Size of opening bet in late stages of freeroll

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing tons of freerolls lately and I noticed that after a few levels, when blinds are really big and most players have between 10 to 30 BBs, the opening bet of a hand preflop can be just 2 BBs. Most people will fold, even the BB if he is short-stacked, and you get the result of a standard 2.5~3BB bet for a lower price.

Please, share your thoughts on the subject.

I feel the notion of betting and raising smaller sizes in late stages of MTTs as opposed to the early stages is mostly correct. The reason for this is because making a raise of something like 2.5x BB or even 2x BB will be likely be enough to put an opponent to a decision where they risk a decent chunk of their stack size to see the flop and then risk being pot-committed later on postflop.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man I really like your posts whenever I come across I read them. Nice analysis every time and always to the point. I use Little's push / fold chart too, do you have any free chat for rejam situations when we are shortish 15-20 bbs against loose open raisers or generally +EV rejams?

No problem man, anything to help people get better.... my iso range or what you call rejam (assuming that's what you mean).... I dont have any charts so to speak, I gave it based off the size of stacks that are still left to act, in comparison to my holding.... obviously I'm isolating the orginal jam with AA, KK, and most of the time QQ.... if I'm gonna call a jam, chances are it's going to be good enough to isolate.... the diffrence is do I have a hand that plays well multiway like suited connectors and large suited 1 gappers, or do I have hands I dont want to go Multiway with like any mid to large pair....

Once I figure that out I then start comparing stacks.... if I do Isolate, and still get calls how much am I risking to lose? How much will the side pot be if I lose to the Orginal jam? Once I figure that out I compare ranges, put myself in the shoes of the players still to call and ask myself if I would risk thier stack with hands that would dominate me....

Hope that helps....

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No problem man, anything to help people get better.... my iso range or what you call rejam (assuming that's what you mean).... I dont have any charts so to speak, I gave it based off the size of stacks that are still left to act, in comparison to my holding.... obviously I'm isolating the orginal jam with AA, KK, and most of the time QQ.... if I'm gonna call a jam, chances are it's going to be good enough to isolate.... the diffrence is do I have a hand that plays well multiway like suited connectors and large suited 1 gappers, or do I have hands I dont want to go Multiway with like any mid to large pair....

Once I figure that out I then start comparing stacks.... if I do Isolate, and still get calls how much am I risking to lose? How much will the side pot be if I lose to the Orginal jam? Once I figure that out I compare ranges, put myself in the shoes of the players still to call and ask myself if I would risk thier stack with hands that would dominate me....

Hope that helps....

Yeap it is definitely a good start here , thanks a lot for your time :)

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you want to be doing a ton of open shoving if you can get away with a small bet.
From the sb with 20bbs you really can only open shove:

22,A2,K9,K4s,Q9,Q5s,J9,J7s,T9,T6s,98,96s,86s,75s,65s,54s

And against most villans (not super 3betty) your 22 and AQ are probably the only hands you want to open shove from the small blind.

With 20bbs you still have room to min raise fold and to limp stab the flop.

But if you have to go through a bunch of villans your range really has to tighten.

The counter point is that if you min raise with < 20 BB, you'll play a lot of flops out of position with only < 18BB behind. I rather get my money in ahead or fold, unless I have a lot of preflop fold equity with a minaise versus tight opponents. Personally, in the small blind I'll use a limping strategy unless I notice the BB reacts overly aggressive to limps.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are shoving 20bbs with a range worse than:22,A2,K9,K4s,Q9,Q5s,J9,J7s,T9,T6s,98,96s,86s,75s,6 5s,54s in the sb you are going to lose money over the long term. There is no way beat the math.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
rarely do minreise, prefer to bet the same amount on preflop to make it harder to read me.