Raise or Fold the SB in late & middle stages

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always wondered should you ever just call in the SB in late & middle stages of the tourney?? I know that it depends on your opp if they're super aggro or short stack but is it right to limp?? I'm asking because I've been having some trouble thank you again

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I will call if they are decent suited connected cards but fold all the other junk hands as long as the call is not to big compared to my stack size. If the math says its to much to call its an easy fold even then.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will call if they are decent suited connected cards but fold all the other junk hands as long as the call is not to big compared to my stack size. If the math says its to much to call its an easy fold even then.
Thank you for your 5 cents suited connectors is a good point but i think i will still 2.5x it at times and maybe even ship it all in with suited connectors if i have a short stack thank you again

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also look at thier fold to steal stat. If it's high I'm more to open wide. If they dont fold often, I will limp with the hands I dont want to get raised off of, and open the best of the best, and the crap of the crap....

Now sizing has a lot to do with this too. If the BBs for both stacks are low, say around 15-20 I will naturally become tighter with my selection....

At the end of the day it's very sercumsatancal with meny diffrent variables....

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also look at thier fold to steal stat. If it's high I'm more to open wide. If they dont fold often, I will limp with the hands I dont want to get raised off of, and open the best of the best, and the crap of the crap....

Now sizing has a lot to do with this too. If the BBs for both stacks are low, say around 15-20 I will naturally become tighter with my selection....

At the end of the day it's very sercumsatancal with meny diffrent variables....
But if their stack is low like you're would you expect to call an all in wouldn't you go after the blinds since they don't want to bust

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if their stack is low like you're would you expect to call an all in wouldn't you go after the blinds since they don't want to bust
Yes, with the top of your range depending on ICM, and stack ratio.... but you are more inclined to call a jam from BB after we open based off SPR, since it takes less equity to make the call after the pot is already bloated.... that's why we are tighter as the stacks get smaller.... just cause we are tighter doesnt mean we dont use a "limp lead" with the middling of our range...

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, with the top of your range depending on ICM, and stack ratio.... but you are more inclined to call a jam from BB after we open based off SPR, since it takes less equity to make the call after the pot is already bloated.... that's why we are tighter as the stacks get smaller.... just cause we are tighter doesnt mean we dont use a "limp lead" with the middling of our range...
Post flop is another animal in itself but how often will the villian have a hand they can call with??

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there's no raising action I might call. If the BB is known to go over the top I will be very cautious and only play to trap. After that it all depends on the what you consider to be the relative strength of the hand. I know you're getting in for 1/2 price, but you don't have to buy every bargain, based on my experience. Good luck.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there's no raising action I might call. If the BB is known to go over the top I will be very cautious and only play to trap. After that it all depends on the what you consider to be the relative strength of the hand. I know you're getting in for 1/2 price, but you don't have to buy every bargain, based on my experience. Good luck.
I normally got to thinking this because I've gotten to play alot of micro stakes tourneys i always make it far haven't cashed in top 3 yet but I've made a couple FT and made the money alot so I'm in this situation more often than not

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always wondered should you ever just call in the SB in late & middle stages of the tourney?? I know that it depends on your opp if they're super aggro or short stack but is it right to limp?? I'm asking because I've been having some trouble thank you again

The small blind is one of the positions that its usually fine to call. This is especially true if the big blind has any incentive to check to see the flop. If the whole table is 3-betting, 4 betting, then no, even more so if the big blind is very aggressive preflop. Before the all-in or fold scenario it should be find to call in many situations. Be careful of calling after a raise though, better to 3 bet that to get in. One strategy you don't wanna do is to raise with top pairs, but call with low pairs and connectors. If anyone figures out you have a polarized situation, they will play smartly against you. If you are going to split some of your hands into calls and others into raises it is better to put some nut hands into calls and some bluffs into raises just to keep your hand invisible. For example if you will raise QQ, maybe just call with AA. Likewise if you will call with JTs, maybe raise 97s. If a pattern is too likely to be observed, then it is better to just call in the SB until you have to go all-in or fold. For most tourneys this could be the final table or the final 2-3 tables. It really depends on the other player behaviours. It is generally better to always do the same thing preflop since this keeps your hand invisible, but if you can get away with a raise/call range it is more profitable to do that, but you have to disguise what you are doing.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Virtually no long-term player wins in SB. This is explained by the fact that whatever our hand, we always pay 1/2 Blind in SB and as we are in addition out of position, we will more often play tight and folder, losing our blinds already wagered. we must lose two times less in SB than in BB. So basically, we must lose max 15bb / 100 in SB and 30bb / 100 in BB, but the most essential is to lose less than 45bb / 100 on these two positions.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Virtually no long-term player wins in SB. This is explained by the fact that whatever our hand, we always pay 1/2 Blind in SB and as we are in addition out of position, we will more often play tight and folder, losing our blinds already wagered. we must lose two times less in SB than in BB. So basically, we must lose max 15bb / 100 in SB and 30bb / 100 in BB, but the most essential is to lose less than 45bb / 100 on these two positions.
Really detailed if i ever make it anywhere it's because of the community much appreciated

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have left out a lot of information in your question but even if you had put in lots of detail it would still be difficult for others to advise you. I say that because I believe the 2 most important questions you have to ask yourself are: 1) How do the players at my table perceive my play up to now and what will they most likely think about my calling in the SB? and 2) After the flop I am first to act so what is my plan?

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have left out a lot of information in your question but even if you had put in lots of detail it would still be difficult for others to advise you. I say that because I believe the 2 most important questions you have to ask yourself are: 1) How do the players at my table perceive my play up to now and what will they most likely think about my calling in the SB? and 2) After the flop I am first to act so what is my plan?
Hmm..great questions I'm either known as the loosest player or the tightest and based on that most of the time i will always cbet the flop

Folding in Poker