Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Playing out of position is always difficult and tricky, regardless if we are talking about cash gamnes or tournaments. But there are time in a MTT that you have to make your move, even if you are OOP. Like, trying to steal some pots with suited Kings, or some connectors, or some crappy Ax hands.

Last edited:
xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we always have to take into account our position our stack of chips the style of play of the opponents and the hand that we have sometimes a hand the intuition even if it sounds supertitious and being the aggressor for being of bigger chips can give you that advantage of playing in against everything already known
:dancing2:

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some great input here and looks like this is an article we can get updated by a more experienced player.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plenty of spots where we can peel/defend on sub 25bb, even with small pairs!

Lots of incorrect info in this article.

Playing OOP is tough for sure, and lots of factors impact our decisions.

Can you pick out a couple of specific things in the article that you feel strongly about being incorrect and let us know what you say about them?

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is the second important aspect of the game, after the cards. When I am out of position, I often 3-betting light and use scary boards to scoop the pot. Dont be too tight, use various betting patterns and be aggressive in the right spots. You need to choose your spot wisely. Nevertheless, playing in the position is far more comfortable and that is where the money come from.

Last edited:
Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion playing out of position you only have to do it when you have a lot of chips or with a good cards of course, it is not advisable to play out of position when you are shortstack, playing out of position means that you will always be dominated by other players

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Definitely playing in position and out of position in poker is very important and there is a big difference ... starting with your range of hands ... when you are out of position your range of hands you must close a bit to not expose yourself to that an opponent raises you and you have to fold your hand giving away chips. On the other hand when you are in positions like the button or the cutoff .. you have the possibility to open more your range of hands and get more out of your position ...

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can pick up trash hands from an early position to confuse people, portraying a strong hand if the table is calm and tense, of course.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is important. OOP you can play with good hands, i think that you can play not just AK, AA, AQ, I Like small pairs or suited connectors. If you play just strong cards you are more predictable.
In position you can play with garbage if you know how.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Usually when I'm out of position play very cautiously watching if any player has made an increase in chips to decide what to do I cause I'm not a strong hand like AA KK is fold, but if I'm with AA or KK at least I raise 3BB

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When every single player at the table is at least "solid" I noticed I would frequently get 3 bet OOP. So I limped hands that played optimally with a flop raised hands that I wanted a 3 bet confrontation so I can jam shove them in the face.

Point being careful OOP in $5/10 or higher and MDS MTTs

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The longer I play the more I realize the importance of position.
You want to play those two cards so much, but there are 6,7, or 8 players after you, Aghhhhhhh, Pat

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's important to remember that in theory these tips work best when you play live or just in more expensive online tournaments, since most tournaments are turbo and with few chips, by something like this not to mention the main part of the algorithms.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take the position,but it happens to diversify the game play out of position...

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I prefer flatting some suited connectors or some one gapers if the player who acts after me is a passive one. You can check/raise if the board hits better your flatting range than the initial's raiser or if he is overactive post flop.

So many factors that a single article can't cover.They are some basic guidelines but still I will call every day my pocket pair with many participants and if I am the one who closes the action. Incredible situation to stack off some sticky players.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing out of position is a major strategy flaw/leak, unless you have a very good hand. Being in position makes many decisions much easier to arrive at. I try to play position poker most of the time. Good article.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Power of position is very important if you are last to act gives you a big advantage.
Calling bets in early position with weak hands is a bad idea due to having to fold to squeeze play.
the earlier positions need stronger starting hands.

timberwolf94

timberwolf94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a pretty good artical. i really need to start learning more about position. i think its my biggest weakness in poker

gorbonz2020

gorbonz2020

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think position is a huge part of game..

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is very important when it comes to chip management. I like to play in position as the blinds raise so I can continue to manage my chips for final table. A lot of players do not understand this aspect of the game

Destruct51

Destruct51

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we play out of position its definitely our gambling side of nature, when playing poker the hardest thing to master is when to have emotion or feeling. Do u ride the wave of the roller coaster or are you a frozen river, just waiting to freeze people out. It seems the best players in the world are cold at the table and only show emotion when needed. that ying and yang. Not hot or cold really. just calm waiting to destroy or flow on by with a fold. But simply it is a gamblers position, and sometimes its needed. happy felts!!!:D

Yes, the range of play more higher paid pots changes diversly. Playing loose at times will definitely bite u in the butt. online tournament play with 2k plus players, so many hands. choose wisely!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing out of position is a problem when you do not know how to play a good post-flop. Usually when out of position, your call range needs to be very well adjusted, and when you enter the play, you need to have a plan to take this forward as far as the River if possible.
I like to say playing out of position is the time to multiply!

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I believe that playing in a position at the table is easier and more profitable, because it is in this position that I can make a move by analyzing the actions of my opponents in advance, which in turn allows me to control the game and make optimal decisions.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Position is a very important strategic factor.When it can be combined with good hands, then you have a very good situation. But again is one of the important factors. A good position does not mean sure victory all the times. The most important is the player and his decisions and how he will use his advantages.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the article, is very good, I think it's very important to play position and to play out of position, I think you should have very strong hands, or get to know your opponent.