Should there be a harsher penalty For acting out of turn

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the 2019 main with 4 players left in the 5ok high roller as many of u remember the hand here is the link for it too refresh ur memory.

The first player too act Sam Soverel raised too 400k and yurasov shoved all in for 4.93 million chips with A-10 suited diamonds lucky chewy folds and action goes too Ben Heath who looks down and see he has A-Q suited hearts Ben health is second in chips with 9.3 million he ask Yurasov for and count gets it and goes in too the tank with 2 seconds left on the the clock
Ben Heath uses his time chip too get more time for what ever reason Sam Soverel takes one more look at his cards and folded out of turn Ben Heath decides too call and he wins the hand taking Yurasov out in fourth place and wasnt too happy about. After the tournament was over there were some people who thought that Sam Soverel was angle shooting and purposefully folded out of turn too maybe get a pay jump even some thought he shoud be dq all together
My question for u all what if any should the punishment be for folding or should there be no action taking should intend be a part of the decision making process and lastly should the dealer announce when a time chip was used the dealer in the higher didnt announce that a time chip was used ty and gl at the cc tables today.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99% of the time it is an accident - so no, I don't think there should be a harsher penalty.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Unless a person has been acting out of turn often and has been warned I would not want to see a penalty happen. Accidents happen and I think it would be to much to give a guy a penalty for this. Also think about seat one at the table being blocked by the dealer and how that would feel if you played out of turn because you could not tell what seat 9 just did.

L

lincs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time it is an accident - so no, I don't think there should be a harsher penalty.

I fully agree. But also.
Unfortunately, just like angle shooting. It is and should be 100% un-penalized.
It's not right. but no law against it.

Acting out of turn is a huge one though. most times. It was a mistake.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
If is an accident, Ok dont do it again!
If done again in the same Tournament or Table then falls within the 1% Debie mentioned, and then Of course something should be done.
In a cash Table once we kick the "funny player" out, in a Tornament we ask the Dealer to call the manager and take care of the not so "funny player". :bike:

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time it's done by mistake I have folded out of turn and I'm sure others have too. So no harsh penalties unless it's repeat offenders

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Most future issues with time bank cards could be eradicated by making the player declare to the cashier/table 'Time', before using a time bank card.

Failure to do so could be instantly punished by sitting out an orbit. Severe, yes, but the practice of casually tossing in a time bank card with no declaration would stop over night. Thereafter, no more excuse for folding out of turn under this specific circumstance.

However, the Soverel instance has context.

First - Soverel had/has a dubious reputation in the poker community. Whether that is truly justified or not I have no idea, but I did find it interesting that Ike Haxston said Soverel should have been DQ'd. Haxston is generally low key and an always pleasant guy, so it seemed a very pointed wade-in by Ike.

Second- Soverel's behavior does not square.

As others noted at the time, he throws his cards away. At this point he should be relaxed and disinterested if it were an accident. He could have reached for a drink, his phone, possibly turned to the rail (as it was final four players). But his overall demeanor should have been nonchalant.

Instead he casually mucks his hand, then immediately, for no apparent reason turns to look at Ben Heath (who made no exclamation) then throws his hands to his head in an elaborate display of shock and surprise.

It makes little sense. If it was an accident one would have thought Heath or the cashier would have to point out the error to him and then he would refocus on his mistake.

Yes I would agree people acting out of their turn happens with some frequency. But rarely if ever does it happen when four are left in a key high roller event (anyone got another example?). And, lets not forget this- there was an immediate and dramatic consequence of that one play, an instant $200,000 ladder up.

Last edited: