Playing Out of Position in Tournaments

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the article has some exaggeration about the ranges for 30 and 20-25 BB. In modern online poker in many poker rooms, a lot of tournaments with a hyper-turbo structure and short starting stacks. Those. the game immediately begins with small stacks and is very, very quickly accelerated by the growth of the blind and antes. On the one hand it lowers the ranges two or three times, on the other hand it reduces the game to push or fold decisions.

Especially it concerns the late positions at the table or short tables. The rest of the article makes sense and will be useful for learning and understanding.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love CardsChat because of the range of information that is of paramount importance to a poker player and what it takes to become a good player. I always commit sin in a starting position, sometimes playing with mediocre hands trying to hit the flop and I'm surprised by a raise, forcing me to fold my hand and lose my stacks. I strive to improve continuously and with the help of you CardsChat administrators one day I can become a good player. Thank you so much for everything.

H

Honest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some interesting points about stack size that I'd never considered.

I often play out of position with marginal or weak holdings representing a strong holding. I would only recommend this if you can afford it and you know when to pull out.

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Very good article, thanks to this adjustment of ranges of hands I think that I have been improving my game a lot and I hope to see a very good long-term result. I'm not desperate now, I know I'll be given that much-coveted grand prize soon. I really like reading this article because the tournaments are what I like the most. again thank you for choosing these interesting items for the tasks.

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is one of the most important factor of your "ABC" good game... Playing out of position might be as hard as trying to bluff Tom Dwan with 7 2 :) I don't think that playing out of position sometimes can be an advantage... Knowing what is your opp play before your turn to act is so important in poker ! (Maybe playing a nuts out off position against a very agressive opp is ok)

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting article. I am one of those who fold almost all the hands out of position.
Great tips to improve my game.
I pretty sure like the pré-floppy slow play in some cases due to my tight position and the article showed interesting other ways to do it very wise, especially with the shove all in thing. I think I am playing wrong KK, because I am beeing bust away from a lot of tournaments with KK against Ax. This can help me to improve this thing and not got busted.
Especially two Cliffnotes I liked:
4. Re-stealing is best against tags with high fold to 3-bet %.
7. You can flat out of position with a wider range against late position opens than early position opens.

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The table position is everything! It's so simple that you do not attach much importance to this knowledge, but not always the card with which you can enter the draw comes to you in a late position, I would even say rarely comes,so you have to play outside the position often and often to play!

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MTT is a bottomless ocean of tactics. Like all other types of poker. The main thing is not to be lazy, but read more of these articles and podcherpivat from each something to your note.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with the article about playing small pairs like 33 & 44 when you have 25 bbs. If you have 25 bbs you can see more flops out of position.

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Premium hands like suited ace king, ace queen and king queen big pair queens-aces i don't take much chances with ace jack or king jack those are trap hands out of position.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Nice read. I used to play way too passive from the SB. That is the biggest adjustment I have made to my game in the last few years. I 3b a decent range of hands from that position now. I also as always defend my BB wide.
I used to try steal pots out of position with semi bluffs but I tend to just check and try realise my equity now. I have found this has been doing well for me lately.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop call then post-flop auto-shove move

One comment on the pre-flop call then post-flop shove. You really need to do this based on how large the pre-flop betting is. If you have to drop to below 10BBs to make this pre-flop move then it's not worth it because the size of the pot is going to dictate people to call your post-flop shove when multiple people are in the pot. People are rarely going to fold to a 10BB bet when there's over 45BBs in the pot already. So, pay attention to how much you'd have to get in pre-flop before deciding to make this move.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally, those who place their bets first need stronger hands to open the bet than those who bet later. This is because the basic odds of a better hand at the table increase based on the number of players who have not had the opportunity to make the bet, so when we are out of position we have to be very careful because we can lose more chips than we think and more if we go with marginal hands, and good article, every day we read more about poker in this community with excellent articles

Misely31

Misely31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Excellent subject, I am learning more every day about poker techniques. Playing in position for what I read means that the player who is in this situation is the last to make his move, therefore, to play out of position, only very good hands should be played. We must play the hands that have aces, kings and couples. Second, if we have a pair of Aces, Kings or Queens, or an Ace with King, we increase a bit depending on the table if it is loose or if there are aggressive players, but in general, when we are out of position, we should not be aggressive and Play careful hands to make the best game we can.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
in my opinion playing out of position you only have to do it when you have a lot of chips or with a good cards of course, it is not advisable to play out of position when you are shortstack, playing out of position means that you will always be dominated by other players

I agree with Ed! Better stick onto playing OOP only with top 10 hands except the situation when you are a chipleader where you could try dominate with wider range.
Bet sizing is also very important! We do not want to be called by too many players when we are dealt AA or KK, so raise respectfully :top:

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, these subtleties are needed, but not for playing freerolls.
And even in the micro-limits, you can not remember about it. Anyway, your nerves will often check for any 2 cards

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The truth eh seen several players playing out of position and this happens more in less bluy in tournaments in micro limits. I served quite this article because sometimes also play hands from out of position, and poker is very important the position in which respective hands must be played.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a great Article! just learn a lot About Playing Out Of position, Now I realize that I've been doing lot of calls OOP wrong I learn now to consider my stack size which is an element that I was ignoring at all times I will put this strategy guide on practice and see how it goes, Thanks CC :D

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is important if you have more than 25 blinds, and when it is less-it is not so important , I play in my range without paying attention to the position, but this is my opinion!

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is crucial in a Strategy game and when it comes to poker positions and ranges I would say that all depends on your stack and on the tournament stages I can play really tight and only from the latest and strongest positions at early stages but once I have more than 50-70 big blinds I widen up my range because a polarized range and a Tight range could be exploited by any opponents who is observant and they could bust you out of some critical pots just because of that.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Beautiful article.

I particularly, when I am playing really serious, only play out of position against extremely predictable players or when I have a lot of information. Otherwise, I just open it.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t mind playing out of position and that does get me in trouble sometimes when playing vs early position opens. I think one very important thing to think about when playing OOP is pot control, you don’t want to bloat a pot and make it harder to get to the river.

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Excellent article!I just figured out about importance of the position a short while ago. Look! There's no such thing as the perfect conditions and circumstances in the poker for all time! You have to seek for opportunity all the time at the table to profile yourself and sail with every shift of wind! Knowledge is the key of the skill!Go for it!

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good read, very good info there. One thing though, I personally don't agree with flatting your range, even if you're new. Sure, make it a 90% flat and play 2-3 gappers once in a while, if the price is fair. Be a surprise if you hit nuts with dumb hands played smartly. Check call them and you'll get raised and win the honey.