go last raise x (number of players me included + 0.5)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I am really pissed in how I played the second hand.
let me start by stating this. PS 0.5$ 180 players.
my stats. VPIP 20, PFR 12, UOPFR15, 3bet7, 4bet 22, hands played 59.
  1. SB, AKsc. UTG limps, EP1 limps, CO x3, btn calls, I 3bet x17.5. all fold, except btn, Flop 7sAhAs. I check he bets 1/3 pot, I called. Turn, 2s, I checked, he bets 1/3, I jam he folds.
  2. BB w/ KK PF. EP1 limps, Villain min raise 3 button, 3bet x10.5 villain calls 7s3h6d rainbow 1/2 pot 2 callers, 2d Check- MP1 cheks, BTN bets 1/3 I Raise 1/2 Pot villain goes allin , river 3s. Villain had 3d4d. Im down to 9BB. WTF.
N.B I always go last raise x (number of players me included + 0.5)

Thank U 4 Posting

In the second hand what hand that we are beating calls our check raise turn and does not have a boat load of equity?

The flop is not our flop why are we betting 1/2 pot? Our V has all the sets on that flop and draws based on their min raise and now known playing style. They also have way more hands that can improve in their range versus our limited improvement outlook with KK.

Half pot gets our V to narrow their range to strong equity hands and very few floats. We already 3 bet OOP so our V suspects we have premium cards mostly so they can play AA cracker hands effectively past the flop. Which is exactly what this player did. Pair plus gutter plus backdoor flush draw.

The V has 35.15% equity (KD in your hand) and is getting 3-1 on a flop call. Implied odds turned out to be the rest of their stack. So the V made no mistake calling flop.

Then the V puts max pressure on KK by 1/3 pot bet- 3 bet shoving turn and hits with 36% equity.
By the way knowing SPR on turn would help with the math of the V's play as well as if the strategy was sound or not. However if the V thought you could fold turn with AA-QQ then shove is a strong play if they had enough chips behind to expect to get folds.

It is important to note that our V could play all their nut hands on this flop exactly the same way if they thought you would call with some % with AA-QQ on turn. As well the holding this player had suggest a LAG playing style which means 54 76 33 77 66 are all going to play this flop call- turn bet- shove exactly like this.

LAG players do not define their hands on the flop as often as TAG players do. That is why you will see the pro players not take the line you took on the flop and on the turn. The pro players know that this is a very dangerous board for KK versus a LAG player.

That is why you see 1/3 pot bets or 3/4 pot bets on flops like this. Followed by small bet turn or check call turn which is what is most effective in a tournament format. Stack preservation matters in SNG

Hope this helps
:):)

Last edited:
peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting

In the second hand what hand that we are beating calls our check raise turn and does not have a boat load of equity?

The flop is not our flop why are we betting 1/2 pot? Our V has all the sets on that flop and draws based on their min raise and now known playing style. They also have way more hands that can improve in their range versus our limited improvement outlook with KK.

Half pot gets our V to narrow their range to strong equity hands and very few floats. We already 3 bet OOP so our V suspects we have premium cards mostly so they can play AA cracker hands effectively past the flop. Which is exactly what this player did. Pair plus gutter plus backdoor flush draw.

The V has 35.15% equity (KD in your hand) and is getting 3-1 on a flop call. Implied odds turned out to be the rest of their stack. So the V made no mistake calling flop.

Then the V puts max pressure on KK by 1/3 pot bet- 3 bet shoving turn and hits with 36% equity.
By the way knowing SPR on turn would help with the math of the V's play as well as if the strategy was sound or not. However if the V thought you could fold turn with AA-QQ then shove is a strong play if they had enough chips behind to expect to get folds.

It is important to note that our V could play all their nut hands on this flop exactly the same way if they thought you would call with some % with AA-QQ on turn. As well the holding this player had suggest a LAG playing style which means 54 76 33 77 66 are all going to play this flop call- turn bet- shove exactly like this.

LAG players do not define their hands on the flop as often as TAG players do. That is why you will see the pro players not take the line you took on the flop and on the turn. The pro players know that this is a very dangerous board for KK versus a LAG player.

That is why you see 1/3 pot bets or 3/4 pot bets on flops like this. Followed by small bet turn or check call turn which is what is most effective in a tournament format. Stack preservation matters in SNG

Hope this helps
Thanks for the thorough explanation, the board wasnt mine to start with. I was trying to make him fold but instead I played it like a moron.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the thorough explanation, the board wasnt mine to start with. I was trying to make him fold but instead I played it like a moron.

Thank U 4 Responding

Please do not be so harsh on yourself you made a mistake all of us have made and even sometimes still make

When we hold AA KK we want to win we expect to win and we try to win!

Winning the hand is not as important as winning as many chips as possible or losing as few as possible

We have to think about NL as a 7 card game not just the KK we hold but the relative strength on all boards

It may help you to do more villain range reflection work

The great part is you are here working on being better -looking forward is the key. Good for you

Hope this helps

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the first hand I don't see the need to go all in, on the second hand the flop bet is too short for so many straights.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'll give you my thoughts but when posting a hand history, you need to consider posting ALL of the stack sizes... and prizepool payouts. Add to that, 'player reads' & 'how we've been perceived' < or IF that is even relevant (in this game vs. the 43 guy... probably not relevant at all obviously)

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ah yes, the power of LAG. 34s, 45s, 56s, all within my range if my chip stack allows.

Increasing your raise with KK will do 1 of 2 things. It will do nothing, I'm calling based on my chip stack. If you overbet it's so obvious you have AK or a big pair. The second thing is I simply will fold and you are winning very little.

A pair is just that, 1 pair. It is very hard to improve, but more importantly it is very hard to know where you are at. I know exactly where I'm at with 34. I have a pair, gutshot, and backdoor flush draw, but I know most of the time I'm behind.

If I missed the flop I just let it go.

As much as it sucks, you have to know that this board is bad for your hand and not get too invested. I would have folded, which I get is easier to say than do. You just fell in to a common trap by putting on blinders and not looking at what actually beats your hand.