BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would like to make correct push/fold tables for all possible cases. It is clear that this is impossible for a generalized table, but i think that it is possible to create approximately the correct one.

I suppose that you can break all the cases into about 6:
1.) We are very far from the bubble.
2.) The bubble is relatively close, but our stack doesn't allow us to get to it.
3.) The bubble is close, and the stack is such that you won’t understand if you pass or not ))
4.) The bubble is close and we will almost certainly get to it, but with a short stack.
5.) The bubble is close and we'll reach it with a medium to large stack (if it's still a shove/fold).
6.) The bubble has passed.

Perhaps the 1st, 2nd and 3rd cases can be combined into one and averaged.
That is, we consider that there are only 4 cases (conditional): 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th. And we consider the payout structure to be standard without any special jumps in payouts. In general, for ordinary tournaments (not knockouts and not turbines) with a structure of levels 10 minutes each and about 15% itm.

So we should get 4 tables of 16 matrices (4 by 4) for different positions with an indication in each matrix with which stack to start pushing all hands. Below is a diagram of each of the 4 such tables.

Here is a screenshot with explanations:

Above is a calculation of the Nash balance for push/fold in 10BB stacks for a BB vs SB game.

Below is data taken from an article from one of the poker schools for the same positions, but for stacks of different sizes. With a stack of 10BB from the position of the SB, we push the entire range (all colors, i.e. in fact for the SB there all cells should be green with a stack of 13BB and lower, as indicated in the bottom line of the matrix; this is just for convenience so as not to there was an extra 17th matrix). And from the position of BB we call push from SB on the spectrum, which is represented only by green and blue cells.

And at the very bottom, a diagram of all possible spots is shown, on which the circled 2 cells just represent 2 spots in the form of matrices in the middle of the screenshot.

---------------

So, according to the article from the school, you can definitely make the whole scheme from 16 matrices for all these spots. But from the article it is not very clear for which of the 4 tournament situations that i wrote about above, this table will be most applicable. That is, if we compare the top table from the icm calculator with the second one from the article, then it turns out that we have a huge "reserve" or "icm penalty" here. In the article from which i took tables with icm, it was written that already with numbers 0.20+ it is very profitable to push, because. this gives a big winrate (20+BB/100)
Hand K9o gives 189BB/100!!!, but for some reason it was rejected
when compiling the table in the article. Well, a bunch of other profitable hands were "cut off".

It is clear that the article was mainly aimed at beginners, so that they play more accurately, and therefore such a large "reserve" ("icm penalty") was taken.

But still, i want to squeeze more EV out of all situations and play more correctly, and not just tight...

----------------

Is it correct to shove and call wide like in the icm tables (all cells are bright green) in cases when the bubble is far away or when the bubble is close, but our stack does not allow us to hope to hit itm? Or do you still need a "reserve"?

And with a large effective stack, but which is already only suitable for pushing/folding, you may need to play even tighter than according to the table from the middle of the screenshot. Right or not?

And perhaps for the game after the bubble, you also need to make a separate chart for push/fold. Should this chart be even tighter at the final table, or vice versa? It is clear that the chip leader can put pressure on everyone, but probably not as loose as on the bubble.

In general, i would like to hear more opinions and theories on this matter.

Last edited:
BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many flaws in trying this and players would be robbing themselves of developing their game so much that all I can say is do it if it works for you.

There would be a lot of situations where they would commit themselves in bad spots because they don't understand positional or situational poker and they're blindly following a chart that they don't understand WHY they should go with those hands besides saying the "chart told me so" or "I'm down to a certain amount of BBs".

They would also be robbing themselves of learning how to play low stacked or "chip and a chair poker" that is a critical skill as well.

So yeah, go with it and you might have some success with it but at best I would say folks would win a tourn here and there but be a losing player overall with a low late position finish rate.

I'm curious how folks do with this stuff. I've seen a lot of these charts recently so curious to see how folks do with them and if they're happy with them.

But again, if it works for you then go with it. At least its a strategy and if you try it and get something out of it and it makes you think about the game then that's still better then blindly playing without a game plan.

GL

Last edited:
BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There would be a lot of situations where they would commit themselves in bad spots because they don't understand positional or situational poker and they're blindly following a chart that they don't understand WHY they should go with those hands besides saying the "chart told me so" or "I'm down to a certain amount of BBs".
What do you propose to do? How to learn?

Let's say i calculated the spot for BB in the icm calculator for stack of 10BB (exactly what is at the top of the screenshot). Then i practiced on various hands with a stack of 10BB to memorize these numbers. But what will these numbers tell me by themselves in the various stages of the tournament?

The icm model does not take into account a lot of things and gives such advice as if the tournament ended after the current hand.

Maybe you mean that need to training in some more advanced programs, and not just work with the icm calculator to learn how to play in a variety of spots?

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I exit tourney once I am eliminated. Move on to the next one or if it is late, I call it A night
Really lost right now, no ACR,BCP Everygame or BOL tourneys guess I will be shutting it down on a regular basis

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It is clear that there are a lot of situations with very different stacks. But we, after all, are guided by the "effective stack", and this should somewhat simplify the compilation of these charts in terms of some kind of averaging.

In this case, we will not get the maximum possible EV, but there should not be any big errors either.

Even if you play at any stage of the tournament on such a nit chart as in the middle of the screenshot, then this will already be a pretty solid game.

But i believe that it is possible to create more correct charts for those typical situations that i have described. Those that will give more EV and fewer errors.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My game is always the same, no matter where I am or how far I am from the bubble, when I sit at a table, my goal is to make the most of my strong hands or the mistakes of my opponents, when one focuses on the solid and most profitable way to play does not care much about the blinds. When the blinds in my pot are less than 20BB, my game is more closed, choosing carefully which hands to play, when the pot is less than 12BB, it is waiting for the strong hand to go all in.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to make correct push/fold tables for all possible cases. It is clear that this is impossible for a generalized table, but i think that it is possible to create approximately the correct one.

In general, i would like to hear more opinions and theories on this matter.

Have you seen or looked at Jennifears MTT Push/Fold chart?
note that there are tabs on the bottom of the workbook (or whatever google calls it) there are tabs for various ante levels,
Push/Fold

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Have you seen or looked at Jennifears MTT Push/Fold chart?
note that there are tabs on the bottom of the workbook (or whatever google calls it) there are tabs for various ante levels,
Push/Fold
I have 3 similar charts from some pro player. Here is one of them for playing without ante:

Similar to those charts you linked, but there are significant differences in some spots. I wonder where is the best...

Also, these are only "first-in" charts, and there are no charts for spots position vs position.

As far as i understand, "icm penalties" are used mainly when playing on the bubble and at the final table, when we need to play very carefully and push on narrower ranges. Right?

I would also like to find an online calculator that would give the same tables as a program like icmizer (as i have at the top of the screenshot from the first message). Then it would be possible to enter the spectra there from the site that you gave or from my second screenshot so that you can make charts for a positional game.
Can someone suggest such a site?

Last edited:
hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've already tried to use the calculator in my moves, it happens that sometimes I end up getting in the way, losing concentration and making a hasty or wrong move.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I've already tried to use the calculator in my moves, it happens that sometimes I end up getting in the way, losing concentration and making a hasty or wrong move.

And charts could make things easier...

---------------

By averaging i mean analyzing several different situations with very different stacks from players in different positions, and then getting the average icm values, based on which we already create charts. For example, we have a 10BB stack in middle position, and our opponent shoves from early position. Our effective stacks are known. But the stacks of players in later positions will always be of different sizes and the icm numbers will be correspondingly different. We can take about 10 typical situations and average them for each spot.

There will be some errors for some spots, but most likely there will be no big errors when playing with such charts. But there is no certainty...

Last edited:
Folding in Poker