Pocket KK

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mid way through a tournament dealt pocket KK in the BB. One player, who has me covered, goes all in. What is the play here? Call or fold?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You will need to provide more information on the hand in order to get a better response.

Your stack size in terms of number of big blinds is important here. If you had 3 BB remaining then your decisions/thought process would be much different than if you had 200 BB.

Any reads on the villain are also important, if you're up against somebody who has been shoving every other hand then that's a different scenario than against somebody who hasn't played a hand at all in the last 30 minutes.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Undoubtedly, you need to take into account all the factors to make the right decision, many people understand this, think about it, and then still press the call.:)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Mid way through a tournament dealt pocket KK in the BB. One player, who has me covered, goes all in. What is the play here? Call or fold?

In order to provide a meaningful answer, I need to know a lot of additional data. For example, the size of your stack, the stack size of your opponent, the tournament format, and so on. But in general, in short, I choose all-in.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Boils down to what is the villain like or do you have their stats. It would take a perfect storm to get me to fold KK here. The player would have to be extremely tight or incredibly weak and passive for me to even consider folding much less actually do it. The only time I would really recommend folding here is deep in a satellite where your seat is basically locked up or if the villain is running something like 4/2. Otherwise this is a pretty easy call and you will be ahead way more than you will be behind especially against non super tight players.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hold your nose and call - got to play it. Although KK has magnetic properties that draws aces to the top of the deck.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against just 1 guy, easy call, unless of coarse stacks are huge and your near the money, some other factors may change the decision but it’s a good call

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always calling here. If they have aces they have aces. If they have an ace and they hit it then I'm out. I'm still calling.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since it was "midway" in the tournament, stacks were almost certainly not that deep, and then KK is just never a fold preflop. If the guy was making an oversized open shove like say 30BB, I will even discount AA a lot, since most players will understand, that they are missing out on value by playing AA like this. Instead I will expect him to have a middling pocket pair or a hand like AK/AQ most of the time, and then calling with KK is literally printing money.

And even if he has AA, it does not matter at all. If he had made a normal open to say 2,5BB, then you would have 3-bet, he would have 4-bet jammed, you would have called, and the result would have been just the same. Unless stacks are insanely deep, AA vs. KK is just one of the most boring coolers in poker, and the guy with KK always goes broke. Unless of course he manage to crack the aces :D

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold kings in any situations, people over think too much and try to play some sort of ideal poker when in reality 1 out if 10 times kings are folded ti aces and 9 out of 10 to so crazy bet with 88 or A10 or even someone making a move with a trash hand. And there you folding kings and thinking how good of a player you are and then some other dude calls the raise and you see ace rag and pocket 44s, and you could stack them both...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never fold kings in any situations, people over think too much and try to play some sort of ideal poker when in reality 1 out if 10 times kings are folded ti aces and 9 out of 10 to so crazy bet with 88 or A10 or even someone making a move with a trash hand. And there you folding kings and thinking how good of a player you are and then some other dude calls the raise and you see ace rag and pocket 44s, and you could stack them both...

Exactly. A lot of people are obsessed by these kind of situations, where their opponent have the nuts, and maybe they should have folded the second nuts. But more often that not our opponents dont have the nuts, and making super nitty folds is not the way to long term success in poker :)

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The day I fold Pocket kings preflop is the day I would quit as my brain must have turned to mush and I've forgotten all maths, unless its on the bubble you can't be afraid that somebody has the one hand that can beat you or will get lucky, the odds are in your favor and over the long run folding this is basically a disaster.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to grab my nutz, with both hands if necessary, and make the call. The only hand that's ahead of you in this spot is aces, and if he's got 'em, then he's just got 'em. If you're me, then he's probably got 'em. If he doesn't have them, he's got A-Rag, and he's going to make 'em. That is, unless of course he's got something like pocket threes. In which case he'll make a set. Or he's got 3-8 off and will make a ten high straight. Regardless, I'm just not folding kings.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It depends on how many chips you and the other player have and it also depends on what reading you have of that player, and depending on think well if it is worth the risk, and I say risk because the fact that you have KK does not mean that you are going to win the play, I would probably follow my instincts as usual, but it all depends on the reading I have of the other player

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly. A lot of people are obsessed by these kind of situations, where their opponent have the nuts, and maybe they should have folded the second nuts. But more often that not our opponents dont have the nuts, and making super nitty folds is not the way to long term success in poker :)
My friend had this exact moment yesterday. He was playing micro(2$ stacks) and after small bet of 0.12$ he raised to 0.4$ and the guy after him reraised to 1$. I was watching him play and my friend was afraid and was talking himself into folding kings, I encouraged him to go all in which he did. His opponent waited 30 seconds before calling and turned over J10 LOL and he got stacked. Apparently this watched too much of high stakes poker and was ready to make fancy moves at 0.01$/0.02$ :D

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless the opponent is very tight, there is no choice but to call.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are very, very, very few situations where you'd fold KK pre-flop facing an all-in at tournament.

Sling it in there, you are ahead of every hand but AA, and you can't really throw away equity like that without a really darn good reason.

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi

Hi friend, I'm going with all of them, they are a pretty strong pre-flop hand, throwing the cards is something very complicated when it comes to an initial hand like that

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very important, what is the size of your opponent's stack. If, after all-in, you have a good pot to play, I think the risk is possible, but if you bet everything... What for? why? This is a lottery, the opponent can have any card and everything is possible on the table... This is not the best solution to get out of the game. Of course, if we are considering large freerolls (several thousand players) it's definitely all-in, but if it's a good tournament, or even if there are micro-limits, you pay money and after easy to get out... strange.. Do fold and don't worry, or if you fold with a good card, but the table is playing all-in preflop, don't look so as not to worry (about right your fold or not) and keep playing ;)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. First, do I want to continue play and wait for another good hand? Second, who has the largest bank (software elimination algorithm)? If I am ready to take that chance and have the larger bank and the person is a maniac, fish or is having a High VIP day, I become a wack-a-mole.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
In most situations, a call would probably be right. But in poker there are always so many factors in play and since you haven't provided any important info, you are on your own.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, it depends on what stack you two have, but in the middle of a tournament, look, I'm all-in too. everything on the table.:)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I will be behind only against a pocket pair of aces, in all other cases - "AK, AQ, AJ, QQ, JJ, 1010" I will be ahead !!! So you have to cross your fingers and hit the call)))

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Preflop with Kings, i will call everything in an MTT...If it is a Sat for a Ticket to win then u have to think about, if u are on the money[ticket]bubble, u should be able to fold that ;)