Raising Preflop with pockets lower then 10 10

Tillersizuniversal

Tillersizuniversal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes struggle deciding if I should raise preflop with low pocket pairs.....Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't and when I do.....when called and big cards are on the board.....now I gotta decide weather to bet or not......often checking leads to opponent betting......I know position matters before all this occurs as well, However, in general when this situation happens I'm wondering if checking to them....them betting and then maybe me raising ? I haven't attempted this and wondering what everyone's opinion is on this situation of it it's a situation I should eliminate all together! Help please =D

A

amitmanchanda

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are in tournament and short stack, better to go all in. If you are in last 4-5 players, better to go all in if you are in late position. Raising preflop on table of 9 with more than 3-4 players in pot is risky as most likely someone will pair with board.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if im on the button with a small pair and just the blinds left its all in baby!!!

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You almost always have to open an un-opened pot with a pocket pair(even if it be a min raise). Def don't limp...either raise or fold. If the pot has been opened, just flat with smaller pairs and set-mine. If the flop isn't in your favor, get outta there;)

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You almost always have to open an un-opened pot with a pocket pair(even if it be a min raise). Def don't limp...either raise or fold. If the pot has been opened, just flat with smaller pairs and set-mine. If the flop isn't in your favor, get outta there;)

Agreed with set-mining and getting out if missed.....its always great to hit a small set on the flop because you know you are getting paid by the preflop raiser (if it was not you):D:D:D

A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on a number of factors, here are some factors you should take into consideration (Only for tournaments):
1. Stage of the tournament
2. Stack size
3. Number of opponents to act behind
4. Flop strategy

Set-mining is a fancy term, especially in a tournament.

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Onoy re-raise in that situation if you have a read that your opponent missed, or hit with low/middle pair.

If they are confident in their hand and they are ahead, there goes your chips.

BionicApe

BionicApe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generate Action

In my experience in the micros, the primary result of showing-down a small or medium pair raised from early position is a surplus of action.

People make snap decisions about your range based on very limited data in tournaments and they will generally maintain that perception until they have reason to believe otherwise.

The big problem isn't so much the action you generate, which is, of course, not what you want if you're trying to steal blinds, but the fact that you will find yourself playing out of position more often than is generally desirable.

If you have a very strong post-flop game then this is less of an issue, but for a scrub like me, it can be kind of a nightmare. It's great when it works out and you follow-up with premiums that connect, but when your premiums don't connect it can rapidly get awkward and frustrating. Also, more competent players can absolutely demolish you with floats. The check-call-whiff-check-fold line is complete crap, I tell ya. (Right up there with Cbet-whiff-check-fold).

I think raising the occasional small pair from early position is pretty much mandatory, but how that hand is revealed will have consequences to which you need to adapt. The same can be said for limping.

Last edited:
Mini1380

Mini1380

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like small pocket pairs but if u look at pocket 88 vs ak it stands a good chance