Online Tourneys..how to play?

A

AndersOh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all
I’m very new to poker and am looking for the best place to learn how to play online tournaments. I find I start out fine build up my pot but come mid game I wind up losing it too easily. Also how do you play in a game where people are constantly going all-in? With limited chips at the start of a tournament it seems to make it an almost impossible task to make it to mid tournament.

I really need to find a guide that’s not too jargony for me. And while there’s plenty of articles/YouTubers out there they don’t always offer solid advice that you can put into action. And for a newbie the jargon is so hard to get past. So can anyone recommend a good easy to understand guide to playing online tournaments?
Appreciate any advice you can give.

J

JJLakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just started.. Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days.It does have the jargon but they teach what it means and is actually part of the lessons.I know it will help me so that is what I recommend ,good luck.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Currently I do not know which site offers what you are looking for, but when I started in the game I read at pokerstars school, there I learned a little and with time and experience and my intuition I have been able to go far in tournaments probably most of the pages you get will use a lot of poker lingo, because the point is that people can learn all that in the technical way

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to play carefully at the beginning. It is important that you know when to enter the game. Learn from other players, watch them play.
Hey all
I’m very new to poker and am looking for the best place to learn how to play online tournaments. I find I start out fine build up my pot but come mid game I wind up losing it too easily. Also how do you play in a game where people are constantly going all-in? With limited chips at the start of a tournament it seems to make it an almost impossible task to make it to mid tournament.

I really need to find a guide that’s not too jargony for me. And while there’s plenty of articles/YouTubers out there they don’t always offer solid advice that you can put into action. And for a newbie the jargon is so hard to get past. So can anyone recommend a good easy to understand guide to playing online tournaments?

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Alexpoker22

Alexpoker22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
first you need to have time, have patience with the hands,cause the shuffle of cards sometimes is bad, and you get bored and play all in with anyhand cause the blinds are loose stack

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You also have to bluff from time to time. Strong cards will not always come.

A

AndersOh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Grt tip

Thanks for the tips I’m open to learning as much as I can but when there’s so much out there it’s hard to know which advice is best and especially as a beginner I feel the need to learn the basics before getting too ahead of my station!!! I’ll certainly check this link out. Thanks

CardsChat Ambassador pros Collin Moshman and Katie Dozier, present “Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days” is a MasterClass-style seminar available for free to all CardsChat members. It's a version of a 'Poker Bootcamp' that members have been giving positive feedback.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...ight=Become+a+Winning+Poker+Player+in+30+Days

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're finding that you are playing in a lot of tournaments that seem to be "all-in fests", I would suspect that you are playing in lower limit tournaments, where the buy-ins are no big deal for players.

If found, over the years, that once you get into the $15+ buy-ins, that players are a lot more serious, and cautious. Problem is, they're also a heck of a lot better.

If you're playing lower levels, let the all-in people, play themselves out of the tournament. This invariably will happen. They'll be gone, and you'll still have your chips to play with.

Works for me, anyway.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all

If you are serious about the tournament and others are constantly frivolous ... you can easily do well in the long run. Those who are constantly pushing all their money are the easiest to play against.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey all

Then the one that comes out well from the constant push, typically doesn’t calm down and play a calm good game either! So they can be easily exploited even after that... Guess we're talking about a freeroll?!

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days" course is probably very good. I've seen a number of posts that refer to it here.

Since you also mentioned YouTubers I've found a three episode YouTube playlist that seems pretty good. It's called "The 5 Preflop Plays You Need to Succeed (at Poker)". I've tried applying it to my play. So far I'm happy with the results in short handed cash games but no luck yet with nine person tables in tournaments. It "should" work I think, so I'll keep trying.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrNnyWekagPjhAXn0UCemd2xihgtTUYl

I too am always on the lookout for good learning resources. It's so nice to have such a great information resource like Cardschat to discuss these things! :)

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
With a lot of patience, and try the same tourney several times a week.