Rabbitting out to a big chip lead and then...

betty the rake

betty the rake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I just busted out after blowing a big chip lead. It is so hard to shift gears when you are busting people out and catching cards in aggressive mode to stack saver mode....ideas?:confused:

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This can be called winners tilt - you go on a roll either playing well or hitting cards and the you spill yuour big stack off thinking you can’t lose. Learn to control your emotions be them good or bad. Regular meditation helps me to identify my emotions and keep them under control at the table.

betty the rake

betty the rake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the feedback very interesting and timely advice

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This can be called winners tilt - you go on a roll either playing well or hitting cards and the you spill yuour big stack off thinking you can’t lose. Learn to control your emotions be them good or bad. Regular meditation helps me to identify my emotions and keep them under control at the table.

What an awesome suggestion, I really resonate with your reply to this question. I also have a meditative practice and I've found that being mindful about emotions/motivations/etc. in-game has helped me to curb tilts like this. My greatest weakness is "rival syndrome". If I take a bad beat off of someone, especially if it's a suck out type of situation, I find myself feeling more inclined to get in the hand if they're in it too, even with less than desirable hands. This is in an effort to win chips off of them in particular. I cannot think of a time that mindset really worked out for me, so I try to be extra mindful of where my impetus to play a hand comes from.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One thing you should also remember, the cards have no memory. Just because you are wining a lot of hands early and hitting the board well things will balance out sooner than later. If you start to play more hands that you usually would you will eventually lose to bigger hands or just plain start missing. Look at the tournaments you play and how many times do you see a chip leader early on with the monster stack 2 to3 times the 2nd biggest stack? Check just before the money bubble and you will see they are long gone by that point. There luck runs out. Next time you get on a roll and feel like opening it up some more try to tighten us just for a while. You will love the results.

As for meditation, I actually meditate before and after every tournament I play now and listed to meditation music as I play. I started this a little over a year ago and it has worked wonders for my. I am playing smarter thinking poker and my attitude and results have improved. I highly recommend it.

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I just busted out after blowing a big chip lead. It is so hard to shift gears when you are busting people out and catching cards in aggressive mode to stack saver mode....ideas?:confused:

Play longer in a position, explore more vulnerable and do not get involved with these crazy unless you're nuts or top card pre flop (99+, AK, AQ, AJ, ATs) and after the flop play according to pre the board texture, and of course be aware of all his plays so you can make good notes, because when he make the same move that is quite possible that will do, you can prepare a good trap for him. glglglgl bro.

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for meditation, I actually meditate before and after every tournament I play now and listed to meditation music as I play. I started this a little over a year ago and it has worked wonders for my. I am playing smarter thinking poker and my attitude and results have improved. I highly recommend it.

Seconds to this! The background sounds and environment have a significant influence on my mindset and ability to think clearly. I'm also finding it really cool that other poker players value meditation in their game. I think at face value, some might find those two interests oddly-matched rather than well-suited.