Pocket kings into aces

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the example you use above I think I'm calling, what do you think is correct? If I have less chips then I'd start leaning towards a fold depending on how short. :)

Against most opponents I would fold. I think, a lot of people are jamming to tight on the bubble, because they dont want to bust, and against a somewhat tight range KJo will not have amazing equity. In top of that for future playability losing another 11BB will hurt me more, than winning 13,5BB will help. So I prefer to pass on this spot, but I dont think, calling is a big mistake :)

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Against most opponents I would fold. I think, a lot of people are jamming to tight on the bubble, because they dont want to bust, and against a somewhat tight range KJo will not have amazing equity. In top of that for future playability losing another 11BB will hurt me more, than winning 13,5BB will help. So I prefer to pass on this spot, but I dont think, calling is a big mistake :)

That's a really interesting way to look at it, rather than what is the correct decision, what will the outcome be at this point in the tourney for how I can play.
Cheers

T

Turnermatt99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like this happens so often online. Almost makes you wanna fold them..

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure where i read this years ago but every 25 times you have pocket kings they said you will mathematically run into aces. Really not sure it is accurate but based on my experiences is may not be that far off,

S

serebec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People on here are playing way to scared, I don't know if its because overall you guys are not aggressive enough in general or if you all just play low stakes where everyone is relatively tight, If you are only opening monsters of course you are going to run into this spot.

You need to be opening somewhere around the GTO theory of about 16.5% of hands when folded to you in late position with a mid-deep stack otherwise you are just asking for trouble.

Lets start playing a little bit more looser and throw the chips around you'll be surprised how far you go.

Yes, aggressive play is often rewarded by poker rooms. Often a player who often plays small 9j or 10q cards catches straights and colors to the detriment of players who play very tightly only ak, aa or kk cards. Many players play very tight tournaments until their chips run out waiting for kk or aa!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes Aces and Kings meet. That the Kings lose to the Aces is much more unpleasant than the Aces lose to the Kings.
Overall, it’s not good to be on the losing side in either situation.

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A king divided into a hand is a pair of cards that cannot be discarded, even if sometimes the pair of aces takes it. In most cases, it will be a winner.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't happen often, but when it happens, it takes away your tournament life.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens. I never fold kings it's just a losing decision in the long run, especially at microstakes. There could be KK,QQ,JJ,1010, AK, AQ, AJ, + players making a move on you or trying to push you out of the pot. So my answer is NO... once I got kings it's no foldem holdem for me(preflop).

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always worry when I have pocket kings. Party Poker and Poker Stars give the opponent aces and always put an ace on the table.

Happens everywhere unfortunately, specially when the ace hits the table on the river.
I saw this many times in real table. After betting, and raising holding kings, and on the river.
what did come? Just an ace.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think everyone has run KK into AA - happens rarely but sure stands out in your mind for awhile. I can't remember last time someone ran their KK into my AA however, but I've certainly been on that side too. I think it is even more upsetting to play KK and get to a flop just fearing that an ace will show itself (and my memory says this happens every time...). Play the kings hard!

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have received pocket kings, then you can always be afraid of aces from your opponents. If you play heads-up, your opponent will get pocket aces only once out of 220 hands. But at a full-ring table against 8 opponents, the chances that someone will get aces against your pocket kings is 1 to 25. We play aggressively and think.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it common to be dealt pocket kings and run into pocket aces ? This has happened the last 3 times I’ve had pocket kings, busting out twice, although the other time flopped the king and doubled up too huge stack and final tabled the tournament

unfortunately it happens ... but you can still call yourself lucky. one win in three case is a good rate !

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Once I had kk and my opponent had AA and the flop was AK and then there was another K on the river and of course I was very happy about it. but you can just as easily lose time and time again. Another time I had AA and got my set on the flop but lost to 37.Certainly AA KK are very strong hands preflop, but whether that will still be the case after the flop is something you can never know beforehand. That is why it is important to keep the hand as correct as possibleCertainly AA KK are very strong hands preflop, but whether that will still be the case after the flop is something you can never know beforehand. The best thing you can do just play, you win, then you're happy you lose, you lose, well, it's poker. Next time you win

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA vs KK reminds me of a specific hand I played on cash game..

Third hand of the session on Button, I got KK and player in BB woke up with Aces. As per HUD, he was a loose spewy opponent.
Ended up losing a buyin on 3rd hand of the session. It is what it is, not much to analyze in such spots. He could have played AK, JJ+ in a similar way.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it common to be dealt pocket kings and run into pocket aces ? This has happened the last 3 times I’ve had pocket kings, busting out twice, although the other time flopped the king and doubled up too huge stack and final tabled the tournament

Extremely common. PP vs PP happens all of the time. The small and medium PP tend to fold on earlier streets because they are set mining, or fear an overcard, so you often only see them when a board was safe or they hit a set. AA and KK are frequently an overpair to the board and usually won't fold even if they might be beat. AA figures it is only beat by two pair+, and KK figures it is only beat by AA+, so they both optimistically make it to the river hoping they are up against a stubborn TPTK or a worse PP.

And of course preflop they are the two best hands, and expect to get called by worse PP and AK so they are often all in preflop against each other.

See the 'Gordon Pair Principle' - odds of a higher PP being dealt to one of the remaining players when you have a PP and are first in the pot.

https://poker.stackexchange.com/que...-probability-of-opponent-having-a-pocket-pair

Last edited:
R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have stopped thinking about this situations. The hand plays itself and there is no value pondering over the situation.

Other day I lost with KK against 55 heads-up in a Sit n go. We both played the hand correctly and I lost.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
if You got less then 50 bb always calling pre flop with KK :)

J

jorik2006

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the standard situation(especially on GG). on the preflop, I try to disperse the bank as much as possible.a board without an ace is all in. but you can also get into trouble on the board without an ace

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I'm not sure.we need to look at the situation.

well i read a Daniels Negraneu book, POWER STRATEGY, and he wrote that always playing kings pre flop when got less then 50bb.

I think that Daniel is know what he is writing on it Mate.

7jules

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I'd got a £1 for every time I've gone in heavy on KK and walked straight into ace's. i can count on one finger the times I've won. like all hands, you must weight up all aspects at the time.....And then it's still pot luck!! ;)

Last edited:
Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You will come across this situation more often in the future and there is nothing you can do about it. Pocket kings is not foldable preflop in my opinion. When you run into aces you have to grudgingly accept that. If you have kings you don't block an ace and that someone has aces is a little more likely than if you hold AK, for example. With AK you block an ace and a king, which makes it less likely that you will run against aces or kings. You have a good chance of winning against any other hand. Because of this, AK can sometimes be more valuable than pocket kings.