River Hand Quiz with Collin and Katie: Fold, Call, Or Raise? (VIDEO)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's time for another poker hand quiz! This time focusing on what you should do on the river. Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier quiz us on five different hands. And you must decide: do you Call, Raise, or Fold? Get four right and you are a Certified River Decision Expert!

Watch the video and tell us how you did! Don't forget to subscribe to our channel too so you don't miss any of these great videos:

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great quiz. I got the 1st, 2nd, and 4th hands correctly. I chose to fold on hand 3 but Colin and Katie disagreed. My call was also correct because they went on to lose the hand :) So, is this a score of 3 1/2?

Thanks for the quiz....

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Haha 3 1/2 sounds more than fair, nice work Gryphon!

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im doing this in real time wile i watch the video
1-AQo Call
2-AQo Fol
3-AJo Call
4-AQs Call
i miss the last one 3/4. I really think that shoving there with Tpair with paired board is too louse,i guess im lousing some value at the river.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
some of my pre-flop and turn decisions would be different, but I do the same in 3/4 of these hands, the hand number 3 (AJ) I would fold most of time, because big blind range, have a lot of 7x, and he bet high in the river, and I don't see a bluff in this situation

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are my answers.:D
1 hand call
2 hand fold
3 hand call
4 hand call

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
River hand quiz - 2nd video

1st hand - I would call as there are two pair on the board, so likely the opponent missed. I have A with a good kicker with the Queen.

2nd hand - I would fold here, there is a possible straight (wet board) and I dont want to waste chips when I dont have at least a pair.

3rd hand - I would fold the hand here, he called all the way and made the large bet on the river and I would respect that, unless I had a different read on the opponent.

4th hand - Normally I would have called here, but after hearing the explanation, I will attempt to raise next time I am in this position, although I don't think I would raise all in.

K

ksandr010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always dicided difficult on river. Now I know what to do in different situation. The only thing I don't agree with is the third-hand solution. I would fold. Thanks, Collin and Katie

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Don't wanna be a dick, but where I can find Katie Dozier's credentials? Her bet sizings look like how I used to bet in 2011. Half pot on A77? yikes.

I got 3/4, folded to large donk on the river. I would much rather call with Tx or even 5x pair, blocking full house. Never calling with ace, especially with J diamond.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  1. Call
  2. Fold
  3. Call
  4. Call
I think i am correct :icon_king

hackmeplz

hackmeplz

Sleep Faster
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would have made the same river decisions as the quiz, but I think 1 and 3 have pretty large mistakes before the river.

For #1 how are you not firing that turn? Betting flop and checking turn seems pretty bad, I'd say bet twice > ch back flop > bet flop ch turn.

For #3 we opened UTG and got a call from the blinds, we're in a pretty classic wa/wb spot so why on earth are we betting twice? Personally I check back this flop 100% of the time but I can see arguments for bet flop check back turn. Although I do mostly play cash and given this guy showed up with K7o (lol wtf) shows that maybe this is just a massive whale and we just need to take him to value town. Although if he's that bad he has a lot more 7x so idk. Either way would like to hear your detailed thought process for why you're betting two streets here.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
first call
second fold
third fold, it has happened to me many times hidden three of a kind, because he follows my bets and finally he raises.
fourth raise
:)

Naty2585

Naty2585

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have fold the 1 and 2 and i would had called the 3 and 4,i guees im taking the wrong desitions on river.
I dont like calling with A high unless the player is bluffing a lot,and with a Tpair with a good kicker i like more calling tham raising and even more with the board paired like hand 3 and 4,i guees im not taking into consideration the sizing off oponents to either call them or raise them in 2 spots very similar like hands 3 and 4.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Call. Just interesting to look his range.
2) Fold. He fall in flop
3) Call. If he goes all in I fold.
4) Call. I'll probably win on showdown and lose when he has Tx.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, analyzing the four situations, i think the third hand is perhaps a little more dubious, since the villain hit his set on the flop. Check or call i think it's pretty ok.

#1: AQo Call
#2: AQo Fold
#3: AJo Maybe Check or Call
#4: AQs Raise or All-in

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first hand: fold
second hand: fold. But if it were me, I would 3bet pre flop.
third hand: call
fourth hand: raise. And cbet flop.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't wanna be a dick, but where I can find Katie Dozier's credentials? Her bet sizings look like how I used to bet in 2011. Half pot on A77? yikes.

I got 3/4, folded to large donk on the river. I would much rather call with Tx or even 5x pair, blocking full house. Never calling with ace, especially with J diamond.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the way of thinking and sizings either (like preflop, minraise 45bb deep from UTG+2).

But keep in mind the audience of the quiz. Reckon for most CC members this way of thinking is already a huge step forward. First you need to understand the more fundamental concepts before you move on to more details like what sizing is best, what are blockers etc.

So keep up the good work, would be great to see some higher level content coming too, but as a beginning training video this definitely fits the purpose! :D

Last edited:
Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guessed 3/4 correctly, the 4th was a call in my book, but I would like to go through these hands and start a discussion about them if possible. Lot's of things for players to learn from them.
Ok, let's start :)

1st hand, seems like an ok call. If we take odds into consideration, there are plenty of bluffs and it seems that we can safely call here.
I would like to point out, that not having Qd here is very important, as it means there are a lot more possible QXd bluffs in V's range.

2nd hand - is a good example of why it's not a super good idea to flat strong hands from BU. It seems that, with 2 overs, you have a reason to call and see the turn, but it turns out to be a waste of chips. More often then not, this will be the case, and I don't see too many flops where AQ hits super hard, on which CO can lose most of his money to make this profitable. Either raise pre, or fold flop. THe way it was played, easy fold.

3rd hand, I think is also fine. There are a lot of missed draws, like FD, maybe sometimes BB goes tricky and calls flop with 89, picks up another draw that missed on the river. Not many Ax hands he can have can beat us, so call is in order.
However, I have to point out that in micro stakes, river donk bets and raises are 9/10 times for value, not bluffs. That is something to take into consideration regarding the stakes and the buy in.

4th hand - I believe that c-bet is mandatory. Short stack in the BB, huge chance he missed completely, if you check back, you give him a free card to hit 6-outter or something. That being said, when BB leads, it seems 9 hit him. And that is understandable considering that defending range should be fairly wide.
Calling the turn is also mandatory cause of the size of V's bet and the odds we are getting. Shoving river is not what I like, question is, what do we get a call from that we beat? I'd say that all better hands call, all worse fold. So it's risky to raise here to win the same you would with a call.
Also, would like to know, what is river decision if river is 8- where BB bets min like he did here?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
First hand:
I probably would have played the same way until the river but hesitated between call and fold.

Second:
Agree, fold.

Third:
Call or fold - not really sure what I would do.

Fourth:
Call or shove - I might be too cautious but I would have only called.

Nope, didn't reach the level of Certified River Expert, maybe I'm just certifiable. :dancing2:

Last edited:
zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im doing this in real time wile i watch the video
1-AQo Rais
2-AQo Fold
3-AJo Call
4-AQs Call

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
2/4 for me.

I caught the 2 hand (Fold) and the 4th (Raise-allin). I missed the 1st and 3d. The first is a bit strange. This 33% donk bet is weird. If he wanted to push us out of the hand, why not >=50% or 2/3 of the pot?

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good tutorial especially for the beginners. Here is my thoughts on the quiz:
1. In this situation I would probably fold, because even pair of 3's of the opponent could kick me off.
2. Fold, its clear hear
3. I would call also and lose :) Sometimes its really hard to predict that the someone got three of a kind
4. Raise but the opponent would bet lets say 500 then I would probably fold like the previous hand

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker