Sitting out beneficial in early stages of freerolls?

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it beneficial to sitout during the early stages say maybe the first 30 mins or so in freerolls if you plan on actually cashing? It just seems like every time I have a good hand I lose early stages because my table will have 8 players all in. any thoughts about this?

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is reason to wait until the hunters run out, who go to the Bank with all the garbage, just to double. But I still wouldn't throw off my hands like AA KK AK.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with playing tight early on. I wouldn't completely sit out though. You could get the aces or kings and bust em all.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not like to do that, if the tournament have late registration do not register until you think it's time, but if the tournament do not have late because only play from the beginning because it depends on the time of the blind, many factors to evaluate

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No point missing the start of free rolls - lots of easy opportunities to double up.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it beneficial to sitout during the early stages say maybe the first 30 mins or so in freerolls if you plan on actually cashing? It just seems like every time I have a good hand I lose early stages because my table will have 8 players all in. any thoughts about this?
If you plan on cashing, you'll need chips! In my opinion sitting out in the early stages is not wise because you will miss out on the possibility of gathering some chips for cheap. Indeed, I agree that many players do not play well early in freerolls - but if you navigate these players with good decisions you can potentially gather a lot of chips that will help you later on a deep run.

R

RobQQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
na

in freerolls you might as well play from the beginning. there a lot of chips to be had in the first hour of a freeroll. a lot of people dont care because theres really not that much at stake. Thats in a big freeroll or site freeroll. a private freeroll would probably be different. I would have to think about cash buy-in tournaments especially if theres like 3 hours of late registration. The only thing is you dont want to wait to long because the blinds will get high and youll come in feeling like a short stack

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh that could be a start for me as I loose always early on freerolls I will consider sitting out if there so many players in it

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first few hands I usually wait it out for some all ins. But I find in the beginning it’s possible to find players giving away chips

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is important early on as much as cards.

Duraphig

Duraphig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to only play premium hands at the start of a freeroll. There are just too many people going all in with anything at the very start of the freerolls it seems. Once most of those players are gone I will open up my game a bit.

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fell frerolls are usually very fast so there is no point in sitting out and its freroll so im always trying my luck at the start and if i get big stack i can go for win

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I like to see every hand at the table. I don't like to join tournaments late.

Nisnimnin

Nisnimnin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever Id try that, I'd be multitasking and watch in horror as a great hand got autofolded before I could sit in.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The early stages of free rolls are just shove fests for the most part. It's definitely a good time to register, you can pad your stack pretty early on with some pretty frequent 70/30s, avoid some of the later 50/50s and have the other person covered.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's not really anything beneficial about sitting out in the early stages except for the fact that you'll invest less time into playing the tournament. The early stages actually tend to be the best stages in tournaments(especially freerolls) because the donks haven't been knocked out yet and are just throwing chips away with weak hands.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As they say, you cant win a tournament in early stages, but you can definately lose it.

And in freerolls, with all the donks multiple shoving any two in the early stages, its more than possible to donk on you with random two pairs or better. But, its also the best stages, that you can get maximum value for your monsters cause they are calling shoves with just bottom pair or even nothing at all, hoping to get lucky.

The motto to play early stages of every freeroll is: tight is right. Dont just sit out in the whole early stage. Because you will definately lose an easy double up. Forget shoving with AK or AQ if based on stack sizes someone donking on you means you are busted. Wait for a real monster hand or better a flopped monster. If it doesnt come fold all day. When it comes, double up. Repeat. Double up again. Thats it. Now just sit out and play only AA, KK and depending on position and stack sizes AK, QQ, AQ, JJ and set mining with minimum losses until donks are busted or antes starts kicking in. Believe me, just strictly following this basic plan will multiply your freeroll cashing chances.

Last edited:
Freeroll Passwords