Playing low pocket pairs, early position, late in tournament

DaBrowner

DaBrowner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm looking for some feedback on how to play pocket pairs maybe 8s or lower in early postion, later in tournaments where your blinds are large. I have been laying them down, not sure if this is correct?

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, when a have a medium stack, i try to limp in by the cheaper way possible, and maybe i can hit the trio and probably win a nice pot. If i have a nice stack, more than 25bbs, i only make a pre-flop call if the raise is less than 2,5bb, otherwise i fold all time. When i have a short stack i just fold and wait for the right spot. I have seen a lot of players wasting all their stacks with hands like pocket pairs. They overestimate too much those hands. They are really dangerous, believe me.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me it depends on position and other players stacks. if im on the button ill raise if no one else has raised. if im under the gun ill either call or fold depending on stack sizes.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO if youre under 20 BBs shove, 20-40 BBs fold to a raise otherwise call the blinds, 40+ BBs call an average raise (2.5 bb) fold to a big raise. Hope that helps gl.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm looking for some feedback on how to play pocket pairs maybe 8s or lower in early postion, later in tournaments where your blinds are large. I have been laying them down, not sure if this is correct?

It's probably correct, especially if there is a big stack who may call you pretty wide, but sometimes you can get away with shoving early near the bubble. It's a gamble though because at best you have only a slight edge preflop.

I

idromerom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
with a small pair in late phase of the tournament would be preferable to see a cheap flop, because if you do not get to connect Trio going to go down most of the time, that's just a factor, you should also consider those left play, the number of chips, playing a small pair can let out so you have to play cautiously and fold to any aggression if overcards on the table

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should always do the same bet youve been doing throughout the tourney. When late in a tourney my bets always a min bet, as im not wanting to play massive pots aswell as inducing calls with my monsters. But say your UTG with 55, min raising shows lots of strength, and so unless people have monsters they aren't 3 betting. Limping shows high weakness unless its from a well respected or known-tricky player. Just min raise looking for a set to win a good pot, if not you can just c-bet to win or just give up if you think your opponents hit, you only lose 2bbs anyway that way.

a true nit

a true nit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
like i always say everything is situational i dont like giving blanket statements when it comes to playing certain hands..but more times than not i would either limp or raise 1.5 x - 2x and set mine

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think late in the tournement it's unnecessary to play low pocket pair, just because probably you don't hit the set and you don't can call any other raises and loose your blinds. I know big pots can slip through your fingers, but it's maybe better not to loose your blinds every time you get a small pocket pair. I carefully play only high cards late in the tournement and try to avoid aggressive playing. I wait betweenwhiles the other players get knocked out, who have a small stack.
But the question is what would you play when you are already satisfied with your rank.

Raving Lunatic

Raving Lunatic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually will not play a pair lower then 66 but I have been known to at least see the flop on SB. Since I am usually halfway in might as well. I do not see any reason to go all in with a lower pair pre flop.

P

paperboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, i don't like playing low pocket pairs if im not in a good position late in a tournament, especially if im under the gun. Normally i will play if im dealer, but late on i dont want to be throwing chips away by being forced to fold to a raise on the flop.

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quite like low pocket pairs if I can limp in, I wouldn't invest in them but I'll call. If I have 4's and the flop is like A94 no one suspects the 4 of any mischief at all, attention is on the ace.

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early position I'll try to limp in unless there is an agressive player who raises alot then I'll make a min raise to try to get to the flop as cheaply as possible.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would put my normal pre flop raise in, If i'm re raised i can fold, if just called i can c-bet the flop and take it from there.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow alot of bad advice here with low PP :S

ok, its a myth that if you are in EP you should be limping in.....
unless you are deep stacked its bad play
if your first in the pot you should be the agressor
but in EP you risk being re raised
now if your opponents are exceptionally bad, then they will let you see a cheap flop and nobody will raise, but the more limpers the higer the raise will be, the higher the raise the less of a factor implied odds becomes.
Also from EP your out of position, so how do you play it?
do you get agressive if you hit a set, or slow play it?
if you slow play it what if it doesnt get raised?
how much are you going to get from your set realistically in an unopened pot?

so from EP your not looking to get involved
however when in late position, you have more info + opponents are more likely to raise before it gets to you from LP as a result you have implied odds, you can also see exactly how big the pot is before making your decision, and you have more options of "re raising, or flat call set mining"
depending on what your hoping to accomplish

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends,

If I have a decent stack size, average say, I am staying out of the hand, or, limping if I think everyone behind me will limp or fold.

If I am short stacked, less than 10 BB, not adjusted for antes, I am shoving and give others a tough decision on whether to get their chips in or not.

V

vinnie82x

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would sometimes put in a small call with low pairs,just see do i hit my third, and if not prob through them away,only if the raise was small i would call,and if i was realy low stack very low i would push all in on low pockets.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're shortstack fold in early positions, if you're bigstack open raise.

J

Jeschant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Found a pretty nice chart on likelihood someone else has higher pocket pair, depending on what you have. If the table is fairly tight at the time, I shove any of them when shortstacked hoping for the blinds or to win out against overcards and maybe double up. Although I will say that works out spectacularly bad for me often enough that I worry I'm missing something. Two callers is certainly no fun and a risk shoving from early with a short stack. http://wizardofodds.com/ask-the-wizard/texas-hold-em/probability-pairs/

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What in lords name is going on here.

If the blinds are huge as was stated by the op you don't limp with any hand full stop. You raise them hoping to either take down the blinds/antes or if u get called see a favourable flop that you can push a caller out of. If you get re raised you make a decision based on what you have seen from that player and whether you need to take a risk and try to double through.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If the blinds are huge as was stated by the op you don't limp with any hand full stop. You raise them hoping to either take down the blinds/antes or if u get called see a favourable flop that you can push a caller out of. If you get re raised you make a decision based on what you have seen from that player and whether you need to take a risk and try to double through.

+1 good answer

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Finally someone that agrees with my accessment

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Huge compared to what? If you have a big stack why would you want to just take down the blinds? (with any hand)

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm thats a nice question. Earlier i used to play these low pocket pairs in early position at late stages quite often and these were terrible mistakes !!!
Some of my poker friends including few here at cards chat advised me strictly to steer clear off them at late stages. Even though i was bit reluctant initially to let them go off ,I took up their advice and it really did lot of good to my tournament career so far. I advice you too to steer clear off them.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
late in tourney implies to me that we are in a shortish stack situation....maybe you even have an average stack but your M may only be 10

if that is the case, I am going to muck small pairs in early position. I might open for my standard raise with 88+ UTG and 77+ in mid position and 55+ in late position.

that is until you get really short stacked and then you'll open shove 44+ or 55+ in almost any position

the real value in small pocket pairs is flopping a well disguised set and late in a tourney stacks are not deep enough to be set mining.