Raise sizing when very deep stacked in MTTs?

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've been playing a few MTTs recently where you start very deep stacked with like 150+ bbs and I'm wondering how big I should be raising when I'm first in. It's not uncommon for several people at the table to still have around 100 bb stacks an hour in. I've been raising to 4-6 bbs but I'm not sure if this is appropriate especially since it seems like lots of people in these micro stakes tournaments will call pretty wide just cause they're so deep stacked and they want to see a flop, ending up with like half the table going to the flop doesn't seem uncommon. Thoughts?

SecksyGambler

SecksyGambler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given your description, I think it would be wise if you bet closer to 6-8 blinds. the goal is to be in 2-3 person pots where (hopefully) you have the best hand. This way you still have fold equity and the potential the bluff (though I can't recommend bluffing in micro stakes).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I typically use 3BB with deep stacks in tournaments, pretty much like in cash games. Larger sizes can have merit, if the table is very soft with players calling much to wide. You just need to be aware, that a larger size should also mean a tighter range, so you will be playing less hands, if you use these very big sizes. You dont want to raise to 5BB from UTG with 66 and then get 4 callers or get 3-bet.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on how much BBs I have, when I have for example 50BB, I will more likely bet 3Bets, also with C-betting.
When I have round 25BB, will do 2Bets and lower then 15BB is shove/fold.

For me betting is looking at the situation, how wet is the board. Can I hit something or what is the potential winning.

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often just shove very strong hands in the early games on microstakes :) It gets some calls, and some folds.

Z

Zeke67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Micro stakes...

First of all, in micro stakes you will have people playing with a much wider range of hands. With that in mind you will need to increase the size of your bets. Especially in those tournaments with a starting stack over 50 big blinds. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Stay Safe

Z

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really can't see why you would want to open 4-6x. Just doesn't make sense. With the blinds 4k/8k would you open 4-6x?

Your bets should be in line with what is in the pot. The idea is to bet as little as possible and take the pot. It's also to build value for your hand if you get called. Additionally it shows strength and opens up bluffs.

I get a bigger bet could thin calls, but early when there is no antes and not much money out there you are putting yourself in a spot that i can fold or play a really big pot. Kind of small wins, large losses thing.

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In deepstack tournaments where my stack is still deep 100bb+ I would typically raise 3bb (+1bb for each limper) when in position. If OOP and I would raise higher to look to get more folds and reduce the number players should we go to a flop. Depends to some extent on the players at the table but OOP would raise btw 4-6bb.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was the speed of the tournament. If the stacks are deep you should take your time. Play good hands and better first. Raise sizes and how to play in a deep-stack tournament read john little.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just need to watch the table and see how often players go to the flop. Sometimes you just need to make a 2.5-3 bet and you take the blinds or isolate the hand for one or two opponents. But if others want to watch the flop, they don't care how much you bet on the preflop. Big bets will gradually ruin you when you are pushed against.