Playing Tournaments with Rebuys

tonymaclennan

tonymaclennan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can anybody give any tips on playing a re-buy tournament at pokerstars?

Because last time I played one I didnt do so well because everybody goes super aggressive and super crazy.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There should be an article on this. I dont play on stars, but I play the $500 guarentee with $1 rebuys on bodog.

I have a basic strat: Im either doubling up early or Im rebuying early.

-Raise a lot of hands. I'll push with any pair and any A. I'll also call an all in with any face/ace card, any pair, and any connectors. Just play really loose. Hopefully your opponents are playing tight and you can just keep stealing blinds and pots from them. *

-If I double up or better. I slow it down and stop playing loose, but I'll continue to attack the tight players.

-If I rebuy, then I can slow it down as well because I'll have a slight chip advantage. The reason being is because usually in rebuy tournies, when you rebuy you'll get more chips than you started with. On Bodog, you start off with 1000, but when you rebuy you get 1500. its not exactly a double up, but you have a healthy stack now. And you can keep attacking at the tight players.

-*If you manage to build up your stack to what you will get if you rebuy, I dont see a reason for the 'double up early or rebuy' strategy anymore. Again, I would slow it down and a bit and just attack the tight players.

-I usually like to rebuy only once during these tournaments, but there is an exception. If im a severe short stack and that table is about to go on break. I'll try and lose that stack so I can rebuy and then sit tight until the add on. By this time (on bodog) the blinds will be at 50/100 and I'll have ~3500 stack. its not great, but I can work with it.

-take advantage of the add-on option.

Keep in mind, this is for a $1.00 rebuy. I would play as loose and/or as stupid if it were a $5+ rebuy game.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like the $1 re-buys but you have to be expecting to put in $5 - $10 and play like an idiot at the beginning.

The person above me is playing the same style as me, call as many all-ins as you can if you have ANY and I mean ANY advantage pre-flop and try to luck out, you lose then re-buy and repeat.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like the $1 re-buys but you have to be expecting to put in $5 - $10 and play like an idiot at the beginning.

The person above me is playing the same style as me, call as many all-ins as you can if you have ANY and I mean ANY advantage pre-flop and try to luck out, you lose then re-buy and repeat.

Now thats poker at its best.

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now thats poker at its best.

Well, at a $1 buy-in rebuy tournament, I'm risking $5 or so to get into a huge lead early on. It might not be truly good poker, but it works.

I've only played a rebuy tournament 1 time and it was a long time ago.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today might be another good day to give it another shot. 7-7-7

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost my bankroll (had only $80) on FullTilt few days ago when I posted my super bad day....

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Not exactly like you. I dont rebuy constantly. I mentioned that I only rebuy once-twice under a certain situation. And I add on. So, Im only spending $2-$3 in this tournament.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there really shouldnt be a set amount you limit yourself to in rebuys. You should rebuy as much as needed, now if you are running bad that is one thing but if you are getting in tough spots then why not rebuy again. Of course if you lose like 5 coinflips in a row you migh concider just dropping out saying ok this isnt my day.