Sit n Go bankroll and beginner questions

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never done too well with the Spin & Go variety of these, in part I suspect because most of the time you win $2 from a 3 person $1 buy in ... but I've tried some 9 player Sit & Go's today and done reasonably well. Came first out of 9 in two out of three so far, and tried some Double or Nothing's and placed in two out of three of those too.

Cash games scare me and I normally play tournaments, using money I'm prepared to lose not expecting to make money from it. My normal philosophy is that if I spend £5 buying in to a tournament that I am going to play for a couple of hours that's less than I'd spend on other activities and anything I win that's bonus.

But after reading this site for a bit and doing OK in my MTTs and so far (and I know it is a very small percentage to measure from) in the Sit & Go's I'm tempted to try and see if I can build a bankroll. If I fail, I fail, but if I can, great.

Is it possible/advisable to build a bankroll from Sit & Go's?

Most bankroll management pages (including the one I found here) are for Cash Games or MTTs. What's a good buy-in rule of thumb for good bankroll management of Sit & Go's.

And how many games do you need to play before you can get some good statistics on how well you're playing with those Sit & Go's and whether you're making a profit or not? I see many people refer to BB/100 hands for Cash but is there something comparable with Sit & Go's and how soon can you tell?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think SnGs can definitely be used to build a bankroll if you play them correctly.

As far as BRM, it's very dependent on your financial situation. If the money you play with is replaceable, you can keep as little as 30 or 40 buyins in your bankroll and replace it if you bust. If you want to play it more conservatively and not worry about busting, I think 100 buyins is enough. I started with about $75 in my bankroll and played the .50 SnGs and the .25 MTTs. I won some and moved up to the $1.50 and $3.00 SnGs and and the 1.50 - 2.00 MTTs.

Good luck!

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think SnGs can definitely be used to build a bankroll if you play them correctly.

As far as BRM, it's very dependent on your financial situation. If the money you play with is replaceable, you can keep as little as 30 or 40 buyins in your bankroll and replace it if you bust. If you want to play it more conservatively and not worry about busting, I think 100 buyins is enough. I started with about $75 in my bankroll and played the .50 SnGs and the .25 MTTs. I won some and moved up to the $1.50 and $3.00 SnGs and and the 1.50 - 2.00 MTTs.

Good luck!
Thanks. I've currently got $40 in my BR and was playing the $1 games, but I guess I should be playing the 40c ones instead?

And how many games roughly would it take before able to tell if playing consistently at a win or a loss overall?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well you can play the dollar ones if you can replace your bankroll if you bust.

You probably need 10000 games before you can really assess winrate

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You probably need 10000 games before you can really assess winrate

More like 1.000 I would say. You still wont know your exact winrate, but you will have a good idea, if you are winning or not. 10.000 games will take years to play for most people, and during that time you will hopefully have moved up. Its not the goal to play for years at the very lovest possible stakes like 1$ SnGs.

Thanks. I've currently got $40 in my BR and was playing the $1 games, but I guess I should be playing the 40c ones instead?

$1 SnGs is a very low limit already, so I would much rather add some more money to the bankroll, if you are not comfortable playing with only 40 BIs. But you dont need to do it, unless its nessesary. Maybe your theoretical risk of going bust is 30%, but this also mean, that 70% of the time, you wont go bust. And if you do, then just deposit another 40$ and repeat. The goal is to get into something like 5-10$ games as fast as possible, and playing for 40c at a time wont make you reach the goal faster.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I to dislike cash tables as I fight to break even it seems, mtts are my fav but can take way to long, so sitngos are great,
1 in 3 paid is the best odds you’ll find, so if you understand the game play and the rake isn’t to high, it should be the best way to increase your bankroll. I also think 40 buyins is plenty, 100 buyins is for large field tourneys��

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2$ is really not a good offer to beat 2 opponents, and most of the time this happens, 3$ is very rare.
I don't play that often, if i want to play sit & go mostly Double Or Nothing.
I think it is possible to build a bankroll in any game mode, i plan to do the same.
If the traditional Sng went so well then I think it's worth a try.
50bb is needed to build a Sng bankroll, especially since you are trying it for the first time.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management