Playing small pairs in the late stages of tournaments

S

Skripka Dmitriy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I want to see an opinion on your game with small pairs in al-in, at the late stage of the tournament. From whom position at the table would you never go to al-in?

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I want to see an opinion on your game with small pairs in al-in, at the late stage of the tournament. From whom position at the table would you never go to al-in?
First of all, for me, playing all-in preflop depends on my own stack or bankroll, but in general if I go from a late position

adoadoado76

adoadoado76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:)

usually in most cases if you have a small double on the table there will always be some more but in the initial phase of the tournament I think it's okay to play in the late phase of the tournament to play carefully I'm not an expert :cool:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what you go all in front of.If you have a stack higher than your opponent and you have a suitable nats on the board, then you can consider playing all-in.I don't consider small pairs for the all-in pot before the flop.if there are hits, you can try your luck).

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fun

I consider 2's-6's small pairs idk what you had in mind looking forward to that reply. Anyway i wont play them at all from UTG to Mid POS if i am short stacked 10 bb or smaller. Maybe once in a blue moon i will shove in those spots but it has to be with the magic Gut feeling lol/. Reason is almost anyone who calls you will have a Higher pocket pair or your at best Flipping for your tourney life. Now the Cutoff, Hijack, or Button IM ALL IN WITH TEN BB OR SMALLER NO MATTER WHAT. When you have a stack 11 bb or more then you can make your standard raise. Mine is usually 2.5 in late stages of the MTT. Utg i will make the 2.5 cause i like bet a lotta hands there cause it usually polarizes you in your opponents mind in that pos. And all other pos to button i make standard raise and call a lotta reraises. And the blinds i usually just call the raises or check. ill make the squeeze play but only when im confident itll get threw. reason for that is to try to hit a set and see if i can stack someone lol. With a stack of 20 bb or more i will raise with em if im the Original Raiser in a sense if im in late POS and its folded to me i will make standard raise with rare variations. UTG since i would be first raiser i would make standard raise. Easy ppeasy Hope this helps some one or mybe im wrong and some one can help me lol KEEP STACKING!!!

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I am really a short stack, I toss all small pairs (7 and under) away -- don't even play them late into the game . . . 8's and 9's are also iffy -- again depends on position and stack . . .

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the BB???

Usually with a small pair you can shove:

** Any position for 10bb or less;

** Mid-late position for 15bb or less;

** In the blinds facing a late position raise for 25bb or less

So everytime someone raises the late you will always push 25 or less. Wow i tried that i had to lower the bb to 15 for me cause i cant win flips or hit sets to save mylife. And what you do you consider small pairs. If you could my Post is a few above this one look at it plz and tell me if its ok or needs work. PLZ TY it would be awesome

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs

Hi, Since I only play freerolls, Micro MTT and League, rarely cash, I have noticed the majority of players play any pair all in all the time, which of course becomes misleading as how do you place them in a range? My personal strategy with pairs 77 or less is to min raise open or call if already limped then hope for set or checks. works occasionally however I rarely get busted out with small pair...on the other side of the coin I regularly lose with large pairs...lol:):):)

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my stack is less than 15 blinds, I think about going all in preflop. In UTG to MP1 I am very careful about going all in preflop with small pairs. With very small pairs (22-77) you often have a win rate of 50% at best on a call (for example if your opponent has 2 overcards). But sometimes you are the 80:20 outsider because someone has a higher pair. That's why I fold all very small pairs in UTG and MP1 (22-77). So in early position I only go all in with 88+. If I am in MP2 and no one has called or raised in front of me, I could imagine going all-in at 22. But it depends on the situation. When I'm about to get the prize money, I like to play tighter and prefer to fold 22.If I'm in late position (CU, BU) and no one has raised or called in front of me, I'll go all in preflop with every pair.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For late stage like the final table, I like to 3 bet fold small pairs if I have a big stack just to steal blinds. Otherwise, I just jam the pair.

turrui262

turrui262

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really like to put myself in these types of spots, but if it is blind war it is easier to resolve the situation

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it late pos from 10bbs or less with unopened pot, otherwise just fold

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often see someone with a small stack, and when a pair comes to him, he goes all-in, and someone with a lot of chips or someone else can call him and knock him out. Rather, it is a setup so that the little ones will quickly fly out of the game, it is better not to go all-in with these hands.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to go as far as possible in the tournament, preferably to the final table, so I try not to push with weak cards, including weak pocket pairs.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position, ladder, and table images..

For the small pair, late-stage all-in you want:
1. Position, you would like late position, see how aggressive table is.
2. If you are at 10 BB or less, risk/reward is often in favor of blind stealing, or taking the pot.
3. If the images of others at your table are of super TAGs, it's easier to get away with intimidating-looking all-ins

MJ23Bullz

MJ23Bullz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As always many factors affects your decision always in poker. For me in the late stage of a tournament it is only good going all in with a small pair if you are short stack (10-15 bb).

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My small pairs don't play anywhere, so I don't play them.It also depends on the importance of the tournament, if it is not important for me then I play for any pair)

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the size of your stack.
If you have a large game stack, then I would prefer not to play small pocket pairs if you are in an early position, in a late position you can call if 3-4 players have entered the pot, this is if you are lucky to catch a set, if you are not lucky, you will lose 3bb, and if you are lucky, you can win a little chips :D
Well, if you have a small stack, this is about 15-20bb, then in the early position you put all-in, there will be a coin and there are good chances to double the stack, in the late position if there are several players in the pot, it is better to wait with a small pocket pair, but this is individual, someone discards and someone plays.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big fan of all in with a small pair. They play poorly when used in that fashion. While there is a good chance you will be 50/50 you are actually opening up yourself to a wide range.

For example, you have 55. If you get called by A7 you pretty much have a coin flip. If you had 88 or 99 you are a 70/30 favorite with the same A7 call. This is why KK is ranked so high in the strength chart.

When called by a pair, it is usually a bigger pair putting you 20/80. If you had a medium pair, 88,99,1010, you could get called by 55-77 making you a favorite.

3rd, you are always subject to a board with 2 pair. If the board is 1010, 77, the odds of the villain not having a card larger than 55 is low.

Small pairs have their place, I personally don't want to put in all my chips with one if possible.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs in the final stages of the tournament I only play in position, but it all depends on your game and the people who are in them sometimes I open hands like utg1 with low pairs everything depends, but in most times I open hands much stronger hands .

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't shove 66 or below unless I'm lower than 10bb. I don't play 55s or below from UTG, +1 or +2 unless I'm deep with bbs. I'm not a nit - those hands rarely win unless they luck into a set, or the big Ace caller misses his magical Ace - which is hardly never.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is very versatile and depends on a lot of things. And not just all in exists with them preflopp either.