Reasons To Play Heads-Up (SNG) Poker Instead Of Other Game Types?

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played mostly cash games and regular sit and go's. They are not going very well at this moment and I lost my confidence and motivation.

I started to think about what's the problem, and it is that they are too complex. There are hundreds of things to remember - how to beat different kinds of player types, position, odds etc.

Too many things to consider at the same time and I get burn-out easily because of this information overload.

I realized if I want to be comfortable playing poker, I have to choose a game type that fits for me. I am a simple guy, so let's choose the simplest game type, and it is, of course, one player versus one player sit and go aka Heads-Up poker.

There are many pro's that says Heads-Up is the best game type (including superstar Doug Polk who is one of my favorite poker players), I ignored that earlier. But a few days ago I started to think about why so many pro's like this game format? I got a few reasons, and I want you to tell me your opinion on why to play Heads-Up poker instead of playing other game types?

Here are some of my thoughts:

- easiest to learn (not so many concepts to handle like position, early/middle/late stage, final table etc)
- a good way to learn how to play against different kind of player types
- you can play a lot of hands faster than usual (key element for learning)
- more exciting (not so much waiting)
- psychological (I am a psychological guy and I get an edge by using that skill, but only for regular tournaments, I am not that good at spin and go' and turbo tournaments where I have to use more math)
- you can learn how to bluff (includes a lot of bluffing)

And probably the most important thing for me is that they are very easy to track. My goal is to make 500€ per month by playing heads-ups, so only I need to do is to play maybe 100 tournaments as a test, and then check how many tournaments I have won and just play enough HU's per day for my goal.

So, let's share your thoughts about this topic and tell me about your experience with heads up poker (only sit and go's, no cash games). Cheers.

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up tourneys are indeed less complicated and more solved but the edges are thin and become razor thin at the nosebleeds (winrates are in the low 50% range for winning players). I wouldn't necessarily say that bluffing is a huge comment particularly in fast structured HU since push and fold ranges are well known/utilized rather than bluffs or balance considerations you'd see in deeper stacked games.

I would say it's nice to practice them and to review push/fold charts as they could help you with your HU game for MTTs and multiway SNGs but HU SNGs as a game structure is fairly dead and not as lucrative as it was years ago.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you may want to play 9 player tournaments. I find it better because of the quality of the players and it is like being at the final table. For me any tournament 36 players or less is good, or cash games.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNG's are a great way to start poker, cause it gives the player a lot of notion of how to play a hand without committing the whole stack, and if it happens, there's no problem cause SNG's are low buy-ins tournaments and it's easier to get to the final table

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally find it easiest to select them and it’s best not to play turbo. and play slow tournaments. this is my opinionaggression is an important component of HU SNG. A player who manages to become a chip leader will gain an advantage at the start of the game. This is not only a practical advantage in that he can win the tournament at any given time, but also a psychological one, which puts pressure on the opposition. Players should raise in most cases from the button and deliver with an extended bet on boards with a good texture. A 3-bet bluff will work against specific tight-aggressive opponents. Against typical players with a short stack, who are rather passive, it is necessary to play aggressively, but having encountered resistance, continue only with strong hands.Flop bluffing should be kept to a minimum. Most players do not fold on the turn / river; instead, you need to value bet and win as much as possible in the event of a combination. Do not be afraid to make an overbet with medium and strong hands in order to quickly finish the tournament.However, as in all types of poker, the ability to read the opposing trends will make up the difference between a winning and a loose player. If your opp is a loose player who calls a lot of weak hands, you need to expand your range and give up bluffing. If you play against a hyper-aggressive player, you need to slow-play with some hands to get maximum value. Remember that no matter the format, poker remains poker. The same basic approaches that helped you beat microlimits will come in handy here.I also advise you to open 80% of the hands from the button and 3bet 14-20%good luck my friend!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont like heads up. Having to go in every hand, when I got no face cards is a killer.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally, one on one game is the most difficult form of poker! I play tournaments on the 100 200 people! Quite well but I often lost in heads up play! I decided to pull something like that and started playing tournaments Head hap at the micros! And it was very difficult but now in MTT getting to play one on one feel confident!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say it's nice to practice them and to review push/fold charts as they could help you with your HU game for MTTs and multiway SNGs but HU SNGs as a game structure is fairly dead and not as lucrative as it was years ago.

To a large extend heads-up SnGs has been replaced by Spin n Gos, which are usually 3-ways. From the point of view of poker sites heads-up SnGs are problematic, because they are a bum-hunters heaven, so off all game formats they give new players the least chance of success.

The shark basically sit down at an empty table, all the other sharks notice this, so only when a fish wants to play, does the game begin. This mean, its always shark vs. fish, which is good for the sharks but bad for the fish and therefore in the long run also for poker sites, since the fish get eaten alive and stop playing.

Spins solve this problem, because seating is random, and the lottery element also appeal more to recreational players. I would not be surpriced, if poker sites eventually simply removed heads-up SnGs from their lobby, but for the meantime they seem to just let them die a slow death from above.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The shark basically sit down at an empty table, all the other sharks notice this, so only when a fish wants to play, does the game begin. This mean, its always shark vs. fish, which is good for the sharks but bad for the fish and therefore in the long run also for poker sites, since the fish get eaten alive and stop playing.

Many sites have removed this problem by making tables unknown

A

acenit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hu s n g are a huge grind, but some people have made their living off them

Top 10 Games