Small pairs (22-99)

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on your stack , how do you play small pairs - 22-99?
I often see how a short stack plays all-in with small pairs, but the player is often so played with the middle stack, especially in knockout tournaments
Is it justified?

Guii_LF

Guii_LF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament I usually play for a pinch, if I look good in chips from the middle of the tournament I play aggressively depending on the position on the table

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it justified?

If there is no multipot threat, then yes, it is justified. Even 22 is better than AK against one villain. In knockouts, it's a chance to knock someone out. In other cases, it's a good strategy to get a cheap set. :icon_cat:

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It all depends on the specific situation. From your stack, opponents, ...

R

raymondzav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually fold small pairs to all ins most of the time unless i have big stack i can call.

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise preflop depending on the position and my stack if all-in is folded.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on stack to blinds ratio. If I have like under 15 bbs I'm shoving 22-99. If I'm deep stacked I'm limping 22-99 and set mining with them also, at d end of the day their or marginal pairs. You are always looking to hit a set with those pocket pairs especially, but no reason to go wild when deep stacked

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some of those pairs the lower end are great for set mining-the top end of those 6-6 thru 9-9 are good raising hands in position-and if your tourney life is jeopardy then there great hands to push all-in with,early in any tourney ide be somewhat cautious busting out with one of those hands

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
22-66 small pairs 77-88 med.small 99-jacks medium pair Queens-Kins big pair Aces Super pair

I just want to see the cheapest flop with them...maybe c bet if it makes sense on board.

pr0serbian

pr0serbian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if im short staked under 15 bb then im open shoving 22+

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play for a set, usually limping in but as others have said, shove if I'm short stacked.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small pairs

i like going all in with pairs from 22 to 66 even if it might be -EV in some cases. If i have a big stack and i go against one player, then it proves to be decent.
if i get pairs from 77 to 99 i go all in even if i'm short stacked, especially from late position.

Sergiy777

Sergiy777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy All In For Me With Any Pair, With Short-Mid Stack :)

F

fezjones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a lot of situations 22 thru 44 is a fold preflop. 22 might be the biggest sucker hand in poker. In my life I have never ever seen a set of dueces take down a huge pot. except for Joe cada in the main lol.

daredeviljo

daredeviljo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very dependent on one's stack and position. Uusually, you should only all in with 22-99 with less than 20BB. And 22-55 only in late position, like cutoff, button or small blind when no one else has opened. 99 is quite a bit stronger than 22, so I'd jam it from practiccaly any position in the table if there are antes and I have less than 20BB.

A great use for small pockets is when you have many big blinds and you have the opportunity to go to the flop for cheap. This is because, 1 out of 7.5 times, you'll hit a set. And sets are very, very strong hands, allowing for many chips to be gained.

But, it's all about stack, position, table image, the other players at the table, and also previous action in the hand.

Good luck.

There are quite a few YouTube videos/articles on this, so I'd recommend you search this up.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it always right to fold small pairs to 3-betting?

Trick1988

Trick1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it always right to fold small pairs to 3-betting?

not always, depends on your position on your stack, your opponents' bets. And do not forget that you only have 2 cards before.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the position...

wrabinho

wrabinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in early position i like to limp it, but in late positions all in .

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a small pocket pair - try to enter the game a limp. Small pocket pairs need to be played passively, and try as cheap as possible to see the flop. You can call a standard raise, if you are playing in a position. If you come to the right flop, you will have a pretty good disguised hand and you will be able to take a fairly large pot. If the stack is short, then you need to put all-in from any position.

E

Edvin55555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With small stack it's a good hand for a push. From late positions i use small pairs to steal blinds. Otherwise it depends on situation on the specific table.

I

Ivaldo de Araujo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
99 in a tournament with less than 10BBs is a clear push, even a 77 works. But if u r one of the largest stacks on the table 77+ is kind a call praying for a set. In good positions like a CO when everybody folds before u than its a clear bet.